Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the difference though. We weren't unlucky in 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023. We were a worse team in all of those years than we were in 2024. We were not good enough to be a top 4 team in any of those years. I can't accept that 2024 was an "equal" season to those others, at least in the context of what it represents in terms of likely outcomes for the subsequent season. I don't agree with the characterisation of "another" year of back luck, because at least in terms of finals outcomes representign the quality of the team heading into the finals, we weren't that unlucky in 2019, 2020, 2022, we were simply just not that good.

2024: 2nd best percentage, 125.1%.
2024 in the end was more or less as good as 2021 in the end, but unfortunately it didn’t feature the finals run.

I’m banking on the work we’ve done carrying through to next year. If we had had one more win and finished top four I think even if we’d been a first week flop we’d have rallied and made a prelim.

All hypothetical of course and another season where we scrape just in or out of the eight would be unsatisfactory and likely lead to change.

Dogs trying to lure Jordan Roughead back to the club

Seriously though, Jordan is a very smart guy, and very good communicator, who was briefly in our leadership group, but I think also VP at AFLPA (?).
Would be good in a coaching or possibly footy dept/operational role. Maybe understudy to Egan?

Seriously though, Jordan is a very smart guy, and very good communicator, who was briefly in our leadership group, but I think also VP at AFLPA (?).
Would be good in a coaching or possibly footy dept/operational role. Maybe understudy to Egan?
I believe we are creating a new role so potentially for that position rather then as someone's replacement. We will be adding various new roles between current coaches and incoming ones, including head of opposition analysis & strategy and personal & community development the increased soft cap will allow us to do this aswell as beefing up the wellness and mental health department.

So by the above information you're telling me that Matthew Spangher will be the forward coach in 2025. If so I am off to India to find my soul

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So by the above information you're telling me that Matthew Spangher will be the forward coach in 2025. If so I am off to India to find my soul

Would be a complete disaster if we don’t have a new fwd coach in 2025.

I believe we are creating a new role so potentially for that position rather then as someone's replacement. We will be adding various new roles between current coaches and incoming ones, including head of opposition analysis & strategy and personal & community development the increased soft cap will allow us to do this aswell as beefing up the wellness and mental health department.
Think a few of the VFL development coaches will be on full time contracts to work with the AFL coaches

"So Tim, Jordan is now going to throw the pointy end of the ball at your eye. But don't worry, you'll front up next week after sitting in a dark room for a few days, and play like a Bull-god. Tim? Tim? Where did he go...?"

Absolutely. I think Geary takes on more of the personal development roles, Johnson is also rated highly internally.
I reckon Johnson has the tools to be a very good senior coach

His work with the under 23 players has been great

It'd be just like our club to create an entirely new position out off whole cloth just to get a former player back to the club. When in fact we should be looking for more outside influence and ideas. This is yet another sop to the power hungry megalomania of Beveridge and the cult like administration that the club has allowed to be built around him.

Why we would approach Jordan Roughead when Nathan Buckley is sitting right there just boggles the mind.

Am I doing Bigfooty right?

Im never sure we stand on these things.

Bev would be the Maharishi, Spangher Magic Alex ….. Who are you - Paul McCartney? Ian Collins for Bungalow Bill with Granty the Tiger 🐅 :(

It'd be just like our club to create an entirely new position out off whole cloth just to get a former player back to the club.

Ah, the Brad Johnson manoeuvre.

If that led us to 18th in goalkicking accuracy, I wonder what the next Bulldogs nepo/boys club hire will do for us.

All I really want for Christmas is for our coaching hires to be purely on merit and any past ties to the club (or to Bevo) to be mostly coincidental. As hopefully naive as that may be.

If we are splashing out the cash on multiple assistants generally though that would be welcome news.

And I do realise your post is pointing out the juxtaposing criticisms of the club/Bevo and the positive reaction to Roughie. But you can be sure this BF nuff is consistent on these things. No more God-Emperor Bevo, no more Bulldogs nepotism, get the best hires we can afford pending the millions of dollars we will be forking out in various lawsuits over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back