News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the decathlon still at the Olympics?
Yes, see below.
But we are talking about the modern pentathlon scheduled for BHA.

Athletics: Markus Rooth (NOR) wins decathlon​

So with a lead of 16 points, Norway's Markus Rooth knows exactly what he has to do to to beat Leo Neugebauer of Germany: finish ahead in the 1500m.

And he does exactly that! It's a tense wait for the official final standings to pop up on the scoreboard, but when Rooth sees it, he jumps for joy.

Rooth wins gold with 8796 points, a new Norwegian national record, from Neugebauer on 8748. Lindon Victor wins bronze in a Grenadian national record 8711.

Modern pentathlon: Egypt's ElGendy wins men's modern pentathlon with new world record score​

Egypt's Ahmed ElGendy is the new men's modern pentathlon champion!
Already the leader going into the Laser Run, ElGendy kept his advantage at the head of the race to cross the line first.
His total score of 1555 points is a new world record.
Japan's Sato Taishu wins silver on 1542 points, with bronze to Giorgio Malan of Italy.
Mexico's Emiliano Hernández nearly overhauled Malan with a great Laser Run, which he completed in a blistering 9:40.80 (720 points) – a new world record for that category.
Paris 2024 modern pentathlon: Ahmed Elgendy claims men's Olympic gold for Egypt after dominant performance

Paris 2024 modern pentathlon: Ahmed Elgendy claims men's Olympic gold for Egypt after dominant performance

Not sure how to directly link the discussion but here is the SEN link. https://www.sen.com.au/programs/pat-and-heals/

Just click on and it will take you to a discussion, the chat is the first one in line... near the end of the 9 minute talk Gerard Whateley talks about Brisbane 2032 and that we simply can not go for a cut price Olympics.

Olympics are grand occasions and the main stadium and the athletics program is the centre piece of the event.

Not sure how to directly link the discussion but here is the SEN link. https://www.sen.com.au/programs/pat-and-heals/

Just click on and it will take you to a discussion, the chat is the first one in line... near the end of the 9 minute talk Gerard Whateley talks about Brisbane 2032 and that we simply can not go for a cut price Olympics.

Olympics are grand occasions and the main stadium and the athletics program is the centre piece of the event.
Give this a go

Thanks I have no idea how to do that, my Vintage 1959 brain can not compute it, I was raised on slate boards and chalk.

You Whippersnapper you.........

ps Me - thumbnail dipped in tar .................

People just can't compare Paris and the last of what you could call big spend LA Olympics.
The IOC knows this is not sustainable into the future.
This article explains it better than i can.
Things had to change, and Brisbane is the first in the Summer Olympics category.
We are still going to spend $7 billion so not cheap by any means. It is just not being spent sensibly in my opinion.

The question is: Will it be enough to give the Olympic project some of its shine back? If Brisbane can pull off an Olympiad that doesn’t bankrupt it, doesn’t damage its environment, and isn’t plagued by accusations of corruption or human rights abuses, it just might work.

An article from today.

"All Games, without exception, have cost overrun," researchers wrote. "For no other type of megaproject is this the case, not even the construction of nuclear power plants or the storage of nuclear waste."

no aussie state is broke. there is plenty of borrowing capacity and means to meet higher interest costs that spread the cost of this multigenerational asset across multi-generations

some data on debt
So right now, for this year, Victoria has a public sector net debt level of around $160b, on a revenue base of $97b, which yields a ratio of 165%
Queensland in comparison has a debt level of $55b on a revenue base of $95b, for a ratio of 58%. much lower!!

So Queensland if it adds say $10b of debt for Olympics (which is far more than they will and NO change to revenue base), ratio only goes up 68%. still less than half of Victoria
NSW equivalent ratio is 111%. SA is 101%. WA is 40%. Tassie is 68%

So if anyone thinks Victoria and NSW are broke right now and functioning like a basket case such as Greece was back in the day, well noone else does and its not on the news. Qld is way better leveraged. Not quite as good as WA - but better than all other so-called basket cases which are just spluttering along with chaos in the streets.....

but better than all other so-called basket cases which are just spluttering along with chaos in the streets.....
Well you've correctly described NSW and Vic traffic at least.

People just can't compare Paris and the last of what you could call big spend LA Olympics.
Things had to change, and Brisbane is the first in the Summer Olympics category.
We are still going to spend $7 billion so not cheap by any means. It is just not being spent sensibly in my opinion.

The question is: Will it be enough to give the Olympic project some of its shine back? If Brisbane can pull off an Olympiad that doesn’t bankrupt it, doesn’t damage its environment, and isn’t plagued by accusations of corruption or human rights abuses, it just might work.
If we spend 7 Billions dollars and do not get a much needed elite standard legacy oval stadium out of it for Cricket/AFL and other marquee events that is the definition of squandering money and a once in a century opportunity.

When will the politicians get it through their thick skulls that the Gabba is rapidly approaching the end of its useful life.

So the moral to the story is, let's hope we don't get too much snow, right?

no aussie state is broke. there is plenty of borrowing capacity and means to meet higher interest costs that spread the cost of this multigenerational asset across multi-generations

some data on debt
So right now, for this year, Victoria has a public sector net debt level of around $160b, on a revenue base of $97b, which yields a ratio of 165%
Queensland in comparison has a debt level of $55b on a revenue base of $95b, for a ratio of 58%. much lower!!

So Queensland if it adds say $10b of debt for Olympics (which is far more than they will and NO change to revenue base), ratio only goes up 68%. still less than half of Victoria
NSW equivalent ratio is 111%. SA is 101%. WA is 40%. Tassie is 68%

So if anyone thinks Victoria and NSW are broke right now and functioning like a basket case such as Greece was back in the day, well noone else does and its not on the news. Qld is way better leveraged. Not quite as good as WA - but better than all other so-called basket cases which are just spluttering along with chaos in the streets.....
The article did not say any specific city/state/country is going bankrupt.
The IOC want that to be avoided in future Olympic city/country bids.
Hense the new rules starting with Brisbane, but some were implemented for Paris and also LA.
Hopefully you read the full article and not just absorbed the "bankrupt" word.
Debt is a big concern to the IOC, but other issues are just as concerning to them going into the future.
It is about eliminating huge bidding cost, corruption, construction plans in line with human rights, sustainability and the environment, indigenous concerns and a host of other issues.

Having 85% of venues already in place at the time of bidding is a requirement and should help in total costs.
But it only helps if the host city sticks to what was proposed and does not get carried away by what they see in Paris/LA in Brisbane's case.

I agree Queensland's debt is pretty good and manageable. The lower the debt the better of course.
I have mentioned before the Qld. government had two big surpluses after the covid years.
They also paid down a lot of debt during those two surplus years.
The Qld. government is pretty well run in regard to finances.
However, they are on the nose with the uninformed public and we are likely to get an inexperienced LNP voted in.

So far, the monies put aside the last 2 years for the Olympics have not formed part of any debt.
That was one of the good things about a long lead in time of about 10 years for the Brisbane Olympics.
Budgets can be planned for either no debt, a little debt or a lot of debt.
No real reason that they can't manage it so the $3.5 billion not the $10 billion you mentioned does not form any part of debt over the remaining 8 years.
The balance of $3.5 billion total funding package is a federal government problem.

Queensland only has to budget for $350 million each year for 10 years but they are unlikely do it that way. Started well though.
That may be the basic plan, but governments can't allow for wars/stock market crashes/virus outbreaks and other unknown issues.
They do have election promises though and need to stick to them if they want to stay in power.

The article did not say any specific city/state/country is going bankrupt.
The IOC want that to be avoided in future Olympic city/country bids.
Hense the new rules starting with Brisbane, but some were implemented for Paris and also LA.
Hopefully you read the full article and not just absorbed the "bankrupt" word.
Debt is a big concern to the IOC, but other issues are just as concerning to them going into the future.
It is about eliminating huge bidding cost, corruption, construction plans in line with human rights, sustainability and the environment, indigenous concerns and a host of other issues.

Having 85% of venues already in place at the time of bidding is a requirement and should help in total costs.
But it only helps if the host city sticks to what was proposed and does not get carried away by what they see in Paris/LA in Brisbane's case.

I agree Queensland's debt is pretty good and manageable. The lower the debt the better of course.
I have mentioned before the Qld. government had two big surpluses after the covid years.
They also paid down a lot of debt during those two surplus years.
The Qld. government is pretty well run in regard to finances.
However, they are on the nose with the uninformed public and we are likely to get an inexperienced LNP voted in.

So far, the monies put aside the last 2 years for the Olympics have not formed part of any debt.
That was one of the good things about a long lead in time of about 10 years for the Brisbane Olympics.
Budgets can be planned for either no debt, a little debt or a lot of debt.
No real reason that they can't manage it so the $3.5 billion not the $10 billion you mentioned does not form any part of debt over the remaining 8 years.
The balance of $3.5 billion total funding package is a federal government problem.

Queensland only has to budget for $350 million each year for 10 years but they are unlikely do it that way. Started well though.
That may be the basic plan, but governments can't allow for wars/stock market crashes/virus outbreaks and other unknown issues.
They do have election promises though and need to stick to them if they want to stay in power.
The IOC along with FIFA are 2 of the most corrupt gravy train organisations on the Planet, I wouldn't be looking to either for guidance on any of those issues... IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The IOC along with FIFA are 2 of the most corrupt gravy train organisations on the Planet, I wouldn't be looking to either for guidance on any of those issues... IMO.
Thats what they were alluring to in the article and what the IOC is changing under the new guidelines
The IOC corruption around bidding clearly mentioned.

I hate talk like this because all of the cost arguments against the Olympics are based on previous Olympics. Australia is unique in that, other than maybe India, no other country could realistically justify spending billions of dollars on a massive oval stadium. Our balance sheet after everything won’t look bad because, unlike all of these other centrepiece stadiums, ours would continue to be used regularly for AFL/Cricket. A stadium which, again, we need anyway to replace the Gabba.

Ironically the most expensive/wasteful option IS this “cut price” QSAC option, because it will just immediately be demolished after the games anyway, and we still need a new Gabba which will have to be funded by the taxpayer instead of the IOC.

I wish when people have a voice via the media they would get some facts correct.
It is an ideal time to get thing right and put some pressure on politicians to confirm or deny something.
Sally Pearson (todays article link below) clearly believes what Miles was implying in his pressor after knocking back the Kirk report on stadiums.
She is also wrong about scrapping plans for a $3.5 billion stadium at Victoria Park.
You can't scrap something that was not in the Qld governments plans in the first place.
She defiantly has a point about holding the athletics at QSAC.
But loses me again when comparing stadiums build a long time ago being Sydney 2000 (capacity 110k) and Beijing Birds Nest stadium 2008 (80K). Even if Brisbane can somehow get a new stadium, we are talking 55k

Miles said something along the lines of " we can't justify building a new stadium when people are in a cost-of-living crisis."
Clearly giving the impression that the stadium money would be spent on cost-of-living benefits to Queenslanders.
This was grossly misleading and no one in the media has picked him up on this to my knowledge.
All allocated funds totaling $7 billion will be spent on the Brisbane Olympics, $3.5 coming from the Qld. Government.

The head of swimming Australia does not want a drop in pool at the proposed Brisbane Arena. Neither do the swimmers past and present.
He prefers a new legacy pool that Kirk mentioned. The IOC Brisbane head replied, "Brisbane has enough 50-meter pools".
I have stated on many occasions in my opinion the Brisbane Arena is not needed for the Olympics.
A new closer to the CBD Entertainment venue is needed for Brisbane but no essential for the Olympics.

The Queensland government is determined not to invest billions in new venues for the 2032 Olympics, instead committing funds for cost of living relief measures.

Premier Steven Miles announced he would scrap a $3.4 billion plan to build a new inner-city stadium in Victoria Park in time for the Olympics.

I hate talk like this because all of the cost arguments against the Olympics are based on previous Olympics. Australia is unique in that, other than maybe India, no other country could realistically justify spending billions of dollars on a massive oval stadium. Our balance sheet after everything won’t look bad because, unlike all of these other centrepiece stadiums, ours would continue to be used regularly for AFL/Cricket. A stadium which, again, we need anyway to replace the Gabba.

Ironically the most expensive/wasteful option IS this “cut price” QSAC option, because it will just immediately be demolished after the games anyway, and we still need a new Gabba which will have to be funded by the taxpayer instead of the IOC.
Just about everyone with a few brain cells would agree with you on the crazy QSAC spend.

But overall costs are a big problem worldwide for major projects
I have stated the $7 billion spend on Brisbane is enough and should not be a big debt issue

1723434118272.png
:rolleyes: :mad:

The 26th of October can not come quick enough, kick this waste of space out with the garbage.

Only worry is it could be a case of one brain dead politician replaced with another brain dead politician.

View attachment 2077070

The 26th of October can not come quick enough, kick this waste of space out with the garbage.

Only worry is it could be a case of one brain dead politician replaced with another brain dead politician.
Blows my mind that that clown could is anywhere close to a leadership role in any capacity. He's a goose and goes to show what a joke labour is - not saying the libs any better tho.

A new 55k stadium can be built in the shape of Adelaide Oval and Carrara, allowing for a temporary (or even permanent, further down the line) seating capacity increase to 75k.

This would obviously be the best outcome for Brisbane 2032, and the only reason it might not happen is because it would inadvertently help the AFL/Brisbane Lions.

Blows my mind that that clown could is anywhere close to a leadership role in any capacity. He's a goose and goes to show what a joke labour is - not saying the libs any better tho.
Yes, we in Australia have our own vacuous political versions of Joe Biden, Donald Trump and Kamala Harris sadly.

View attachment 2077070

If that's a rubbish bin, is he trolling the Broncos season?

If the Lions are there Grand Final week and I see Steven Miles in Lions merchandise I will vomit.
I misread that as Stephen Milne and while it still made sense, I wasn't sure why he'd be wearing Lions gear.

I don't think there's any way Miles could front up in Lions gear. The boos will be insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back