Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

In which those losses probably dropped us to about being the 11th best team in the league, while accepting that was isolating us at our worse and there's natural fluctuation.

Isolating one game (or two games), in my opinion doesn't prove anything - because if it did, it would be reflective of a truly bad team that keeping much of the same players wouldn't be in the position it is now.

Keep in mind as a smaller, Melbourne club, I would expect us over the long run or stripped of all people and just the institution of our size to be about the 11th best team anyway.

People were acting as if we were a bottom 6 team, or that Bevo wasn't a good or at least average or better coach, or that we were playing worse than about the 11th best team in the league at the time that we lost the game (sometimes the 18th best team in football beats the 11th best team in football.

It's revisionist history to claim that people saying Bevo should be sacked is itself revisionist history imo.

I really can’t agree with this mentality.

We came off a GF final loss and didn’t make finals at all in the next two years after that. This was an objective failure.

People were right to feel like Bevo wasn’t the right person, people were right to feel like the list wasn’t good enough, people were right to feel however they wanted.

In a result based league isolated games definitely should and do weigh more due a to a variety of factors.

The size of the team shouldn’t impact expectations, especially in a salary capped domestic league.

Anyway, this doesn’t matter now. Bevo has got the boys firing and hopefully we can finish the season strong.

Last edited:

I really can’t agree with this mentality.

We came off a GF final loss and didn’t make finals at all in the next two years after that. This was an objective failure.

People were right to feel like Bevo wasn’t the right person, people were right to feel like the list wasn’t good enough, people were right to feel however they wanted.

In a result based league isolated games definitely should and do weigh more due a to a variety of factors.

The size of the team shouldn’t impact expectations, especially in a salary capped domestic league.

Anyway, this doesn’t matter now. Bevo has got the boys firing and hopefully we can finish the season strong.
I guess Craig Macrae isn’t safe now either….Premiers to most likely missing finals…..and all with the best player in the league Daicos……

It shows they are bloody hard to win now….not easy like when Essendon won 14 of their 16….shows how shit they are

I guess Craig Macrae isn’t safe now either….Premiers to most likely missing finals…..and all with the best player in the league Daicos……

It shows they are bloody hard to win now….not easy like when Essendon won 14 of their 16….shows how shit they are

Since 2016 we have only had one season where we have won a finals game (2021).

Bevo was a huge part of my best footballing memories and he’ll always be a legend of the club. However, in my opinion it’s ok to admit as a whole we have largely underperformed since 2016.

The idea that if you don't win multiple premierships it's a failure is just a microcosm of what the media has forced football to become. Every win, even the grand final, is never about enjoying the moment. It's about ladder position, or draft picks, or brownlow votes, or building a dynasty. Living is the present doesn't sell newspapers or get clicks so it's ignored for some 'bigger picture' view that means everything in the end isn't good enough.

Sorry for the rant, but it really irritates me.

The idea that if you don't win multiple premierships it's a failure is just a microcosm of what the media has forced football to become. Every win, even the grand final, is never about enjoying the moment. It's about ladder position, or draft picks, or brownlow votes, or building a dynasty. Living is the present doesn't sell newspapers or get clicks so it's ignored for some 'bigger picture' view that means everything in the end isn't good enough.

I could not agree more. It's about the journey not the destination. Sometimes you make it, sometimes you don't. Expectation is the mother of disappointment. If your expectation is that you'll win every game and every flag or make the top four every year or make finals every year then you're going to be disappointed. I prefer hope and aspiration over expectation.

Sure, its not whether you win or lose its how you play the game. But we were wernt playing to our potential which is frustrating. Losing the same way to the same teams is frustrating. Now that we are playing well, footy is fun again, and it will be great to see how far our best will take us.

Just enjoy the ride!
The unpredictability, the unknowns, the euphoric highs..
(Along with the gut-wrenching, stomach churning lows!)
Be a pretty boring bloody pastime if we won every single week of every year?

Just enjoy the ride!
I think I could cope.

Just enjoy the ride!
For us oldies who have been through the bad old days and just enjoying 2016, 2021 and our current phase with all the young green shoots. You cannot beat the feeling of success.

I could not agree more. It's about the journey not the destination. Sometimes you make it, sometimes you don't. Expectation is the mother of disappointment. If your expectation is that you'll win every game and every flag or make the top four every year or make finals every year then you're going to be disappointed. I prefer hope and aspiration over expectation.
It's the only way to approach it really.

We are 1 in 18 and most years we don't ultimately win.

The Prelim/GF loss years can be viewed as painful, lost chances etc if you are purely outcome focussed.

If so, we've had 1 really good year in several decades with the prospect of a similar future (give or take).

If you can't enjoy the ride, you are setting yourself up to be tortured.

I remember back in the late 80s we lost to Melbourne in the final round to miss finals (the win got them in for the first time in many years).

After the initial hurt, I remember a group of us saying it was a good year because we were a mathematical chance up until the final day.

Admittedly, expectations were low back then, but I still reckon the sentiment is about right.

The only years that truly suck are those when all hope of even finals are gone before the final round.

From that perspective, Bevo has given us 9 good years out of 10, which is a pretty damn good decade.

So I am thankful to Bevo and everyone who contributes to that record.

Having said that, another flag or 2 in the near future certainly wouldn't go astray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sensing a bit of trepidation about this week and the remaining games. We've been in this situation before and failed. We generally haven't done well when we're expected to.

Let's see if things have changed.

Bang on the money unfortunately.

Today it wasn't the coach. Nothing experimentally dodgy about his selections or structure. Just a piss poor effort.

I'm sensing a bit of trepidation about this week and the remaining games. We've been in this situation before and failed. We generally haven't done well when we're expected to.

Let's see if things have changed.

Playing like the dogs of old today

Christ you know it’s a bad loss when the discussion immediately turns philosophical.

Obviously 1/18 teams wins a flag each season and it doesn’t mean 17 other teams have had shit seasons.

But it’s a bit accepting of our small club status to resort to dismissing the sport as being ultimately outcome based so we can celebrate all these seasons we’ve achieved being a mid-table team.

I think we should aspire to expect success with the players we have. Not to say the journey isn’t enjoyed either. It’s been a crazy season, let’s see what happens, but sitting back and being content with finishing 7-9 three straight seasons following what was a mostly dominant 2021 (if this is what happens) is kind of weak. Bigger and more successful clubs than ours expect more, we are just easily pleased I think.

Not to knock on how anyone enjoys the footy. We all take from it what we will. But imo there’s an element of small market defeatism in how we manage expectations.

Bang on the money unfortunately.

Today it wasn't the coach. Nothing experimentally dodgy about his selections or structure. Just a piss poor effort.

You’re right, Buku on Fogarty was a great coaching decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back