Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see the issue with assessing at the end of/late next year

Let the media speculate, we've already shown that we're unwilling to pay out the contract early and Bevo rightfully wants to be paid what he signed for. Let it roll

If another club comes knocking, we've got a list full of young talented KPPs that assistants would be desperate to take control of

As loyal as Bevo is, if a 6 year offer came his way vs say a 1 year extension from us, it would definitely lead to some conversations. The west coast offer would have to be financially significant also you’d think. It gives everyone involved a really good, clean/respectful out if it happens.

If we panic and give him a multi-year extension because of this I give up. But Bevo would be wise to leverage this interest in exactly that way, knowing how much sway he has over the club.
I would have thought St Kilda would still be in his dreams, not West Coast, which would entail a big upheaval for his family. But Ross the Boss is doing such a good job, there's no likelihood of that in the near future ;)

Going through the season with an out of contract coach would be an absolute disaster.
Why?
Surely Bevo is bigger than some of these players who are in their 20’s? Bevo is in his mid 50’s, he’s already set up for life financially. If in his position he’d in anyway have a problem, he is not mature enough to lead the footy club. We ask players to keep playing on 1 year terms or Rookie contracts. Bevo’s had 10 years of being one of the highest paid people in the country, he’ll continue to be paid well wherever he landed afterwards. He needs to back himself in and just coach out his contract. At the end we’ll re-assess. If he wants to move on, good and if he wants to stay, good. He has always told us he blocks out media talk, he needs to show us this.

Going through the season with an out of contract coach would be an absolute disaster.
Re-signing an underperforming coach to a multi-year deal would be an absolute disaster.

I see no issue with the club waiting until the bye and assessing his performance, before extending his tenure.

Last edited:
Re-signing an underperforming coach to a multi-year deal would be an absolute disaster.

I see now issue with the club waiting until the bye and assessing his performance, before extending his tenure.
How is Bevo underperforming?

I see now issue with the club waiting until the bye and assessing his performance, before extending his tenure.
I didn't say we should sign him on. But we have to stick with one: Back him in and sign him up OR let him go and pay him out.

If he was only a few years into the I'd back him in 100%. But he has been there a long time. Ten years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Bevo isn’t offered a contract until the end of next year, what’s the pass mark?

Lot of water to go under the bridge this off-season trade period but I’d think a finals win should be required for him to be able to extend.

Assuming Bevo isn’t offered a contract until the end of next year, what’s the pass mark?

Lot of water to go under the bridge this off-season trade period but I’d think a finals win should be required for him to be able to extend.

Internally, 2022, 23 and 24 appear to be the standard we accept. I don’t think losing yet another elimination final or finishing 9th would change much. Supporters can and obviously do think differently. Some are ok with where we are most probably aren’t. What defines a pass mark in this context, you can real philosophical about.

As for the club and pass marks - As long as memberships and merch continue to sell i think the club would be happy with the predictable product that is Bevoball. Start poorly, win some games in the back end of the season, sell some hope and crash out in an elimination final or just miss the 8.

It would probably take a demand from Bont for the club to act (very unlikely) or Bevo leaves on his own accord for some reason (gives it up, gets poached by a bigger offer etc).

If next year played out the same I assume we offer a one or two year extension. Doubtful it gets to the point where the season finishes and he’s out of contract. One way or the other it will have resolved by then.

How is Bevo underperforming?
He has won finals in two out of 10 seasons as coach.
I'd say anyone who manages to perform within the top 33% of his department just 20 per cent of the time is underperforming. Especially with the list he has had in the past couple of years.

I wouldn't expect the club to wait until post season to extend him if he gets a new contract, but i'd be wanting a consistent first half of the season next year. If we are 9-3/8-4 at the bye or equivalent, i'd be happy with that.

Assuming Bevo stays, what else can we support him with that could lead to better results? I get we need some speedy mids and I’m sure milesi is all over it but do we think throwing money at one or two additional coaches - even if it took us over the cap - would be worthwhile given the ages of Bont, Libba and Treloar? I’d love to see us go even harder in that assistant coach space for next year to see if that might get us there.

He has won finals in two out of 10 seasons as coach.
I'd say anyone who manages to perform within the top 33% of his department just 20 per cent of the time is underperforming. Especially with the list he has had in the past couple of years.
He has made grand finals in two out of 10 seasons as coach.
I'd say anyone who manages to perform within the top 11% of his department just 20 per cent of the time is overperforming.
Especially as he's responsible for the list developing well in the past couple of years.

He has made grand finals in two out of 10 seasons as coach.
I'd say anyone who manages to perform within the top 11% of his department just 20 per cent of the time is overperforming.
Especially as he's responsible for the list developing well in the past couple of years.
So by that logic Alan Joyce is the greatest coach of all time?

So by that logic Alan Joyce is the greatest coach of all time?
Moreso that framing the argument in this way is dumb and calling Bevo brilliant if he had won finals or hopeless because he lost a final without the nuance and the context of the final is dumb, that's the point.

In terms of measuring what he can control, what he's changed over the last 18 months, what's a good predictor for the future, I think Bevo is a good coach. https://squiggle.com.au/power-rankings/

We're certainly not going to move on from him now after we didn't move on from him at the end of last year, giving him a chance, with changes around him, to demonstrate an improvement on the other years, which duly happened (we did win more games this season than in all of the most recent seasons), especially as that improvement is more recent.

Moreso that framing the argument in this way is dumb and calling Bevo brilliant if he had won finals or hopeless because he lost a final without the nuance and the context of the final is dumb, that's the point.

In terms of measuring what he can control, what he's changed over the last 18 months, what's a good predictor for the future, I think Bevo is a good coach. https://squiggle.com.au/power-rankings/

We're certainly not going to move on from him now after we didn't move on from him at the end of last year, giving him a chance, with changes around him, to demonstrate an improvement on the other years, which duly happened (we did win more games this season than in all of the most recent seasons), especially as that improvement is more recent.
Agree. But you've been framing the argument that if we had won 1 more game and if he had won x amount of finals and that we're/he's disadvantaged because of the draw etc, etc.

It's quite obvious that you think he's a good coach. You have been apologizing and putting a positive spin on everything he and the club have done for as long as I can be bothered to remember.

Your entitled to your opinion and that's fine. I'd rate at least 5 coaches that made finals as better coaches tactically than Bevo.

Clarkson won three grand finals for Hawthorn and he ceased in 2021. Was Hawthorn wrong?
Clarkson has 13 wins from the most recent 41 games he had coached when he was given the flick.

If we were to demonstrate a similar losing record - hell, if we were to demonstrating even a losing record over a rolling 40-game span at the Dogs, I would jump on board.

Our most recent worst span even if you are selective about isolating 24, or 17 or 49 or whatever games, across the most recent years, is when he went 8 wins, 13 losses across 21 games between Round 11 last year and Round 8 this year. This is an unfair characterisation as it ignores the wins immediately before and after that period, but even for the sake of selectively isolating out his worst football, that's as bad as it gets.

Somewhat ironicially, we even scored 180 more points for than points against despite losing more games than we were winning in that period (though this is not to say that we were above average as we had a somewhat easy draw in that time), but at the absolute worst, we were probably about the 10th-11th best team in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back