Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just shows how hard it is to piece together why a team is under performing from the outside. Bev looked washed at times in 2023 e.g. his interview before the Eagles game and the ensuing debacle. The internal view that Bev was still up to it but needed a change of structure and more support around him has been proven correct. Barring another late season collapseroonie.
I’m still a bit nervous about the next two, but it’s just because of what happened last year. This year we’ve generally beaten who we should though so it’s likely just Bulldog PTSD.

At a bare minimum, the changes we have been bedding down this season after a 2nd successive review by the club should have been made 12 months earlier after the first review.

Where would we be ATM if they had? I’d certainly have more tooth enamel for one

Loving the way we are playing right now , but it’s not to bev’s credit that the club had to go to such extremes to get him to pull his head in, embrace change, and accept help and other points of view.

I prefer the version of bev we have now to the 2017-2023 version - seems more like the pre-flag model
Some of it may not have been in his control though. Certainly Grant’s role wasn’t and there might have been issues he raised that the club did nothing about.

It might be there were things that were obvious that the club should have actioned earlier. I’m glad they’ve been done though. Plenty of clubs (ie Essendon) just periodically sack the coach and change little else, and just get the same results over and over.

I’m still a bit nervous about the next two, but it’s just because of what happened last year. This year we’ve generally beaten who we should though so it’s likely just Bulldog PTSD.

We’re the gnarled older heads that have decades of trauma. There are teenage Dogs supporters that have seen us go 2 from 2 in prelims. What a time.

Some of it may not have been in his control though. Certainly Grant’s role wasn’t and there might have been issues he raised that the club did nothing about.

It might be there were things that were obvious that the club should have actioned earlier. I’m glad they’ve been done though. Plenty of clubs (ie Essendon) just periodically sack the coach and change little else, and just get the same results over and over.

true that, from an environment perspective, but the gameplan is 100% the coaches responsibility, and Bev just wasnt budging on that until the pitchforks came out.

anyway, time to let it go now I guess. The desired change has been enacted and it should be onward and upward from here. We have a ripper list, a competitive gameplan, and we are hungry.

We’re the gnarled older heads that have decades of trauma. There are teenage Dogs supporters that have seen us go 2 from 2 in prelims. What a time.
My, at the time, 13 y.o son said that he had waited all his life to see the Bulldogs win a premiership..... When he was little, he cried after Johno missed the goal after the siren, because he just expected that we would be playing finals 🙂

My, at the time, 13 y.o son said that he had waited all his life to see the Bulldogs win a premiership..... When he was little, he cried after Johno missed the goal after the siren, because he just expected that we would be playing finals 🙂
We younger folk just don't understand the chains of history that bind those that have come before us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they still want Bevo sacked because they didn’t see us in a final series for one year of their lives

can we please stop the all or nothing, black and white, Bevo lovers versus Bevo haters, its not that simple

'Bevo haters' had very sound reasons for being disgruntled, many of which came out in the review and resulted in change, he had looked cooked for 18 months, and 'we' are happy with the last 6 or so weeks

'Bevo lovers' stuck fat and kept an eye on his broader record within our historical context, bully to you, but this is still a purple patch until it is not.

To think that Rory Lobb may have saved Luke Beveridge’ contract by playing as a stingy backman! Great mid season move.

And they still want Bevo sacked because they didn’t see us in a final series for one year of their lives

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Last year we lost to a team having one of the worst seasons in history in a game to cement a top 8 spot, after losing to the team in 16th place the week before.

We're all happy that Bevo turned it around, but this revisionist history that people wanting Bevo sacked had no reason and were just impatient is completely false.

Last edited:
The review and subsequent changes seem to have allowed Bevo to do what he does best which is unite inspire and motivate his charges.

At the same time the dramatically different tactical approach to the game strongly suggests the influence of some of the new coaching blood.

The other area of concern which I and others raised earlier this year and perhaps last year too was the administration that had allowed the situation to develop where Bevo had to do it all. An impossible ask. One or other of the reviews and subsequent changes seems to have addressed much of that so credit to KWW and team for fixing up a problem they had helped create.

As others have said there’s still time for it to go pear-shaped so let’s see how it pans out. Something I’ve been saying all year.

can we please stop the all or nothing, black and white, Bevo lovers versus Bevo haters, its not that simple

'Bevo haters' had very sound reasons for being disgruntled, many of which came out in the review and resulted in change, he had looked cooked for 18 months, and 'we' are happy with the last 6 or so weeks

'Bevo lovers' stuck fat and kept an eye on his broader record within our historical context, bully to you, but this is still a purple patch until it is not.
Exactly - the situation behind the scenes is surely far more nuanced as well.

I would think that there was some multi-year strategy behind the initial review. There would be so many factors to consider (as raised across this thread) and actions needed to identify the root causes for our problems. I imagine the approach would involve evaluating the results as they went and acting on these, leading to the bigger changes this past off season. The alternative might've been wholesale changes straight up, with the risk of a mass exodus and us ending up in a North-like situation.

In the (potentially hypothetical!) situation I've put up above, a very real possibility from the evaluations could've been sacking Bevo. On the evidence so far, it looks like the right choices may have been made at the right time. We'll never know though, as the club has (quite rightly) done it all quietly in-house.

Of course, operating as a black box doesn't help us emotionally and financially invested supporters. It's human nature to fill the information void with the worst case scenario in normal circumstances, let alone our situation as supporters with the results that we've had to endure!

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Last year we lost to a team having one of the worst seasons in history in a game to cement a top 8 spot, after losing to the team in 16th place the week before.

We're all happy that Bevo turned it around, but this revisionist history that people wanting Bevo sacked had no reason and were just impatient is completely false.
In which those losses probably dropped us to about being the 11th best team in the league, while accepting that was isolating us at our worse and there's natural fluctuation.

Isolating one game (or two games), in my opinion doesn't prove anything - because if it did, it would be reflective of a truly bad team that keeping much of the same players wouldn't be in the position it is now.

Keep in mind as a smaller, Melbourne club, I would expect us over the long run or stripped of all people and just the institution of our size to be about the 11th best team anyway.

People were acting as if we were a bottom 6 team, or that Bevo wasn't a good or at least average or better coach, or that we were playing worse than about the 11th best team in the league at the time that we lost the game (sometimes the 18th best team in football beats the 11th best team in football.

It's revisionist history to claim that people saying Bevo should be sacked is itself revisionist history imo.

In which those losses probably dropped us to about being the 11th best team in the league, while accepting that was isolating us at our worse and there's natural fluctuation.

Isolating one game (or two games), in my opinion doesn't prove anything - because if it did, it would be reflective of a truly bad team that keeping much of the same players wouldn't be in the position it is now.

Keep in mind as a smaller, Melbourne club, I would expect us over the long run or stripped of all people and just the institution of our size to be about the 11th best team anyway.

People were acting as if we were a bottom 6 team, or that Bevo wasn't a good or at least average or better coach, or that we were playing worse than about the 11th best team in the league at the time that we lost the game (sometimes the 18th best team in football beats the 11th best team in football.

It's revisionist history to claim that people saying Bevo should be sacked is itself revisionist history imo.
I'm in Al dente's corner.

Too many nerny-nerny-nerr posts.
Too much posturing.
Too much haranguing and too little persuasion.
Too much placing "people" in pro- or anti- Bevo camps. (I don't like polls for that reason)
Too little acknowledgement of nuance and unknowns (both future and past).

When threads get like that then mental gymnastics and revisionism are very likely to follow because it positions (or pushes) posters into places they don't really want to be.

Here's hoping we can now get back to producing more light than heat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back