Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're happy with his tenure? Losing an elimination final to a younger more inexperienced side this yr after losing to the wooden spoon Eagles and costing us a finals spot last yr?
I think his tenure stacks up well enough. 1 premiership, 2 GFs, a pretty high overall win rate with a mini rebuild in there after 2017.

If the club's pass mark was win a final this season, then he should go but we're not privy to that.

I think the back half of the season showed the coaching mix could be effective. The panel restructure seemed to work to some degree. Given more time to gel, and some further tweaks it should improve again.

I really doubt any coach we hire would be as good as Bev. His record through all levels speaks for itself. He is objectively a great coach. The question would be if he's right for this playing group, right now - and that's best for the playing group to determine. I'd back in Bont to have a pulse on that.

So if the playing group is happy with him, I think keeping him is the best option, and making tweaks around him that enable us to utilise him in the best way possible - we can then reassess during 2025.

Selection.
Effort.
Game style.
Coaching moves.

This loss is setting a fire.

I really really hope the board doesn’t cave and give Bevo a contract, the West Coast offers as far as I’ve heard, are real.
Shit like this has come out every year of Bevo’s tenure though. Other than the two successful years, this seems to be the messaging every time.

Last year we saw a total overhaul except the head of the snake. He changed our onfield playing personnel significantly, our coaching structures completely changed, and the structure of the football department was overhauled too.

Selection will always be a bevo ‘captain call’ as long as he is coach and so will overall game plan and tactical moves.

And Bont pushing for change is a message we’ve all heard before. Remember when he wanted Luke fired? And then he didn’t?

Shit like this has come out every year of Bevo’s tenure though. Other than the two successful years, this seems to be the messaging every time.

Last year we saw a total overhaul except the head of the snake. He changed our onfield playing personnel significantly, our coaching structures completely changed, and the structure of the football department was overhauled too.

Selection will always be a bevo ‘captain call’ as long as he is coach and so will overall game plan and tactical moves.

And Bont pushing for change is a message we’ve all heard before. Remember when he wanted Luke fired? And then he didn’t?
I get it mate, I do.
Honestly, I want Bevo moved on, I think that’s the only change we haven’t tried yet.

No mail on Bevo.
This is from what I’ve been told.
alot of staff in the football department are incredibly upset about the end of the season, as are the players.

Bont Is pushing for some change.

We’re looking to bring in one more coach. No mail on any coaching changes. But we are looking around for another coach to bring in, not sure if that means one is going out. Fairly certain Lade is out of contract, as is Spanga.
Heard anything about Grant?
I'm hearing he is moving on/being moved on with potentially someone within taking his spot.
The club seem happy with Spangher but I am hearing Lade is fielding other offers, he hasn't been overly impressed having Egan come in and move up the ranks ahead of him.

No mail on Bevo.
alot of staff in the football department are incredibly upset about the end of the season, as are the players.

We’re looking to bring in one more coach. No mail on any coaching changes. But we are looking around for another coach to bring in, not sure if that means one is going out. Fairly certain Lade is out of contract, as is Spanga.

Romper, bomper, stomper.

Red White and Blue.

Magic Mirror Tell me, tell me, tell me, today.

Did all of my friends shit the bed at play?

Of course, Of course, of course they did!

But that is something they will never say.

And I'll be looking at them next time.

Right here in the Bigfooty Romper Room.

Bye, Bye.

Ms Norm.

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
No mail on Bevo.

There was a push for change this time last yr. Maybe in 3yrs time we will push for change and it'll actually do something after 5 consecutive years of trying.

I don’t recall anyone here having big wraps for Hansen while he was our forward coach. Quite the opposite.
Having both met Ash and having the opportunity to discuss coaching with him whilst completing my level 2 coaching (he is level 4) would be more than comfortable seeing him as our senior coach

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A funny thing about the focus on Bevo not doing enough to get the Dogs over the line against the Hawks last week. Is that our performance had all the hall marks of a team that had been a little over coached.

It's very easy to do if you're not careful, it can even occur if you are being careful, because it's all about how the players react to instruction. Sometimes they overreact to what the coach says!

Our players were obviously over concerned about the Hawks, and not concerned enough about their own games.

Whilst Bevo didn't cover himself in glory, there are a few players who should be deeply embarrassed about how they performed on the big stage. Weightman and Ugle-Hagan topping the list.

Marra's after game antics reminded me of the Moneyball scene where Jeremy Giambi gets a lecture about what losing should sound like and then gets immediately traded out. I hope Marra at least received some seriously stern words of advice.

Weightman is also a serious worry. Following on from his disastrous performance in the 2021 grand final, he chooses to have an art show at the business end of the AFL season and then delivers a pathetic finals performance like that, giving all his critics extra ammunition. He should have been laser focused on having a big game, but he went completely AWOL just when we needed him.

It should be time for some big-headed players to take a good hard look at themselves.

But nah, let's just all pile on the coach and give the players a complete free pass.

the illustration of last nights game of what’s required in terms of - finals high intensity and tacking, but also knowing when to press up to the ball carrier (pro active)

Dogs have been lacking in these areas for a long time - we are a reactive tackling team.
I think our pressure rating last week was avg/poor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong? No. They have a better coach

How so? Lay it out for us.

We're 2-2 last 2 years, winning both at their home ground and losing one late at a neutral venue by less than a goal.

I've been meaning to expand on this for a while...

I can't remember if it was you Doggy or someone else who suggested that at least 5 of the top 8 teams had a better tactical coach than us...

Geelong? Again, why?
Longmire? 1-2 last 2 years, but a big win this year at SCG and a 2 pt loss there last year.
Lions? 1-1 last 2 years. Beat them at home in a final in 2021.
GWS? Won 3 of last 4. The loss being by less than a goal.
2 away wins, and comprehensively out coached them a mere 3 weeks ago.

I don't think you mean Hinkley or Voss.

Mitchell? It's a possibility for sure.

But even accounting for all of this, (and I'm not sure how to say this particularly well), but, in every single competition in the world, in every single year, it's only ever possible to have one single BEST tactical coach.

So this idea that because we don't have THE BEST, it's a fail, Or accepting mediocrity, Or a small club mentality is to me, crazy in the 'other' extreme.

We have a coach who is unquestionably above average. He  may have his tactical flaws (*), but is unmatched in other areas.
He's proven he can take teams all the way.
He's won multiple awards/acclaim from his peers.

None of this should ever prevent us looking for a better option or a better set up of course, but I suspect any candidate considered a better fit for this team would be in an almost unbelievably shallow pool.

the illustration of last nights game of what’s required in terms of - finals high intensity and tacking, but also knowing when to press up to the ball carrier (pro active)

Dogs have been lacking in these areas for a long time - we are a reactive tackling team.
I think our pressure rating last week was avg/poor

I urge you to watch rd's 19, 20, 21 and 24.

The high press and pressure is absolutely part of our game. The majority of our problems occur when we can't get the ball forward from the centre.
(I'll argue all day and all night that the bigger, wider MCG is a major disadvantage to our set up as well).

I urge you to watch rd's 19, 20, 21 and 24.

The high press and pressure is absolutely part of our game. The majority of our problems occur when we can't get the ball forward from the centre.
(I'll argue all day and all night that the bigger, wider MCG is a major disadvantage to our set up as well).

i disagree - we cannot tackle, broken tackles galore. opposition players are allowed to dance around 2/3 of our players constantly

Ive argued this point to many people, and it was evident last weeks final...

watch our 2021 GF, the pressure/tackling was poor

you want to see what real finals pressure and tackling is, go watch Richmond 17-20

something which isnt talked about is reactive/proactive tacking. we are a reactive tackling team

Last edited:
How so? Lay it out for us.

We're 2-2 last 2 years, winning both at their home ground and losing one late at a neutral venue by less than a goal.

I've been meaning to expand on this for a while...

I can't remember if it was you Doggy or someone else who suggested that at least 5 of the top 8 teams had a better tactical coach than us...

Geelong? Again, why?
Longmire? 1-2 last 2 years, but a big win this year at SCG and a 2 pt loss there last year.
Lions? 1-1 last 2 years. Beat them at home in a final in 2021.
GWS? Won 3 of last 4. The loss being by less than a goal.
2 away wins, and comprehensively out coached them a mere 3 weeks ago.

I don't think you mean Hinkley or Voss.

Mitchell? It's a possibility for sure.

But even accounting for all of this, (and I'm not sure how to say this particularly well), but, in every single competition in the world, in every single year, it's only ever possible to have one single BEST tactical coach.

So this idea that because we don't have THE BEST, it's a fail, Or accepting mediocrity, Or a small club mentality is to me, crazy in the 'other' extreme.

We have a coach who is unquestionably above average. He  may have his tactical flaws (*), but is unmatched in other areas.
He's proven he can take teams all the way.
He's won multiple awards/acclaim from his peers.

None of this should ever prevent us looking for a better option or a better set up of course, but I suspect any candidate considered a better fit for this team would be in an almost unbelievably shallow pool.
No... it wasn't me at all..

I rate Beveridge (hes definitely getting a bit stale though), but Chris Scott consistently gets Geelong to top 4. Their list isn't that much chop and yet they're in a PF yet again.

Last year's final round probably isn't one you should hang your hat on though.

A funny thing about the focus on Bevo not doing enough to get the Dogs over the line against the Hawks last week. Is that our performance had all the hall marks of a team that had been a little over coached.

It's very easy to do if you're not careful, it can even occur if you are being careful, because it's all about how the players react to instruction. Sometimes they overreact to what the coach says!

Our players were obviously over concerned about the Hawks, and not concerned enough about their own games.

Whilst Bevo didn't cover himself in glory, there are a few players who should be deeply embarrassed about how they performed on the big stage. Weightman and Ugle-Hagan topping the list.

Marra's after game antics reminded me of the Moneyball scene where Jeremy Giambi gets a lecture about what losing should sound like and then gets immediately traded out. I hope Marra at least received some seriously stern words of advice.

Weightman is also a serious worry. Following on from his disastrous performance in the 2021 grand final, he chooses to have an art show at the business end of the AFL season and then delivers a pathetic finals performance like that, giving all his critics extra ammunition. He should have been laser focused on having a big game, but he went completely AWOL just when we needed him.

It should be time for some big-headed players to take a good hard look at themselves.

But nah, let's just all pile on the coach and give the players a complete free pass.
One thing I agree with in all of that is the focus on the coach and over looking the playing group. Don't get me wrong, Bevo should be criticised and I'm in the time for change camp. However, that performance was equally on the players. And it started with our senior players, the captain in particular. I love the bont but that was an embarrassing game from our best player - 9 touches in 3 quarters. Libba, treloar, English, Dale the list goes on.

This isn't the first time this group has let us down and folded under heat. Some of it may be mental, but there is a lack fight and physical presence there. I'm all for coaching changes but I'd be taking a hard look at this playing group as well.

i disagree - we cannot tackle, broken tackles galore. opposition players are allowed to dance around 2/3 of our players constantly

you want to see what real finals pressure and tackling is, go watch Richmond 17-20

something which isnt talked about is reactive/proactive tacking. we are a reactive tackling team
I 100% agree. There seemed to be this emphasis on speed, but pressure and sticking tackles helps win big finals. All year I’ve mentioned that Garcia and West are built for finals and those two didn’t even play in the elimination final? Yet our pressure and tackling was no where near Hawthorn. Both men would have made it closer.
As much as losing last week sucked, we weren’t going to win it this season. Long term that was probably a better result because if the players and coaches aren’t matching and exceeding Sam Mitchell and his players, we are not going anywhere. Hawthorns intensity and dare to run and smothers and tackles are a long way better than ours. We have other better attributes, but in those other areas we must get better.

Agree with both you and mrchristo. The press, when executed properly is and should be a big part of our game. But like u say, it relies on high pressure and is sticking tackles. If not it creates overlaps and too much space.

But it all again goes back to bevo not having a plan b. We play a press everywhere no matter what. If it doesn’t work, we play the press no matter what cos bevo.

On a ground like the g, everyone needs to be pushing as hard as possible to move the zone/press. 1 lazy person or one missed tackle and it’s cactus.

We need to be more flexible and use man on on bigger grounds occasionally. A it shows who doesn’t want to work and where defensive breakdowns are happening, but b, it’s the ultimate press. Doesn’t create overlap, makes everyone accountable and if we’re fit enough, can smother teams with on ball pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back