News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

$120 million doesn't go far. Some of these things could almost be supporting infrastructure for a future stadium

• An all-ages, all-abilities ‘Adventurescape’ playground incorporating natural elements like sticks, vegetation and rocks for nature play;
  • A two-kilometre “Parkway Loop” boulevard linking the existing land bridge over the Inner City Bypass and the Brisbane Metro and busway station;
  • A new active transport bridge at the entrance of the park;
  • Road and intersection upgrades to improve safety and accessibility in the park;
  • New administration and operations buildings;
  • Wayfinding signs and public art;
  • Additional car parking facilities.
Let's hope so 🤞

I did plenty of scuba diving around SE Qld down to Coffs Harbour in the 1990s including at Byron. This post reminds me of a man that was on his honeymoon in 1993 that was taken by great white on a safety stop in front of his wife. Never forgot the stories for the people there.

Almost seems too far fetched to be true; however, here is an article discussing the incident: https://www.9news.com.au/9stories/w...es-today/e78c9c0e-4397-4c57-a790-aba516999383

I remember when that guy got taken. I thought of that incident constantly when I dived the same spot a few years later. Not sure why I did!

Never been scuba diving but have done some snorkelling, I snorkelled the Conflict Islands, Milne Bay PNG about 10 years ago, snorkelled over the edge of a reef and could not see the bottom, first thought that crossed my mind was a shark could come up from beneath and make a meal of me. Didn't stop me doing it but it was an eerie strange feeling.

I remember when that guy got taken. I thought of that incident constantly when I dived the same spot a few years later. Not sure why I did!
The hypothesis was that the shark was quite old and remembered the whaling station at Bryon Bay, which closed in the early 1960s. I always comforted myself by thinking it was far, far more dangerous driving to the dive site than being taken by a shark.

What's new is that the state and federal governments just assigned another $120 million towards it.
Found this one without a paywall.
The BCC was always waiting for help to get their project up and funded, looks like they succeeded.

Under the agreement, the Australian Government, Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council will each contribute $40 million to deliver Victoria Park catalyst works, including:

What's new is that the state and federal governments just assigned another $120 million towards it.
To ostensibly go towards certain element of the redevelopment, mostly accessibility-based. All of these elements I think wuold be able to be included with or without a stadium.

I did plenty of scuba diving around SE Qld down to Coffs Harbour in the 1990s including at Byron. This post reminds me of a man that was on his honeymoon in 1993 that was taken by great white on a safety stop in front of his wife. Never forgot the stories for the people there.

Almost seems too far fetched to be true; however, here is an article discussing the incident: https://www.9news.com.au/9stories/w...es-today/e78c9c0e-4397-4c57-a790-aba516999383

Nowadays the sharks are jumping into boats down that way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking like the Gabba won't be getting a metro station either with the rebuild not proceding.

Plans for a $450 million busway and Metro station at Woolloongabba are being reconsidered due to the decision not to rebuild the Gabba.
Federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine King, Queensland Transport Minister Bart Mellish and Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner are now considering the best use of the $450 million.
“Minister Mellish raised this issue with me yesterday, as did Adrian Schrinner when I saw him, and we’ll just continue to have discussions. But no decisions are made yet.”
Schrinner confirmed the talks.
“With the decision not to rebuild the Gabba, there is an opportunity to redirect the Gabba Metro station funding into expanding the Metro to more locations,” Schrinner said on Thursday night.
“This would be the kind of much-needed transport legacy that prompted us to bid for the 2032 Games in the first place.”
Mellish acknowledged the council’s interest in redirecting the funding.
“Brisbane City Council have indicated they may wish to use the $450 million allocated on different projects,” the minister said through a spokeswoman.
“The State Government is yet to receive a formal proposal.”

Cross River Rail. That's being done by Qld Gov. Metro is the BCC project, which would've been integrated into the current Gabba Busway Station

View attachment 2065596
Oh. So the Metro is a bus project.

You'll have to bear with me... I've moved from Sydney where the Metro was a big (and overrated) underground rail project.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back