News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not saying that I wouldn’t love a 70,000 seat Stadium, that would be fantastic.
But I do honestly think it would be half empty at most games for some period.
So we are talking Sell outs of an average of 31,000 with a capacity of just over 36,000.
And a Footy mad Melbourne with Stadium capacities of 55,000 and 100,000 that are more often than not half empty in a City with a population double Brisbane similar to the growth that you are expecting in Brissy.

I would much prefer to go to games in a 55k Stadium with crowds of 40-45k than a 70k Stadium with crowds of 40-45k.
Admittedly finals footy would go pretty close to selling out a 55k Stadium and the Atmosphere would be amazing but even in Finals footy I don’t think we would sell out a 70k Stadium for many games the next 30-40 years.
I just can’t see it.
That being said, one aspect of Suncorp's design that I've always likes is how it is a perfectly designed three tier stadium where the top can easily be closed and from being there and on TV you are none the wiser that it isn't sold out. I guess Marvel has also been doing that for low attendance games or at least on the camera side they shut that top tier.

No reason why any design couldnt be constructed accrdongly.

That being said, one aspect of Suncorp's design that I've always likes is how it is a perfectly designed three tier stadium where the top can easily be closed and from being there and on TV you are none the wiser that it isn't sold out. I guess Marvel has also been doing that for low attendance games or at least on the camera side they shut that top tier.

No reason why any design couldnt be constructed accrdongly.
So many wide pan shots in the AFL it’s hard to hide it in the TV coverage.
But I cant see why any stadium wouldn’t be able to do this.
The Gabba had a large section closed for a long period of time during the down years.
We got kicked out of the section the closed down.

Last edited:
The LNP won’t keep QSAC when they get in power, it’s universally hated and they’ll jump at the chance to bin an unpopular Labor plan.

So unless some other option magically appears, it’ll be Vic Park.

A supportive LNP mayor with 4 years of incumbency for themselves is more than enough political capital to make it happen, they know by the time the next election comes around it won’t be an issue since it’ll be half built by then.

The LNP won’t keep QSAC when they get in power, it’s universally hated and they’ll jump at the chance to bin an unpopular Labor plan.

So unless some other option magically appears, it’ll be Vic Park.

A supportive LNP mayor with 4 years of incumbency for themselves is more than enough political capital to make it happen, they know by the time the next election comes around it won’t be an issue since it’ll be half built by then.
This just makes so much sense.

It's no chance.

Better than sticking with a School that can’t expand on its current footprint.
I've explained already how it can do that. And it's even easier for them to expand if Vic Park gets up and the Gabba becomes obsolete.

Isn't only 4 lanes wide alongside the stadium? As in 4 inbound lanes?
Plus one outbound lane.

It's gridlocked frequently as is, can't imagine they would ever reduce it given it's a hugely important & highly used entryway to the hospitals and the city. And again what are we gaining by losing a lane?
I work in the town planning field. Let me tell you something that most town planners (and traffic engineers) know but a lot of the public don't: more traffic lanes do not solve congestion, because of what's called the induced demand effect. The more lanes there are, the more people are encouraged to drive. Every extra lane just attracts more cars and causes more congestion. That's how you get highways like this in the United States:

1000010911.png
(and they're still congested in peak hour!)

The only way to actually solve congestion, especially in the inner city where space is at a premium, is by encouraging people who can use bikes or buses instead to do so. That won't apply to everyone (tradies hauling tools for example), but it does cover a lot of the people going towards the CBD or the hospital. So the very best thing the government can do with Stanley St is to reduce the number of traffic lanes, add cycling lanes and increase the number of buses. A side benefit of this is there'd be more room to move around the Gabba.

Really isn't going to make much difference for the Gabba site....
Sure it is. Access around the stadium is a problem with getting people out of there currently.

still too small to be a feasible location.
Well that depends what size of stadium they want, doesn't it?

I work in the town planning field. Let me tell you something that most town planners (and traffic engineers) know but a lot of the public don't: more traffic lanes do not solve congestion, because of what's called the induced demand effect. The more lanes there are, the more people are encouraged to drive. Every extra lane just attracts more cars and causes more congestion. That's how you get highways like this in the United States:

The only way to actually solve congestion, especially in the inner city where space is at a premium, is by encouraging people who can use bikes or buses instead to do so. That won't apply to everyone (tradies hauling tools for example), but it does cover a lot of the people going towards the CBD or the hospital. So the very best thing the government can do with Stanley St is to reduce the number of traffic lanes, add cycling lanes and increase the number of buses. A side benefit of this is there'd be more room to move around the Gabba.
It is the reason I ride my bicycle from home to Yoga which takes me along Stanley Street and past the Gabba in the early morning, on the way back home it is peak hour and most days I am beating the traffic particularly when you get to the dedicated bike lane at the Main Street intersection which then takes me all the way home. :bike:

#morebikelanes

It is the reason I ride my bicycle from home to Yoga which takes me along Stanley Street and past the Gabba in the early morning, on the way back home it is peak hour and most days I am beating the traffic particularly when you get to the dedicated bike lane at the Main Street intersection which then takes me all the way home. :bike:

#morebikelanes
Good on you, keeps you fit and gets you home faster. Do you feel you have enough protection from cars at the moment? I'd really like to see bike lanes with an actual barrier to prevent motorist-cyclist collisions on streets like Stanley Street.

Good on you, keeps you fit and gets you home faster. Do you feel you have enough protection from cars at the moment? I'd really like to see bike lanes with an actual barrier to prevent motorist-cyclist collisions on streets like Stanley Street.
I have come into contact with a car twice, once the bike suffered pretty substantial damage, I just copped a twisted knee and some bruising, I was tangled up in the bike and it took a bit of help from the driver to get me out.

2nd time was very minor, I hit the car side on and it just lifted the back wheel, I didn't even come off the bike.

My policy is just assume the car does not see you.

The barrier between the cars and bikes on the section from Main St intersection to Annerley Rd would be ideal everywhere.

For now, i prefer the Gabba site rather than Victoria Park once the Cross River rail station is up and running
The Gabba still does have an issue with buses after the game though, and a fix is needed before 2032.
The Gabba is most likely where AFL and cricket is played up till 2032. T20 cricket during the Olympics.

But we can dream
If the government is really worried about the costs just build a new stadium and sell the Gabba site after the Olympics.

The Victoria Park proposal looks pretty good on paper and i can see huge costs savings over the Gabba by using a basically virgin site.
I will compromise in seating capacity and say 61k will be enough, and that seating capacity should fall within budget.
Budget being $2.7 billion
Maybe with plans allowing for future increase in capacity
I think proposing/building a 70k capacity venue to start with will blow the budget out bigtime and just won't see the light of day.

However, the Victoria Park proposal is still a bit of a longshot in my opinion.
A lot of issues to solve even if the government of the day changes its mind. I have mentioned these issues before.

In my opinion one thing that must be built is a new rail station close to wherever the venue is located.
This will make the venue so much easier for people to attend. The Busway is not far away to help with moving people to and from the venue.
Lots of posters disagree with me about needing a new rail station.
There is a big cost with that, although the rail line is already there and no existing station to take down.
A good place to have the rail station is where the proposed greenspace connection is planned.
That being next to and below the existing pedestrian/cycleway overpass, opposite the Lifetime tennis courts Spring Hill.

A lot of posters believe the Exhibition Station located behind the EKKA grandstand is within walking distance of Victoria Park.
Maybe so, but it is still a decent walk and has other issues.
The Fortitude Valley rail station is also too far away for most people to consider.
The exit from the new EKKA station will be via Bowen Bridge Road see map below.

Bowen Bridge Road is super busy, and no way will it be closed to traffic before or after AFL, Cricket or Concerts.
So, everyone will have to wait for light changes at one spot to cross at the corner of Bowen Bridge Road and Herston Road.
Then you have to find your way across more sets of lights to get to Gilchrist Avenue. Quite small footpaths there too.
No way this area gets closed off either, with a major RBWH car park occupying the whole roundabout spot excluding the roads of course.
The further down Gilchrist Avenue the stadium is built the longer you have to walk.
The proposal had the venue near Yorks Hollow located at the very end of Gilchrist Avenue.
But that was just for presentation as a suitable area for construction would need to be found.
Blue: New Exhibition Rail Station not open yet. Fortitude Valley station bottom right.
Green: Station entry/exit. Under construction shared pathway connecting to Bowen Bridge Road. See also the larger map.
Red: Traffic lights.
Brown: Proposed Victoria Park stadium site. Could change though.
Light Green: Existing pedestrian/cycle overpass. Proposed plan was to extend and widen this into much more green space.
Pink: My site for a new rail station before 2032. Connects to overpass and the extended proposed green site.

1723532314978.png

1723532434945.png

At this point I can't get behind anything that leaves the school standing. It's a matter of principle.

I will only vote for a candidate that commits to bulldozing the school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is an existing footpath/bikeway underpass that runs under Bowen Bridge Rd connecting Gilchrist Avenue/Victoria Park to Bowen Park/RNA North. View attachment 2078339
Maybe the new rail pathway also has an offshoot to that cycleway which in isolation would appear to help.
I would guess it's not all that wide though to handle a trainload of people arriving.
Maybe the under construction new pathway is also not very wide as they would not have planned for a full trainload of people getting off at the station except during EKKA time and they have planned for that.
Also, would be much worse after the game when lots more people will leave the stadium at the same time.
If linked it would save going to the traffic lights further up the road though.

Did any other city bid crazy Brisbane won

World

Without any rival bids, Brisbane picked to host 2032 Olympics​

Brisbane was picked Wednesday to host the 2032 Olympics, the inevitable winner of a one-city race steered by the IOC to avoid rival bids. The Games will go back to Australia 32 years after the popular 2000 Sydney Olympics. Melbourne hosted in 1956.

World

Without any rival bids, Brisbane picked to host 2032 Olympics​

Brisbane was picked Wednesday to host the 2032 Olympics, the inevitable winner of a one-city race steered by the IOC to avoid rival bids. The Games will go back to Australia 32 years after the popular 2000 Sydney Olympics. Melbourne hosted in 1956.

Misleading - there were a bunch of other bids but the new IOC process only anointed a preferred one to progress to a more detailed stage.

Well it was always on the cards, blind Freddy could see Qld losing major sports without a decent stadium.
Miles asleep at the wheel…
Great to hear Alan Border supporting Vic park….so many respected & high profile people starting to show support it will be hard to keep kicking the Gabba can down the road for long 👏

Well it was always on the cards, blind Freddy could see Qld losing major sports without a decent stadium.
Great to hear Alan Border supporting Vic park….so many respected & high profile people starting to show support it will be hard to keep kicking the Gabba can down the road for long 👏

Steven Miles and his lackies are thick as bricks, they can not get their empty skulls around the concept of the long term benefits of a world class circa 60,000 capacity state of the art oval stadium > economic benefits eg. tourism, hospitality, accommodation, jobs, improvement to surrounding transport infrastructure.

Steven Miles and his lackies are thick as bricks, they can not get their empty skulls around the concept of the long term benefits of a world class circa 60,000 capacity state of the art oval stadium > economic benefits eg. tourism, hospitality, accommodation, jobs, improvement to surrounding transport infrastructure.

Totally agree! It's even more than that too - it's that we're actually slipping backwards losing stuff now....it's not just the lost opportunity of all the things you mention, it's now become a matter of holding on to what we have (or had)....losing the ashes well gees all the generations before us have had local cricket over the summer....we're just slipping further & further down from the other major cities and their entertainment & events because we have pathetic insufficient and antiquated infrastructure the Govt isn't interested in replacing.

Qld cricket fans forced to watch at home on the tv while all the action is interstate.....just like the Lions supporters that can't get tickets anymore who have to watch at home on tv more & more....we'll probably hear next the AFL shift the Lions qualifying final (if we get one) to the MCG due to lack of facilities/capacity here...what a stuff up by Gov't if only the Libs looked more promising but I fear they are equally as asleep at the wheel...

CA 👏👏👏

That’s the exact lever they need to pull. They should announce Hobart as the 5th venue for the 2029 Ashes in the upcoming schedule release.

Losing an Ashes test would really be the end for Miles and is just another reason the LNP can trot out to justify Vic Park when they flip (new stadium brings back our Ashes Test match)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back