News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I listened to the Graham Quirk interview on SENQ this morning and he didn't say it outright but you could tell he was pissed off with the decision.

QSAC is a joke he inferred.

The new Victoria Park Stadium would have been ready well before the Olympics and the Lions and Cricket would have moved in pre the Olympics and played away games during the Olympic setup, games and wind down... what a F ING shame.

Also said that yer John Coates was firm in what he wanted and yer he got his way, definitely pissed with that.

500 Million dollars would barely scratch the surface of the Gabba, he pointed out the overhead sails all need replacing however it is not as easy as just ripping them down and putting up new ones... the structure they are connected to pylons etc are all non compliant with modern building regulations and have to be replaced as well. He then said he tipped it would end up being a 1 Billion dollar spend for not much benefit.

:mad: :rolleyes::angry::rage:😡

The framing of the poll is so hilariously misleading.

It doesn’t point out that the “renovation” of the Gabba will be immediately out of date and remain an outdated money pit, or that most of the improvements to QSAC will be immediately dismantled.

Sure is... Which is why we try and influence it
I voted and yes the framing of the question is what I noticed immediately, they are carrying water for Miles.

I listened to the Graham Quirk interview on SENQ this morning and he didn't say it outright but you could tell he was pissed off with the decision.

QSAC is a joke he inferred.

The new Victoria Park Stadium would have been ready well before the Olympics and the Lions and Cricket would have moved in pre the Olympics and played away games during the Olympic setup, games and wind down... what a F ING shame.

Also said that yer John Coates was firm in what he wanted and yer he got his way, definitely pissed with that.

500 Million dollars would barely scratch the surface of the Gabba, he pointed out the overhead sails all need replacing however it is not as easy as just ripping them down and putting up new ones... the structure they are connected to pylons etc are all non compliant with modern building regulations and have to be replaced as well. He then said he tipped it would end up being a 1 Billion dollar spend for not much benefit.

:mad: :rolleyes::angry::rage:😡

He insinuated Coates wouldn't leave them alone during the review. Important to push that Coates is a Sydney sider. I saw that in a courier mail article this morning, he couldn't care less about Brisbane.

Athletes are going to be treated to some fantastic scenery with the games including the Sunshine Coast etc, but FFS, they main stadium and central focus needs to be BRISBANE!!! Using QSAC was always the ridiculous choice that shouldn't even be at the table. London, Paris, Rio, LA,Tokyo - these are all world renowned cities, and to be able to be part of that list is a massive opportunity.

If you've got Athletes, spectators and crew all over Mt Gravatt and away from the city, it will be an absolute disaster and wasted opportunity. Miles is acting like this has been forced upon us, rather than us bidding for it, and that the only answer is to find the cheapest possible solution to getting them held and gone.

So, a political mess not that unusual when the deck chairs are in play.
Why would the LNP interfere. All political parties' agendas are similar. Win seats & office at all coats.

In my opinion the biggest issue from the beginning was the Brisbane Arena original $2.5 billion plus costs. (Yesterday's cost of $4 billion that now has a new proposed site for now, because of those costs, Ha Ha).

Brisbane did not need an entertainment center for the Olympics, and it still does not need one tied to the Olympics.
Just imaging if our starting point way back then was in the Total of around $3.8 billion for the Olympics.
Thats a new stadium and 6 other new venues all earmarked (IOC pictures of venues etc) but still to be decided on location wise.
We would be in a different space now.
So, that's only $1.9 billion from both the State and Commonwealth.
I have no doubt more funds would become available for infostructure and plan changes from that low starting point.
I doubt we would be in this big a mess, as everything has been about costs and nothing on the revenue part of the ledger.

Does Brisbane need an entertainment center? It probably does so get it done separately. (Miles/ Palecek did not want to pay at all)
Finish it earlier or later than the Olympics. Earlier would be better but not so much difference in the long term.
A state + and or private enterprise deal. I am sure something can get done to reduce the taxpayer costs.
I suggested the above to the Review committee submission.
I wonder what the costs of integrating multiple drop in pools into and removing from a building would add to the project costs.

Also, i suggested to the Committee they move swimming to an upgraded Chandler Aquatic Centre at Chandler, but they have suggested to build a new swimming complex for around $619 million as an alternate to drop in pools. I actually like that suggestion.
However, i don't think Miles has mentioned that proposal but not 100% sure.

From yesterdays review

Legacy Aquatic Centre
The Brisbane Arena is currently planned to host swimming and some other aquatic events for the Games using temporary drop-in pools. A stand-alone aquatic facility with a legacy outcome has also been canvassed. The cost of developing a permanent Aquatic Centre capable of hosting aquatics competition is estimated at approximately $619 million. The cost includes an enclosed three pool complex with 6,000 permanent and 9,000 temporary seats. Possible locations for the facility raised in stakeholder sessions include adjacent to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre at Boondall or the Sleeman Sports Complex at Chandler

They could save $300 million by moving Whitewater Rafting to Penrith as i also mentioned in my submission.
The Review's main objection is below. But unfortunately, they also gave the green light to Redlands, not that Miles would care.

"The Penrith Whitewater Stadium experiences poor weather conditions (wind and temperature) at the equivalent time when the Games will be held. In previous years, the venue has been closed between June and September"

Is this too cold to win an Olympic medal? + windchill i suppose.

Penrith NSW
Weather averages

Month High / Low(°C) Rain

June 18° / 7° 5 days

July 18° / 5° 3 days

August 20° / 6° 3 days

I have come to the conclusion that Miles is capable of adding and subtracting but not capable of moving pieces of the chess board around to see other outcomes.
He is all about costs yesterday and today, but still could have this HUGH bill to pay for the Brisbane Arena if he messes up further.
He thinks it is not his bill to pay but that may change.
I hope Albanese says no (to resigning financial agreement) as they have changed the location of Brisbane Arena and just about everything else.

I have already decided to boycott the Games and hope it is an unmitigated disaster.
I seriously hope they struggle to sell tickets to any event.
They want an ALDI Games, I hope they get it!

I have already decided to boycott the Games and hope it is an unmitigated disaster.
I seriously hope they struggle to sell tickets to any event.
They want an ALDI Games, I hope they get it!
I posted earlier I would prefer we just pull out of the Games, give it to somewhere that would do a much better job, maybe Tokyo as they had the misfortune of hosting the Covid Olympics.

That compared to what Brisbane is proposing is shocking

That compared to what Brisbane is proposing is shocking
If John Coates gets his way again the Broncos will be playing the Wests Tigers at Lang Park as part of the opening ceremony.

Disgraceful by Steven Miles, what a spineless Neanderthal he is.

If John Coates gets his way again the Broncos will be playing the Wests Tigers at Lang Park as part of the opening ceremony.

Disgraceful by Steven Miles, what a spineless Neanderthal he is.
Spineless, he as good as said in parliament today he chose the QSAC option because Coates told him to.🤮🐷

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once he gives your testicles back Steven, how about coming back to the table?

Question Time blog: Premier Steven Miles admits Games decision based on John Coates advice​

Steven Miles has admitted the controversial decision to upgrade the dilapidated Queensland Sport and Athletic Centre for the 2032 Games was based on advice from Olympics stalwart John Coates. QUESTION TIME BLOG

Was QSAC call inspired by source of bad advice?​

Steven Miles said the widely scrutinised decision to host Games ceremonies at Suncorp Stadium and athletics at QSAC was based on advice from Olympics stalwart John Coates.

LNP’s Jim McDonald asked if the decision was from the same source who the Premier previously accused of providing bad advice.
But Mr Miles said the controversial call to host major events out at the ageing Nathan facility was based on advice from International Olympic Committee vice president John Coates.

“Their proposal that Suncorp Stadium was suitable for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics and Paralympics also came from the International Olympic Committee,” the Premier said.

“Therefore, we took that advice and worked that submission up into the decision that we made yesterday.”

Once he gives your testicles back Steven, how about coming back to the table?

Question Time blog: Premier Steven Miles admits Games decision based on John Coates advice​

Steven Miles has admitted the controversial decision to upgrade the dilapidated Queensland Sport and Athletic Centre for the 2032 Games was based on advice from Olympics stalwart John Coates. QUESTION TIME BLOG

Was QSAC call inspired by source of bad advice?​

Steven Miles said the widely scrutinised decision to host Games ceremonies at Suncorp Stadium and athletics at QSAC was based on advice from Olympics stalwart John Coates.

LNP’s Jim McDonald asked if the decision was from the same source who the Premier previously accused of providing bad advice.
But Mr Miles said the controversial call to host major events out at the ageing Nathan facility was based on advice from International Olympic Committee vice president John Coates.

“Their proposal that Suncorp Stadium was suitable for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics and Paralympics also came from the International Olympic Committee,” the Premier said.

“Therefore, we took that advice and worked that submission up into the decision that we made yesterday.”
🤢 🤮

Feels like a Lions game atm.
40 pts up at quarter time , thinking how good is this only for the rug to be pulled out from underneath us.
Only positive is.
Too many disgruntled people in the media for this to just go away.
Dobbo yesterday was ropeable, Healey same.
Afl and cricket have to unite here if we have any chance of gaining public opinion , can't rely on the LNP.\
Or is the Afl going quite cause they are more focused on Tasmania and happy that Melbourne grounds have been upgraded.
Can you tell I'm losing faith, cause I am , but stuff it I'll be still doing my bit to educate my friends and anyone else that wants to listen. Hell it's our hard earned tax money they are spending.
And a lot of that has come out of the ground in Mining taxes, that's our land, minerals, make it count.
This Miles, Vilandy's, Coats are all crooks and getting away with a smoke and mirror show.
Put the fan on and blow their cover.

As I've said in the past to get the masses you have to have a carrot to dangle and they have a big rugby league carrot and a cost saving carrot based on a manipulated lie.

This is insane. What will LNP do after election? Or will all this non-sense be locked in? No AFL/Lions, cricket response?

Vic park new stadium 3.0-3.4B (top tier, transport available)
selling Gabba site for profit/park

vs

QSAC - 1.6B (embarrassment stadium plan, with limited/no legacy, no transport)
Now Suncorp - 1B (not needed)
Gabba maintenance - 0.6B (will be probably 1B too, still crap and basically done after 2032 unless more billions put into it)

Last edited:

So now we have confirmation of a $1 Billion Suncorp spend.

We’ve been told the Gabba needs $1B as well just for maintenance, but so far the government said they are looking at around $600 Million for it. And QSAC is a $1.6B upgrade.

So, GOING OFF THE GOVERNMENTS NUMBERS:
$1.6B QSAC
$1B Suncorp
$600M Gabba
Total Cost: $3.2 BILLION

ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

The sheer stupidity of saying no to a $3.4B world class stadium and instead spending $3.2B on outdated venues astounds me. He needs to resign tomorrow.

GM of Lang Park playing up the cost savings :rolleyes: , the old mantra of we can be spending the money earmarked for a new Stadium on Health, Education, Prisons, Housing.... FMD.

It's all co-ordinated, Rugby League playing us off a break, they would be chuckling behind closed doors, the AFL and Cricket Australia need to get together get their fingers out of their rectums, start lobbying and jump onto as many media outlets as possible loud and long.

Here's what my political message would sound like... "We might have been lumped with this Olympics, like the mother in law showing up uninvited, but now we'll do what Queenslanders do, and put on the best bloody barbecue the world has ever seen. And to do that, we need the best bloody barbie" and then talk about tourism, economy and all the other benefits to the state of having the world watching Brisbane.

GM of Lang Park playing up the cost savings :rolleyes: , the old mantra of we can be spending the money earmarked for a new Stadium on Health, Education, Prisons, Housing.... FMD.

It's all co-ordinated, Rugby League playing us off a break, they would be chuckling behind closed doors, the AFL and Cricket Australia need to get together get their fingers out of their rectums, start lobbying and jump onto as many media outlets as possible loud and long.
Exactly, where is AFL, Lions, cricket. Plenty of arguments to expose this insanity.

Of course the bloody NRL are behind it. I reckon if the public know, it will be bad press for them. They are smart staying in the background snaking around. It needs to be pushed as a Sydney John Coates and NRL hit job on the Brisbane Olympics.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back