Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

The things you and other anti-Bevo crew seem to be overlooking are the Bulldogs' natural disadvantages.

It’s a super even competition, but the playing field is still a long way from even.

Top four would be great, but it’s harder for us than most other clubs and the Bevo approach has delivered better than any other strategy by a long margin.

Had we played Geelong at Marvel instead of Adelaide Oval, we make top four. Had we had a slightly better draw, we make top four. Had we gotten a slightly better run from the umpires, we make top four.

Yes, Bevo makes plenty of mistakes, but so does every coach.
I am not an anti Bevo but we have never won, nor have any team when the majority of better players have poor games.

Bont
Libba
Trealor
Dale
English
Edwards
Jones

All down. Trealor played injured and the effort was there could not break away.

I am sure there are one or two others that did have good games I missed, but your inexperienced and role players cannot cover this in a final

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How do our even tackle the problem of our stars having a down night in a final?

What went wrong? How do we avoid it happening again? Do we delve into the mental preparation arena?

Remembering that is the sort of path that Adelaide took when they actively destroyed themselves, when a more levelheaded analysis would have revealed they just had a bit of bad luck early in the GF plus got shafted by some poor decisions in the first quarter. As a result, they didn't get the flying start that they desperately needed when matched up against a very strong finishing Richmond team that was always going to charge home.

But nah, the problem was that the team wasn't mentally tough enough, we know how to fix that, call in the so-called experts!

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to improve our stars but you need to be very careful in how you go about it.

It's much easier to deal with improving the supporting cast, and there is likely to be significantly more bang for your buck if we focus our attention there too.

Remembering continued improvement is far from guaranteed.
No idea and I'm not paid the big bucks to know how to! Just a humble fan.

The things you and other anti-Bevo crew seem to be overlooking are the Bulldogs' natural disadvantages.

It’s a super even competition, but the playing field is still a long way from even.

Top four would be great, but it’s harder for us than most other clubs and the Bevo approach has delivered better than any other strategy by a long margin.

Had we played Geelong at Marvel instead of Adelaide Oval, we make top four. Had we had a slightly better draw, we make top four. Had we gotten a slightly better run from the umpires, we make top four.

Yes, Bevo makes plenty of mistakes, but so does every coach.
Had we played Geelong at Marvel instead of Adelaide we'd have received 12 home games which no one gets. The draw was fine, of the teams we played twice we won either one or both of the match ups, and the umpiring excuse is ridiculous.

We don't hold some advantages such as home stadium like Geelong (and seem to get stuck having to travel there every year, but we won in 2024) and the ability to attract top talent regulalry, but this is just as bad as interstate supporters crying 'VicBias' everything something happens that they don't like.

Last edited:
Sometimes coaches can have winning records and still need replacing. Take the Toronto maple leafs for example. Made the playoffs the last 8 years in a row but only made it out of the first round once. Coach has one of the highest winning percentages of all time at the leafs but couldn’t get them over the hurdle.

They are also in a similar place to us with a bulk of cap assigned to a few top players only and having to fill the list with scraps. Have just completed board overhaul and new coach so see what happens.

But maybe Bevo is right to coach us in the regular season but just doesn’t have the game plan/structure to coach a finals winning team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Outside of 2016 & 2021 the doggies have not won a final.
Damning statistic

GWS getting rid of their coach has really turned the club around:) NOT the four sides left in the finals have all long standing coaches
Weird post. They looked cooked in Cameron’s last season or two, Kingsley has taken them to within a kick of a GF berth and then a top 4 H&A in his two years in charge. Comfortably outperformed us in that time

Last edited:
We have never made the top four. Yes, we have made finals a number of times, but each time we have been eliminated in a consistently embarrassing fashion (I honestly would have preferred we didn't make the GF in 2016).
This is where you lost me. Did you actually mean to say this?

I am not an anti Bevo but we have never won, nor have any team when the majority of better players have poor games.

Bont
Libba
Trealor
Dale
English
Edwards
Jones

I am sure there are one or two others that did have good games I missed, but your inexperienced and role players cannot cover this in a final

Agree and this why we need a stronger system based style rather than what we have now, predominantly player based.

Had we played Geelong at Marvel instead of Adelaide we'd have received 12 home games which no one gets. The draw was fine, of the teams we played twice we won either one or both of the match ups, and the umpiring excuse is ridiculous.

We don't hold some advantages such as home stadium like Geelong (and seem to get stuck having to travel there every year, but we won in 2024) and the ability to attract top talent regulalry, but this is just as bad as interstate supporters crying 'VicBias' everything something happens that they don't like.
Wrong! It was our home game, but we had to play it in Adelaide.

Sometimes coaches can have winning records and still need replacing. Take the Toronto maple leafs for example. Made the playoffs the last 8 years in a row but only made it out of the first round once. Coach has one of the highest winning percentages of all time at the leafs but couldn’t get them over the hurdle.

They are also in a similar place to us with a bulk of cap assigned to a few top players only and having to fill the list with scraps. Have just completed board overhaul and new coach so see what happens.

But maybe Bevo is right to coach us in the regular season but just doesn’t have the game plan/structure to coach a finals winning team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We need a coach who can develop a game plan that stacks up in the finals and not predominantly dependent on individual player performance.

Wrong! It was our home game, but we had to play it in Adelaide.
No. Check our fixture and see how many home games we had outside of this one - 11 x home, 11 x away, 1 x Gather Round. We were the nominal "home" team but it was a neutral game - it was essentially a toss of the coin between us and Geelong, I think all it meant was we got first dibs on home uniform selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont
Libba
Trealor
Dale
English
Edwards
Jones

The problem lachy is that our support role players almost never step up to do any better than just play a minor role.

As a result, it makes us much easier to play against. Stop a few key guys and we are toast.

We need players that have the ability to do more when the opportunity presents\demands it, ala 2016.

The problem lachy is that our support role players almost never step up to do any better than just play a minor role.

As a result, it makes us much easier to play against. Stop a few key guys and we are toast.

We need players that have the ability to do more when the opportunity presents\demands it, ala 2016.
Conceptually don't disagree, but it is not stopping 1 or 2 of our better players. I named 7 but really 10 to 12 of our best 15 were well down and beaten. We need more leadership and consistency from our better players on the field

And that is on the whole coaching and development group and the players

I’ve posted it elsewhere, but I do wonder what we do to prepare when we have a bye.

We actually haven’t won a final after a break since the 2016 elimination final.

This year in particular we looked flat footed against Hawthorn who were clearly up and about.

You can talk game plan all you like but if the other side is running harder and putting on more pressure from the get go you probably won’t win.

I’ve posted it elsewhere, but I do wonder what we do to prepare when we have a bye.

We actually haven’t won a final after a break since the 2016 elimination final.

This year in particular we looked flat footed against Hawthorn who were clearly up and about.

You can talk game plan all you like but if the other side is running harder and putting on more pressure from the get go you probably won’t win.
Very good point.

The 2016 elimination final can almost be excused too. A few West Coast players who played in that final have come out and said that their preparation for that final wasn't good and they genuinely thought we weren't a danger. Which is probably a decent factor as to why we ended up beating them.

Also under Bevo, the two elimination finals we've won, we lost the final round of the season. And every elimination final we've lost, we have won the final game of the season.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

All the five elimination finals we've lost under Bevo, we have kicked the first goal.

The two elimination finals we've won, the other team kicked the first goal.

For the record, I'm not fussed if Bevo is there next year. But if we make the finals all these things need to be addressed.

Maybe we do want Wildcard round lol?

Very good point.

The elimination final can almost be excused too. A few West Coast players who played in that 2016 final have come out and said that their preparation for that final wasn't good and they genuinely thought we weren't a danger. Which is probably a decent factor as to why we ended up beating them.

Also under Bevo, the two elimination finals we've won, we lost the final round of the season. And every elimination final we've lost, we have won the final game of the season.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

All the five elimination finals we've lost under Bevo, we have kicked the first goal.

The two elimination finals we've won, the other team kicked the first goal.

For the record, I'm not fussed if Bevo is there next year. But if we make the finals all these things need to be addressed.

Maybe we do want Wildcard round lol?
One obvious solution to the elim final problem is getting the double chance instead, so here’s hoping we break the duck next year.

Outside of 2004, Essendon have not won a final, have hardly been in any either….yetthey are supposedly a successful team with 16 flags

That’s damning
Also a good example, but I only care about the doggies and what our collective club is doing to get our 3 premiership.
A famous coach in the NBA has a saying which I apply in life and in business.....You are either part of the solution...or you are part of the problem.

It's an emotional reaction. I loved how we played in the finals. But the way we lost in the Granny I think has been scaring for the club.
I think he’s just talking about the year you nominated.

There have only been three sides get to a GF from outside the top four under the current system: us in ‘16, GWS in ‘19 and us again in ‘21.

The first two didn’t make the eight the next year and in ‘21 we snuck in when Carlton choked and got rolled. I suspect the long road to the GF (particularly the circus of ‘21) is draining.

I reckon we’d have done a lot better in ‘22 if we’d tapped out early in ‘21. Melbourne ran out of steam badly in ‘22 as well.

On balance though I like having two GFs from this era after none for so long.

Yep….i called for the white truck and the straight jacket after I read that
One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I'm eternally grateful for 2016. Bevo was instrumental. But at that point it wasn't Bevo's Bulldogs. He inherited a list, culture and footy department: that was the most important factor in 2016.

As of today we now have Bevo's Bulldogs. At this point, I don't feel proud (in general) of our performances since 2016.

I don't give a rat's about how many (if any) flags we win in the next 10 years. I am passionate about wanting a team I can be proud of supporting.

Whenever I talk to intelligent oppo footy followers about the Bulldogs they are baffled at our underperformance and inconsistency.

I loved our finals performance in 2021. But the way we capitulated in the GF I believe has been scaring for the club, and hasn't been addressed.

My comment about wishing we hadn't made the GF in 2021 is emotional. But I'm sick of the meek acceptance of the status quo.

I think he’s just talking about the year you nominated.

There have only been three sides get to a GF from outside the top four under the current system: us in ‘16, GWS in ‘19 and us again in ‘21.

The first two didn’t make the eight the next year and in ‘21 we snuck in when Carlton choked and got rolled. I suspect the long road to the GF (particularly the circus of ‘21) is draining.

I reckon we’d have done a lot better in ‘22 if we’d tapped out early in ‘21. Melbourne ran out of steam badly in ‘22 as well.

On balance though I like having two GFs from this era after none for so long.
You make some good points. But I think making the GF in 2021 has perpetuated chronic underlying weaknesses in the leadership of the club.

We've won more games than we've lost since 2021, and over the last 3 months have improved on that already winning record to clearly played our best patch of footy since 2021.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I'm eternally grateful for 2016. Bevo was instrumental. But at that point it wasn't Bevo's Bulldogs. He inherited a list, culture and footy department: that was the most important factor in 2016.

As of today we now have Bevo's Bulldogs. At this point, I don't feel proud (in general) of our performances since 2016.

I don't give a rat's about how many (if any) flags we win in the next 10 years. I am passionate about wanting a team I can be proud of supporting.

Whenever I talk to intelligent oppo footy followers about the Bulldogs they are baffled at our underperformance and inconsistency.

I loved our finals performance in 2021. But the way we capitulated in the GF I believe has been scaring for the club, and hasn't been addressed.

My comment about wishing we hadn't made the GF in 2021 is emotional. But I'm sick of the meek acceptance of the status quo.

We've won more games than we've lost since 2021, and over the last 3 months have improved on that already winning record to clearly played our best patch of footy since 2021.
I admire your optimism. Yes, I got excited for the patch of good footy we played in the second half of the year. But there is still something fundamentally wrong. We are now notorious as the tipsters' nightmare (and bookie's dream team). There is a fragility and unreliability to Bevo's Bulldogs. I hate people blaming the players. The acid needs to be on the club leadership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back