Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think the club whether it be the coaches or admin aren't demanding enough. They can't be.

The players clearly think they can just get away with the sort of weak, soft s*** efforts they put in today because it's not the first time this year or in recent years that it's happened.

Elite clubs don't accept that crap. They demand better, they have higher standards. It's games like today where top 4 was on the line and is now blown, that should result in some players never wearing our colours again and others being severely admonished. Today was all about effort and far too often we still fail to bring it when it's so desperately needed. We pick and choose.

Utter garbage.

If the club thinks that people are going to pay up to see us beat all the top sides but lose to the very bottom sides in embarrassing fashion year after year, they are in for a surprise.
Yeah, we do. Turn up. That’s the cross we Bulldogs supporters have always had to bear.

Bob Murphy leaving Freo, would love for him to have a role here.
What role?
I'm not convinced he's got a skillset to help us off field. Let him enjoy a media career again.

If the club thinks that people are going to pay up to see us beat all the top sides but lose to the very bottom sides in embarrassing fashion year after year, they are in for a surprise.
I think what everyone forgets is that Adelaide put their best side for the whole season on the park this week

The season is also so tight that you only have to be off a few % and you get rolled - we were off this week and I fully expected it. Thanks Sportsbet…Cha Ching

I’ve said it all year, we are not a top 4 list or team this year, still too many variables. I see us as a 7-8 team who might pinch a final. In this season there are no stand outs anywhere. 6 weeks ago Maclure and Richo were saying this will be the first time in 40 years that Coll, Ess and Carl all make the top 4. 6 weeks later they are all outside the 8.

Stress less people

I think what everyone forgets is that Adelaide put their best side for the whole season on the park this week

The season is also so tight that you only have to be off a few % and you get rolled - we were off this week and I fully expected it. Thanks Sportsbet…Cha Ching

I’ve said it all year, we are not a top 4 list or team this year, still too many variables. I see us as a 7-8 team who might pinch a final. In this season there are no stand outs anywhere. 6 weeks ago Maclure and Richo were saying this will be the first time in 40 years that Coll, Ess and Carl all make the top 4. 6 weeks later they are all outside the 8.

Stress less people

So then you think, why with a top
4 spot on the line would we be 'off'? What would make us think we could just phone in the effort when we've been so good for a month? Get me the sports psych fast.

So then you think, why with a top
4 spot on the line would we be 'off'? What would make us think we could just phone in the effort when we've been so good for a month? Get me the sports psych fast.
Because i think we are still mentally fragile, lots of inexperience out there and I probably would have made a couple of changes this week to freshen the squad up. It’s great going unchanged, but its also reeking of complacency.

It’s the Bulldog way unfortunately. Lose when we should win and Win unexpectedly

Media blew smoke up our arses all week and I’m sure the players listen to it

I expect we will make a couple of changes next week and absolutely blow North off the park

Three huge efforts in a row. Easily the best we’ve played since the 21 finals. Finally knocking over sides above us again.

If we can avoid any more Bears/Paer style disappearing acts for the rest of the year we’ll have found that consistency the club has been searching for and we should play finals.

Narrator: “They weren’t consistent. There was another disappearing act.”

Because i think we are still mentally fragile, lots of inexperience out there and I probably would have made a couple of changes this week to freshen the squad up. It’s great going unchanged, but its also reeking of complacency.

It’s the Bulldog way unfortunately. Lose when we should win and Win unexpectedly

Media blew smoke up our arses all week and I’m sure the players listen to it

I expect we will make a couple of changes next week and absolutely blow North off the park
Hardly inexperienced. We dropped sanders, Freijah and Gallagher presumably to toughen us up for the finals run.

A 20 yo (Darcy) was arguably our best.

We need to stop making excuses.

Matty Boyd is the former Bulldog of choice for me. Just based off his qualities displayed as a player really, you know what he would and wouldn’t accept.

That he and Bevo probably wouldn’t get along is a good thing.

Although all in all I’d rather us stay away from hiring old Bulldogs unless they’re the best candidate for the job completely independent of their history with the club.

Remember the promise of hiring a goal kicking coach, which dragged on until we settled on a part time goal kicking consultant - which so happened to be Brad Johnson? Amazing coincidence. And our goalkicking, which has always been bad under Bevo, is worse than ever.

Pratt and Egan were good moves. Highly rated with no ties. More of that please.

Stress less people
Rankine back (an actual All-Australian quality player in a legitimate sense and not just the way that the media throws around the term All-Australian) and the fact that we had 1 more total shot than them for the game. It's bad, but it's not the out and out disaster people are making it out to be. Away wins are hard, especially up against big crowds in Perth and Adelaide.

Hardly inexperienced. We dropped sanders, Freijah and Gallagher presumably to toughen us up for the finals run.

A 20 yo (Darcy) was arguably our best.

We need to stop making excuses.
VDM 65
Juh 64
West 57
McNeil 51
Garcia 31
Poulter 28
Khamis 26
Darcy 25

Still not vastly experienced by any stretch especially the bottom 4. Barely a season of experience between them

I don’t think Khamis makes it, VDM does what he does but i wish we could find a cleaner player to play that role, Garcia not sold and Poulter i think will still improve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VDM 65
Juh 64
West 57
McNeil 51
Garcia 31
Poulter 28
Khamis 26
Darcy 25

Still not vastly experienced by any stretch especially the bottom 4. Barely a season of experience between them

I don’t think Khamis makes it, VDM does what he does but i wish we could find a cleaner player to play that role, Garcia not sold and Poulter i think will still improve
6th most experienced team of any team put out on the park this round (Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Collingwood).

Relative to the league, it's vastly experienced.

6th most experienced team of any team put out on the park this round (Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Collingwood).

Relative to the league, it's vastly experienced.
That’s surprising - must have been just a really off day

And like you said…this wasn’t the horrendous loss that people are making it out to be.

I was glad we kept it under 40pts, had the potential to be 60+

Rankine back (an actual All-Australian quality player in a legitimate sense and not just the way that the media throws around the term All-Australian) and the fact that we had 1 more total shot than them for the game. It's bad, but it's not the out and out disaster people are making it out to be. Away wins are hard, especially up against big crowds in Perth and Adelaide.
Every other teams All-Australians must be better than our All-Australians.

That’s surprising - must have been just a really off day

And like you said…this wasn’t the horrendous loss that people are making it out to be.

I was glad we kept it under 40pts, had the potential to be 60+

We lost to a bottom 4 side by 40 points while trying to make the top4/stay in the top 8.

It was a disaster 🤣🤣🤣😅

We lost to a bottom 4 side by 40 points while trying to make the top4/stay in the top 8.

It was a disaster 🤣🤣🤣😅
There are disasters and disasters.

I'd much rather lose by 40 points if it involves having 1 more total shot at goal, away, than e.g. had we lost by 30 points having 10 fewer shots at goal and at home for example.

Obviously the loss is bad and the margin is the margin. But there are disasters and there are disastres.

Adelaide had won 4 games at home prior to yesterday. Hardly a fortress this season

Matty Boyd is the former Bulldog of choice for me. Just based off his qualities displayed as a player really, you know what he would and wouldn’t accept.

That he and Bevo probably wouldn’t get along is a good thing.

Although all in all I’d rather us stay away from hiring old Bulldogs unless they’re the best candidate for the job completely independent of their history with the club.

Remember the promise of hiring a goal kicking coach, which dragged on until we settled on a part time goal kicking consultant - which so happened to be Brad Johnson? Amazing coincidence. And our goalkicking, which has always been bad under Bevo, is worse than ever.

Pratt and Egan were good moves. Highly rated with no ties. More of that please.

I would love Boyd to be a senior assistant and/or our next coach. Not because he's an ex player, but because he wouldn't accept any feeble efforts. He would demand more, of course he would.

Here's a player that came off the rookie list and had to battle his arse off all his career with limited skills compared to many others, but through sheer determination and hard work he made it became invaluable and won us a flag.

Hard nosed, determined, fearless, never give up attitude, not accepting of defeat, that's what you want.

Yesterday was pretty frustrating, more so because it wasn't actually that surprising. We're not a trustworthy team, and the difference between our best and worst is sizable - good teams are obviously not typically like that. Having said that, I'm not sure many teams this season have been that consistent so maybe we're not that much of an outlier anymore. It just gave me some PTSD from the past few seasons, where we come into a run of games where we have some expectation to win and end up putting in horrible performances.

To be fair though, if post-bye we said the team would go 7-2 and make finals that would have been more than acceptable (setting aside the question of whether we should have been 7-7 at the bye). So if we win the next two games and finish in a finals position then that'll be a strong end to the year, regardless of how poor the two AO performances were.

My overarching concern at the moment is less on the coach (although I have admittedly been fairly staunch that Bevo should be near the end and some change would be beneficial), it's more on the playing group. When you hear ex-players from successful teams talk about culture/standards (or whatever you want to name it), you get the impression that the coach and broader administration may be important in creating a foundation but ultimately it's the senior players and the broader playing group that cement a winning culture and approach.

Without being within the four walls of the club we don't know how the playing group discuss and analyse their performances, but there's evidence across the past 2-3 years that they are not great at handling expectations and ensuring there is a minimum standard of performance. It may not matter who the head of footy or head coach is, or what the playing list looks like, if a better standard can't or won't be established by the players.

I would love Boyd to be a senior assistant and/or our next coach. Not because he's an ex player, but because he wouldn't accept any feeble efforts. He would demand more, of course he would.

Here's a player that came off the rookie list and had to battle his arse off all his career with limited skills compared to many others, but through sheer determination and hard work he made it became invaluable and won us a flag.

Hard nosed, determined, fearless, never give up attitude, not accepting of defeat, that's what you want.
How's he doing at Freo?

In general we are a long way from having Boyd, Moz, Clay and Picken out there. Complete and utter backbones in ability and leadership (from vocal to quieter) at both ends of the ground.

Without disparaging our current group it’s very hard to manufacture what our 2016 team had. Our forward line is extremely inexperienced, we don’t have Roughead in the middle nullifying rucks, and our backline has been in a constant state of flux with only Doc and Dale the constants.

Even 2021 we had Bruce and Martin playing, as well as Wood, Doc and Keath in the backline when we were really flying.

The current group can’t really shake the ‘soft’ tag. Possibly one reason for the Barrass link even if KPD isn’t a huge need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back