News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

The media really needs to step up with an article that runs the numbers and compares legacy benefits in a far more clear and explicit way.

The “it’s going to save a lot of money” argument is getting far more traction than it deserves.

The LNP are pathetic too. Step up and show some vision and balls ffs. They’re all terrified of the NIMBYs.

MMM this morning had people call in .
Only two were on air.
Both comments like , we need hospitals, look at Ambulance ramping, Fighting crime, Housing, why do we have to have new stadiums , that was the general message .

I get it , we all get it, but as previously said here ,take away the games we don't get this funding from the federal government, IOC , Private enterprise ,sponsership,ticket revenue etc..
It dissapears so we still don't get to upgrade Hospitals, have more cops , most of the money just doesn't appear.

Then consider the Gabba as it is has a use by date and not too far past the Olympic date it will have to be upgraded or demolished, wher's that money coming from?.
So yes , why not use some of the Two Billion dollars allocated from the IOC .
But you'll never get that sought of reasoning with a morning crew on radio would you.

Plus.
There is so much cost cutting the Games could still make.
The Redlands don't want a concrete white elephant with a white water complex, Use the Penrith one. Easy fix.
Swimming - use the Southport complex ( Leisel Jones yesterday afternoon was dumbfounded why this is not being utilised) Easy fix.
That's two for a start, I'm sure they could find existing venues rather than building new facilities where locals just don't want it anyway.

Only two were on air.
Both comments like , we need hospitals, look at Ambulance ramping, Fighting crime, Housing, why do we have to have new stadiums , that was the general message .

I get it , we all get it, but as previously said here ,take away the games we don't get this funding from the federal government, IOC , Private enterprise ,sponsership,ticket revenue etc..
It dissapears so we still don't get to upgrade Hospitals, have more cops , most of the money just doesn't appear.

Then consider the Gabba as it is has a use by date and not too far past the Olympic date it will have to be upgraded or demolished, wher's that money coming from?.
But you'll never get that sought of reasoning with a morning crew on radio would you.

Plus.
The Redlands don't want a concrete white elephant with a white water complex, Use the Penrith one. Easy fix.
Swimming - use the Southport complex ( Leisel Jones yesterday afternoon was dumbfounded why this is not being utilised) Easy fix.
That's two for a start, I'm sure they could find existing venues rather than building new facilities where locals just don't want it anyway.

Here's some cost cutting, how about not needlessly upgrading Suncorp stadium for an opening and closing ceremony it shouldn't even be hosting?

Only two were on air.

Plus.

Unfortunately there's always an argument about hospitals etc.....but they don't generate income either. And just because health has been underfunded for so long it shouldn't mean the Govt raids infrastructure funding to solve it. Not that he's even said he's redirecting funds to hospitals or housing or any of those other matters anyway!

A stadium generates income over 50 years....50 years of economic boost not to mention the IOC contributions to build it anyway. And the fact that it benefits a community socially to have events and sporting interests.

If he has more $$ in the bank he'll just funnel it out to mates, unions & politician payrises......but hang on, there are no net savings from his decisions anyway 🤣 Just setting the state up for larger debts down the road after making an international embarrassment of our city and throwing 1.6b down the toilet. What a muppet show, got to toss them out after this debacle.

Considering this one might have worst support then the Gabba rebuild, how long until plan c?

Maybe a plan C is just to build a new stadium at Vic park without all the rest which I think was only going to be about 2b and then knock down the Gabba and sell the site for same. Then Gov't can strut around saying they "saved" 2.7b on the Gabba rebuild & at least we get a stadium out of it....but won't be enough to save the games from being an utter embarrassment....

Last edited:
I'm not up to speed on what the spin off benefits are to cities that host the Olympics.

But 99% of the world wouldn't know where Brisbane was.

When the Olympics come around everyone will know.

So if it's a shoddy show Brisbane will become a bit of a joke. If it's a great show and the athletes and visitors love the facilities it could be a foundation for growth over the next few decades.

I'm not one for wasting money on anything that's unnecessary either but the above is the reality in terms of where Brisbane will sit in the eyes of the rest of the world.

I guess someone is doing the cost/benefit analysis. You would hope. If there aren't significant benefits over time why have it.

I'm not up to speed on what the spin off benefits are to cities that host the Olympics.

But 99% of the world wouldn't know where Brisbane was.

When the Olympics come around everyone will know.

So if it's a shoddy show Brisbane will become a bit of a joke. If it's a great show and the athletes and visitors love the facilities it could be a foundation for growth over the next few decades.

I'm not one for wasting money on anything that's unnecessary either but the above is the reality in terms of where Brisbane will sit in the eyes of the rest of the world.

I guess someone is doing the cost/benefit analysis. You would hope. If there aren't significant benefits over time why have it.
It is ridiculously short sighted by that Miles clown and his cronies; always hated politicians and it’s generally just one bad one after the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this official? Surely the Federal government have to step in. Or move it to Sydney they have the facilities to do it

Only two were on air.

Plus.
This bull shite about money going to Health/Housing instead of a new Stadium is such a dog whistle, the sad thing is the Public will fall for it unless as Hollow Knight said the MSM point out the stupidity of that reasoning.

I would rather we didn't hold the Olympics than go with the Steven Miles insanity option, just can the whole thing.

This bull shite about money going to Health/Housing instead of a new Stadium is such a dog whistle, the sad thing is the Public will fall for it unless as Hollow Knight said the MSM point out the stupidity of that reasoning.

I would rather we didn't hold the Olympics than go with the Steven Miles insanity option, just can the whole thing.
It’s so ridiculous. Miles says he ‘can’t justify a new stadium while QLD’ers are doing it tough’. Yet they will be the ones who pay for the GABBA to be demolished or bought up to code for years to come.

I urge you all to vote and repost this link on your social media.

It's time there was some public influence exerted on the decision makers and this sort of thing counts

Not looking too good so far.

Costings listed is intended to steer away from Vic Park option .......

...... actual cost of stadium at Vic Park is not $3.4b ..... that figure includes work for the precinct.

From what I've seen ( I admit predominantly on here) is that a Vic Park stadium alone would be around $2b.

I'll participate in the poll when the comparisons aren't apples v oranges.

ps Also another lifetime labor voter (for over 50yrs) who is considering other options for the forthcoming election, even though current choices are atrocious.

Not looking too good so far.

The framing of the poll is so hilariously misleading.

It doesn’t point out that the “renovation” of the Gabba will be immediately out of date and remain an outdated money pit, or that most of the improvements to QSAC will be immediately dismantled.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back