Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Copy, paste every year. It’s insane the loser mentality people have towards this team that they’re willing to accept the same shit every year just because Bevo was carried in 2016. Absolute embarrassment. If Bevo survives this offseason then that proves once and for all that this club is more interested in being a social club than a professional team.

As disappointing as last night was (was confident all week but not surprised at all that we managed to shid the bed and play that bad) I just think it is one hundred percent time for a change. Fresh, new, different ideas and perspectives from a new coach. Like, removing emotion from it all it’s just time to move on. As let down as we all feel as supporters he’s still been the best coach we’ve ever had but it’s just time…..

This year reinforced that the coaching set up around Bevo has been broken since 2021 GF. We have underinvested in assistant coaches (quality and quantity), and over burdened our head coach, adopting the messiah mentality. Look at the depth of coaches around Chris Scott and Sam Mitchell.

Before we move on from Bevo or even our Assistant Coaches in Spangher and Lade, we should be moving on either our CEO or Football Director (or both). They are responsible for us coming to a gun fight with water pistols.

Speaks volumes that while Mitchell has a side flying and up to their ears in the finals, he's already worked his magic and secured the future with two key planks Battle and Barrass for next year.

So you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Meanwhile, we'll just sit on our hands being nice and accepting D grade scraps. What an amateur organisation.

Last edited:
This year reinforced that the coaching set up around Bevo has been broken since 2021 GF. We have underinvested in assistant coaches (quality and quantity), and over burdened our head coach, adopting the messiah mentality. Look at the depth of coaches around Chris Scott and Sam Mitchell.

Before we move on from Bevo or even our Assistant Coaches in Spangher and Lade, we should be moving on either our CEO or Football Director (or both). They are responsible for us coming to a gun fight with water pistols.
Agree totally!
Number one to go has to be Grant!

The whole club set up at Geelong and Hawthorn are way more professional than ours. Ruthless is the wrong word people are using. Essendon and Carlton are ‘ruthless’ and where do they end up with that? Geelong and Hawthorn put the right people in the key roles. Jeff Kennet copped criticism for moving on Clarko and putting in Sam Mitchell, that was 100% the correct thing to do. The fact they had a president (I know because of political biases some will never like him) that capable was to their benefit. They’ve had very good CEO’s and assistant coaches for decades. Exactly the same at Geelong, this time the Board knew that Chris Scott was the man after a few failed prelims and some supporters were off him. They knew he was the right man. I am not as confident with our Board, President or CEO being as good as Geelong and Hawthorn’s and results seem to show this. We are nowhere near the worst, but more often seem too comfortable to be ‘pretty good’, not striving enough to be the best possible. Last night was lost at selection, and many on here know on a Thursday night it’s not going to be our weekend.

That was our last shot at seeing if we could continue with this list and this type of team set up. It isn’t working.

It has been said by many supporters many times before, but you aren’t winning anything of significance with all of Vandermeer, Gallagher, McNeil, Bramble in the team. You can have maybe ONE of those in the team, but not FOUR.

Not to mention that Duryea looked finished, Harmes contributed nothing, Weightman disappeared into Hardwicks pocket and Jamarra contributed less than nothing. And only slightly better were Dale, Daniel and O’Donnell, who all got a lot of possessions but got routinely exploited, or in Dales case was overawed in a big game again.

Not to mention the elephant in the room, English. He is a massive problem. And one that we’ve known about for a long time. Meek had his best game ever tonight. Guess when Meeks previous best was before tonight? Hawks obviously knew they had our measure with their turnover game and sought to prevent us from scoring so much out of stoppage like we did in our last meeting.

How do we fix this? We seriously have to salvage some of the players we can’t move on and clean out the dead weight quickly. We have opportunities this offseason to do. Recruit some speedy players that actually have good skills with the ball. Hawthorns kicking was light years ahead of ours and killed us on the outside.

As for changes that we can make with positional moves, I honest to God think it is time to move English out of the ruck and make him a forward, get a ruck from somewhere, and move Naughton to CHB. There’s plenty of other list changes and moves we can make, but we HAVE to go into next year with a different look and solve these enormous issues.

The whole club set up at Geelong and Hawthorn are way more professional than ours. Ruthless is the wrong word people are using. Essendon and Carlton are ‘ruthless’ and where do they end up with that? Geelong and Hawthorn put the right people in the key roles. Jeff Kennet copped criticism for moving on Clarko and putting in Sam Mitchell, that was 100% the correct thing to do. The fact they had a president (I know because of political biases some will never like him) that capable was to their benefit. They’ve had very good CEO’s and assistant coaches for decades. Exactly the same at Geelong, this time the Board knew that Chris Scott was the man after a few failed prelims and some supporters were off him. They knew he was the right man. I am not as confident with our Board, President or CEO being as good as Geelong and Hawthorn’s and results seem to show this. We are nowhere near the worst, but more often seem too comfortable to be ‘pretty good’, not striving enough to be the best possible. Last night was lost at selection, and many on here know on a Thursday night it’s not going to be our weekend.

But we'll all just have cuddles and 'get around each other' for six months, pretend it never happened me the 2021
GF, do nothing to change it through trade and drafting and pretend next year will be different.

I would put that approach at about $1.01.

The opposite approach is where hard truths are told, we 'do a Hawthorn' and implement proper and perhaps short term painful change and adopt a more hard nosed, ruthless and professional approach to winning and not accepting losing is drifting at $1000.

English sums up the club. Meek (pun intended) afraid for his/our shadow and easy pushed over and beaten.

Last edited:
You make some good points, but last night was not lost at selection. That's really lazy analysis that gets echoed in here

Ladey is on the shortlist for the WC job along with King, FYI. I’d say King is much more likely but the fact they haven’t made any announcements yet indicates significant candidates are/were still in the finals race.
I was hoping King would be around for us when Bevo finishes up.
What he did with Gold Coast last year was solid and Geelong's midfield is humming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lade and Spangher can both get in the pond.

No more “mister nice guy” coaches please.
So let's get this straight. A club like ours should employ strict taskmasters who run a tight ship, aren't afraid to dump on players, punish those who don't come up to scratch. Never mind the psychology, or personal development, building relationships and trust. Would this get the best out of our players, or would their confidence take a battering? What would the list turnover look like? Would good players be knocking at our door to be traded for?

Time for change.
I think we've made errors in draft and trades recently. We have no young mids with leg speed. We are just run as a plucky club. We don't have that winning mentality.

So let's get this straight. A club like ours should employ strict taskmasters who run a tight ship, aren't afraid to dump on players, punish those who don't come up to scratch. Never mind the psychology, or personal development, building relationships and trust. Would this get the best out of our players, or would their confidence take a battering? What would the list turnover look like? Would good players be knocking at our door to be traded for?
Sorry DRU but that’s a ridiculous over simplification.

If I was Bevo, I'd take a week or so away from everything and reflect on where he has come from, what he has achieved, and what the future holds for him.
I can't answer for him but he's had an excellent coaching career on many levels, he's been fortunate to develop a number of now A grade players, and he has achieved a premiership, something not many others coaches even come close to.
But, can he develop or progress his credentials?
I think he has gone as far as he can at the Bulldogs. He needs a change, the players need a change, the club need a change.

I sat in the AFL Members area last night surrounded by Hawks supporters who were amazed at how soft we were. I was embarrassed because they were 100% correct - we were bullied and humiliated in the contest all over the ground. This keeps happening in big games and must stop. Bevo isn't capable of preventing these capitulations.

I don't think Bevo is leaving any time soon. If it was ever going to happen it would have happened last year, he'll stay on forever and will only be replaced on his own terms.

It was a super disappointing and perhaps predictable exit this season but I am still optimistic that this group can do something. I had little to no optimism after the ends of 2022 and 2023. We were really good after round 8, definitely top 4 quality but obviously the dross we threw up in the first eight rounds ended up costing us a double chance, which it turns out we really needed. Should have been 6-2 or at lease 5-3, had such an easy fixture to start the year.

It is concerning that every 3 or 4 or 5 weeks we throw out an absolute dud though. Even after we started hitting our straps we just throw out a game that is completely uncompetitive. Went 11-5 after the slow start, the Sydney loss we fought and was competitive, the other 4 losses (Brisbane, Port, Adelaide and Hawthorn) it got too hard and we threw in the towel. A lot of those games we got beat up in the middle and particularly ruck. Its probably a bit of a concern how reliant we are on our midfielders not just halving the contest but winning it and sometimes winning it convincingly.

We found some winning moves this season. Lobb going down back and Richards going into the middle changed the entire dynamic of the side. Thought West playing occasionally as the accountable forward was another solid move but obviously Bevo and the team outthought themselves going into the final.

I sat in the AFL Members area last night surrounded by Hawks supporters who were amazed at how soft we were. I was embarrassed because they were 100% correct - we were bullied and humiliated in the contest all over the ground. This keeps happening in big games and must stop. Bevo isn't capable of preventing these capitulations.

100 per cent. It was laughable. I was on the other side of the ground and I repeatedly heard our supporters yelling 'soft', 'weak'. It was embarrassing, but it's true because we were and not for the first time. It's a major problem.

Any chance of pointing to the players and their responsibility for their own actions at the contest and around the ground? Situations that led to your embarrassment.

That was our last shot at seeing if we could continue with this list and this type of team set up. It isn’t working.

It has been said by many supporters many times before, but you aren’t winning anything of significance with all of Vandermeer, Gallagher, McNeil, Bramble in the team. You can have maybe ONE of those in the team, but not FOUR.

Not to mention that Duryea looked finished, Harmes contributed nothing, Weightman disappeared into Hardwicks pocket and Jamarra contributed less than nothing. And only slightly better were Dale, Daniel and O’Donnell, who all got a lot of possessions but got routinely exploited, or in Dales case was overawed in a big game again.

Not to mention the elephant in the room, English. He is a massive problem. And one that we’ve known about for a long time. Meek had his best game ever tonight. Guess when Meeks previous best was before tonight? Hawks obviously knew they had our measure with their turnover game and sought to prevent us from scoring so much out of stoppage like we did in our last meeting.

How do we fix this? We seriously have to salvage some of the players we can’t move on and clean out the dead weight quickly. We have opportunities this offseason to do. Recruit some speedy players that actually have good skills with the ball. Hawthorns kicking was light years ahead of ours and killed us on the outside.

As for changes that we can make with positional moves, I honest to God think it is time to move English out of the ruck and make him a forward, get a ruck from somewhere, and move Naughton to CHB. There’s plenty of other list changes and moves we can make, but we HAVE to go into next year with a different look and solve these enormous issues.

100% agree on the whole English topic. Worst decision we made resigning him. Unless it’s a sign then trade scenario. He is great around the ground as another mid, but Jesus h Christ he sucks balls as a ruck.

I would be more than happy, if he could get his body right to do a straight swap for Darcy from freo. Use him as a bash n crash hard ass ruck rotating with Darcy fwd. there is no point having a mid stacked with ball winners if your roving to the oppo ruck every week as ours is actually afraid of body contact.

I’m 6’2 and played ruck because I could jump. I would put my knee into the other guy every chance I’d get at centre bounces and make him not want to go near the contest. Id win way more than I’d lose. Tim waits for contact and the jumps off two feet like a jump ball. Soft as shite and should never play ruck for us again. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any chance of pointing to the players and their responsibility for their own actions at the contest and around the ground? Situations that led to your embarrassment.
The players should be disappointed in their performance but this is largely on the head of the coach.. Bevo is responsible for getting the team ready. Bevo and Hinkley are in large part responsible for the piss poor performances of their teams in finals.

Last edited:
The players should be ashamed of themselves but this is largely on the head of the coach.. Bevo is responsible for getting the team ready. Bevo and Hinkley are in large part responsible for the piss poor performances of their teams in finals.
Sorry for all our members and supporters who were there live . It was painful sitting at home and felt like a 10 + goal defeat.
I was at Optus in 2021 and 2022 so those scars remain with me.
To All Doggies. Look after yourselves.

Don’t disagree with much of your take , but to include Bramble as a problem I can’t agree on.
May not have been great last night , but has been a super addition in a position we literally have no one else on the list to fill it with ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back