Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Handing Bevo a one year extension after another dud season would probably mean as long as he continues to just miss the 8 or get eliminated in the first week of finals, he will continue to get extensions. 100 years of Bevo.

If we don't have the guts to make the call now, just put the ball in his court and say he's coaching out the last year of his deal and anything more is dependent on the results of 2025. I know this isn't often done.

If he wants security, fine. He can then look elsewhere.

The goalposts will continue to shift whenever we have a bad start to the season. "Fittest strongest side" became "evolution" in record time this season.

Handing Bevo a one year extension after another dud season would probably mean as long as he continues to just miss the 8 or get eliminated in the first week of finals, he will continue to get extensions. 100 years of Bevo.

If we don't have the guts to make the call now, just put the ball in his court and say he's coaching out the last year of his deal and anything more is dependent on the results of 2025. I know this isn't often done.

The goalposts will continue to shift whenever we have a bad start to the season. "Fittest strongest side" became "evolution" in record time this season.

The problem that might arise if Bevo goes at the end of the 2025 season is that the below clubs could be looking for a new coach, which limits our opportunities to find a new good coach:

• Adelaide
  • Carlton
  • Brisbane
  • Fremantle
  • Saints
  • Bombers

But to be fair, the side had to evolve and it has to evolve further again. We just got well beaten in an elimination final and 2 of our favourite sons in Bont and Libba were well beaten. Plus Richards, Treloar and English. No winners.

That's our engine room. The engine needs reconditioning.....it needs new parts. This off season is massive for us. If we can't change that mix for the better, we won't go a whole lot different next year. We should get a more consistent start to the home and away season with Richards and Sanders having had this year to develop but finals are just as likely to end the same way if the midfield mix remains unchanged and new blood is not infused.

The problem that might arise if Bevo goes at the end of the 2025 season is that the below clubs could be looking for a new coach, which limits our opportunities to find a new good coach:

• Adelaide
  • Carlton
  • Brisbane
  • Fremantle
  • Saints
  • Bombers
Reality is we will need to make a decision by the mid season bye next season.

By then we will have a good body of work as to where we are heading

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

But to be fair, the side had to evolve and it has to evolve further again. We just got well beaten in an elimination final and 2 of our favourite sons in Bont and Libba were well beaten. Plus Richards, Treloar and English. No winners.

That's our engine room. The engine needs reconditioning.....it needs new parts. This off season is massive for us. If we can't change that mix for the better, we won't go a whole lot different next year. We should get a more consistent start to the home and away season with Richards and Sanders having had this year to develop but finals are just as likely to end the same way if the midfield mix remains unchanged and new blood is not infused.
Who do we move to mix it up?

I could see Bont moving forward more, playing a quasi-KPF role or I could see Treloar moving to the HFF role or a wing. But they are our best mids so moving them out may be fraught.

Who do we move to mix it up?

I could see Bont moving forward more, playing a quasi-KPF role or I could see Treloar moving to the HFF role or a wing. But they are our best mids so moving them out may be fraught.
As the list stands at the moment, there are very few options. Perhaps Freijah might be considered because he has it.

To improve to the degree that we need to however, we need an infusion from outside. Draft or trade. This is Sammy Power's most important year so far in my view. We'll be standing still or surging ahead by the end of this trade/draft period. It will have far more influence than coaching in my view.

Bevo has always maintained he will never coach at another club.

If anything we need to continue strengthening our coaching group.

Agree this is an important draft for us, two highly rated midfielders, maybe Oā€™Driscoll along with Sanders will freshen up the team.

Is there any pickings to be had at Hawthorn, due to two incoming players some noses will be out of joint.

Bevo has always maintained he will never coach at another club.

If anything we need to continue strengthening our coaching group.

Agree this is an important draft for us, two highly rated midfielders, maybe Oā€™Driscoll along with Sanders will freshen up the team.

Is there any pickings to be had at Hawthorn, due to two incoming players some noses will be out of joint.
Looks like Serong is the most likely to be gettable of the Hawks defence. (Not including DGB)

As the list stands at the moment, there are very few options. Perhaps Freijah might be considered because he has it.

To improve to the degree that we need to however, we need an infusion from outside. Draft or trade. This is Sammy Power's most important year so far in my view. We'll be standing still or surging ahead by the end of this trade/draft period. It will have far more influence than coaching in my view.
I can see a future with Freijah taking more centre bounces as Bont transitions more forward?
Only 18, strong bigbodied and great decision maker!

Need to put some pressure on the club to get a decent forwards coach to the dogs, someone with proven experience and capability as JUH's talent is wasting away.

Playing behind the man, jumping & spoiling team mates etc. Someone to help develop Astro and JUH's use of the body in contests and work on positioning.

Very much not in favour of a Bevo extension right now. We were 1 game clear of everyone asking for him to be sacked, which is what would have happened if we'd missed the 8. We need to set a higher standard and expectations, being locked into this 6-11 range of the ladder every year is purgatory. We're not bottoming out enough to get our hands on high draft picks and not ever making the top 4 to try and make a finals series anything but a slog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will ****ing fume if we re-sign him during summer. It would be a repeat of what we did last time and look how that turned out... I don't have a lot of confidence that the club has the balls to go into a senior coach contract year and deal with the associated media around that.
I understand that we got to the finals this year which was something we didn't do last year but we have lost yet again in another elimination final so at this moment in time he is contracted to the end of 2025 and I wouldn't be extend that either.

2015 great year considering what happened at the end of 2014.

Fantastic year in 2016 with the premiership and 2021 was a great year except for the Grand Final but still a huge achievement to get back there after 5 years.

The others years haven't been the best 3 seasons out of finals other years in but losing in the first week each time.

It has been such a fascinating ride under Bevo and I will be forever grateful for 2016.

Funny ole world. A single (!) extra win this season and we are top 4 and still it, and noone would question Bevo or the club.
I know this isn't how this works, but if our opponents had kicked at a league average clip in all of their games, we would have won two more games and not lost any games.

Compare to GWS who would have lost two more games and not won any more if the same thing had happened.

Not to mention scheduling influences that probably would have gotten us one more win across the season generally (the late and only one bye, being the last team to play their first game for the season, giving us shorter breaks across the season, etc. etc)

It's thin margins.

Last edited:
Funny ole world. A single (!) extra win this season and we are top 4 and still it, and noone would question Bevo or the club.

But we didn't and we haven't done in the last 10 years, repeatedly screwing up opportunities at securing a Top 4 spot. Add another poor finals exit and the pressure is rightly on.

I remember Carlton tried having Bolton as a permanent employee to avoid this very thing. It didnā€™t work, but the ā€œone year leftā€ thing is a pain. Itā€™s just kindling for external speculation.

For all the moaning about signing him over the summer, the reality is that he probably would have been re-signed when we got to 7-3 in 2023 anyway.

I hope that we just pick up where we left off the home and away season, in which case weā€™ll be in for a good year and heā€™ll inevitably get extended.

If we stink it up itā€™ll be easy.

Just hope we arenā€™t quite good but not amazing early because the speculation will follow us the whole season.

Wouldnā€™t be shocked if we panic and extend him purely based on noise of other clubs sniffing around and it being a distraction.

Could end up being a saints situation with Ratten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back