Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we employing Bevo to be mates with his players or to win finals?

Obviously you need a coach they players want to play for. You also need one that is capable of having a better record than 2-5 in elimination finals.

Unless the club has decided we're okay with being a perennial 8-10 placed side in the comp and our coaching decisions are feelings based, not results based.

If the playing group is happy with how we're travelling under Bevo the last three years and would be upset with change, I would have significant doubts about their intentions to bring success to the club.

We can trot out whatever PR bullshit we want (and Bains/KWW/Bevo will) but we appear to have hit a ceiling that we can't break through.

Wait until you hear his presser. Full of touchy feely bull**** about cuddling the players or some such crap when there should be anger, there should be bitter resentment at what happened.

Soft off field, soft on and it's not changing any time soon. Very disheartening.

Wait until you hear his presser. Full of touchy feely bull**** about cuddling the players or some such crap when there should be anger, there should be bitter resentment at what happened.

Soft off field, soft on and it's not changing any time soon. Very disheartening.

I’m glad I don’t need to hear any of that shit for 6 months now.

Another ignominious end to the season, and another horrendous finals performance. What’s the ****ing point in making the eight if this is what gets dished up?

A well run club would’ve exited him by now. Look at how Hawthorn have turned it around while their ex-super coach presides over a debacle at North. They knew when to pull the trigger. We won’t.

Bevo will go around again next year. On the assumption he doesn't get renewed beyond 25, who do we actually want as head coach?

For various reasons, I'd like the club to have a look at Nathan Buckley for 2026.

Bevo will go around again next year. On the assumption he doesn't get renewed beyond 25, who do we actually want as head coach?

For various reasons, I'd like the club to have a look at Nathan Buckley for 2026.

I’m not sure about a recycled coach. How often does that work? Last flag won by a coach who wasn’t in their first head coaching position was who - Malthouse in 2010? Before that Matthews in the early 2000s?

Unless Chris Scott wants a change of scenery I’d be staying away from existing/previous head coaches.

I’m not sure about a recycled coach. How often does that work? Last flag won by a coach who wasn’t in their first head coaching position was who - Malthouse in 2010? Before that Matthews in the early 2000s?

Unless Chris Scott wants a change of scenery I’d be staying away from existing/previous head coaches.
This definitely rings true, but we've been burnt in the past with a few untried coaches... Rohde and McCartney. Bevo the only one that worked haha.

We kinda need someone to come in and hit the ground running and make a few adjustments at best. Bont has 5 years left max and we'll start to see a short, but sure decline from him starting tonight. age cannot be beaten, just hope we get the guy a 2nd flag.

part of me thinks what capital we can get from him via Tasmania... the question needs to be asked if he is/isnt going to be around for the next flag. if he isnt, send him to Tassie and take 4 first round picks

Chris Scott gets interviewed pre game and blatantly tells the world Ports weaknesses, and how the Cats will exploit it. Couple of hours later he's proven correct. Cats implement the plans perfectly.

Fast forward to Bevo tonight, instead of looking to exploit weakness, we decide to give them their strengths on a platter. Bold strategy. Sicily to intercept and control the backline. Allow uncontested mark after uncontested mark. Allow switching then get picked apart by overlap run.

I love Bevo but enough is enough.

Not only does Bont have at least two years left at his absolute peak, and a game style perfectly suited for longevity as a quality player into his mid 30s, but attempting to trade him would truly tear the club apart.

Coaching is part of our issue but not the biggest. Chris Scott wouldn't do any better with this unbalanced, slow, list. He had one for a while if you remember...

Coaching is part of our issue but not the biggest. Chris Scott wouldn't do any better with this unbalanced, slow, list. He had one for a while if you remember...

Maybe not.

I bet he’d have had a plan to quell Sicily and Newcombe’s influence though. Probably would’ve picked a better team.

He might even have given JUH a week or two in the VFL to sharpen up his efforts, and roasted Cody if he continued to ball hunt instead of playing his position.

Imo it’s a cast iron certainty we’d be better with him at the helm. We might not be winning flags, we might not even be winning many finals, but we wouldn’t be losing to ****ing Hawthorn like that in an EF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only does Bont have at least two years left at his absolute peak, and a game style perfectly suited for longevity as a quality player into his mid 30s, but attempting to trade him would truly tear the club apart.
I just checked, Tasmania is coming in 2028, and by then, the capital in Bont wouldn't be fairly high, so there goes my idea.

The club 100% needs to explore bending over Tasmania for draft picks. It's literally a cheat code to fast track a rebuild/overhaul. I actually named Naughton or JUH - either that or we lose Darcy. I can't see us keeping all 3 by the time 2028 arrives.

If Geelong can trade GCS GAJ, who arguably is their second greatest player or all time and probably the best player in the comp in the last 20 or 30 years, we can do it also.

Last edited:
Maybe not.

I bet he’d have had a plan to quell Sicily and Newcombe’s influence though. Probably would’ve picked a better team.

He might even have given JUH a week or two in the VFL to sharpen up his efforts, and roasted Cody if he continued to ball hunt instead of playing his position.

Imo it’s a cast iron certainty we’d be better with him at the helm. We might not be winning flags, we might not even be winning many finals, but we wouldn’t be losing to ****ing Hawthorn like that in an EF.
I'm sure he had great plans for clarkos hawks and the tigers, even the 2021 dee's. In reality his team's were inferior

I just checked, Tasmania are coming in 2028 and by then the capital in Bont wouldnt be fairly high so there goes my idea.

The club 100% needs to explore bending over Tasmania for draft picks. It's literally a cheat code to fast track a rebuild/overhaul. I actually named Naughton or JUH - either that or we lose Darcy. I can't see us keeping all 3 by the time 2028 arrives.

If Geelong can trade GCS GAJ whom arguably is their second greatest player or all time and probably the best player in the comp in thr last 20 or 30 years, we can do it also.
Indeed Tasmania is too far away to be in any trade considerations. However I do agree that in the short to medium term it may be worth reevaluating the list balance in relation to the three potential star talls. It definitely won't be Darcy and Naughton is an emerging leader though, so if there is any it might be Jamarra prior to his next contract. Would have to be an outstanding offer.

I'm sure he had great plans for clarkos hawks and the tigers, even the 2021 dee's. In reality his team's were inferior

Quite a few top four finishes in there though, right? Gave them the best chance in September, even if his teams ended up being overmatched.

Not like our experience of scrabbling to get in at the last minute and hope for a miracle run through four games. Was magical when it happened once, it’s not a sustainable model for success.

Quite a few top four finishes in there though, right? Gave them the best chance in September, even if his teams ended up being overmatched.

Not like our experience of scrabbling to get in at the last minute and hope for a miracle run through four games. Was magical when it happened once, it’s not a sustainable model for success.
Yeah, we're not comparing apples though in terms of lists and advantages that prick of a club enjoy but that's a huge rabbit hole. I don't agree he'd do better with our list but I 100% agree that our opposition planning and strategy is poor.

You make a good point - how do you sack a coach that players want to play for? ...
It has happened many times in the past.

I think this is a misunderstood aspect of his coaching. It's too late to document it all tonight but in essence, loving the coach and wanting to play for him is not the same as being collectively drilled and mentally prepared to win the big games.

If we're talking about ethics and integrity then give me Bevo any day.

But we're not. We're talking about winning flags. I'd rather have a bastard of a hard task master and win finals than have a coach whose undisputed biggest strength is his emotional connection to his players. You only have to believe in the ability of the coach and yourself. You don't have to love him.

Last edited:
From the looks of who they bought in last season Speed is very much on Bevos mind. However they need to have a good mix of speed and effective disposal decision making. Gags, Garcia & VDM provide speed but suspect with disposal and decision making Cant really have a team of turnover merchants so players like Macrae are Daniel are being played because of their disposal.
Do you really think it was Bevo's idea?

Maybe not.

Imo it’s a cast iron certainty we’d be better with him at the helm. We might not be winning flags, we might not even be winning many finals, but we wouldn’t be losing to ****ing Hawthorn like that in

It has happened many times in the past.

I think this is a misunderstood aspect of his coaching. It's too late to document it all tonight but in essence, loving the coach and wanting to play for him is not the same as being collectively drilled and mentally prepared to win the big games.

If we're talking about ethics and decency then give me Bevo any day.

But we're not. We're talking about winning flags. I'd rather have a bastard of a hard task master and win finals than have a coach whose undisputed biggest strength is his emotional connection to his players. You only have to believe in the ability of the coach and yourself. You don't have to love him.
You and I would rather the task master but, pardon my presumption, we're not 20 year old athletes. They're different beasts...

I must be out of the loop, are there whispers Chris Scott will be leaving Geelong soon / would be a possible option? Just thought he has a great set up down there and not sure why he would want to leave

My #1 option if Bevo walks away at the end of 2025 I think would be Ash Hansen. Said no to interviewing for the Eagles job, I think more to do with moving back over to WA rather than not being ready for a #1 job yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back