News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Qld cricket fans forced to watch at home on the tv while all the action is interstate.....just like the Lions supporters that can't get tickets anymore who have to watch at home on tv more & more....we'll probably hear next the AFL shift the Lions qualifying final (if we get one) to the MCG due to lack of facilities/capacity here...what a stuff up by Gov't if only the Libs looked more promising but I fear they are equally as asleep at the wheel...
Both major parties are probably going to pretend the Olympics doesn't exist until after the election. Most likely, they'll have focus group data telling them it's a major turn-off for voters.

After the election they'll get on with the job of selling whatever plan they are/have formulated and find a way to do it. I'm not sure what that will entail for Labor given their previous committment to mediocrity but I can definitely see state and local levels getting together and being able to package Vic Park as the most cost-efective solution, whether that's entirely public/IOC money or whether they get private business involved. I'm no great fan of privatisation, but after seeing what Stadiums Queensland get away with, I'm thinking it could work out better.

Both major parties are probably going to pretend the Olympics doesn't exist until after the election. Most likely, they'll have focus group data telling them it's a major turn-off for voters.

After the election they'll get on with the job of selling whatever plan they are/have formulated and find a way to do it. I'm not sure what that will entail for Labor given their previous committment to mediocrity but I can definitely see state and local levels getting together and being able to package Vic Park as the most cost-efective solution, whether that's entirely public/IOC money or whether they get private business involved. I'm no great fan of privatisation, but after seeing what Stadiums Queensland get away with, I'm thinking it could work out better.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...y/news-story/bab0e3d5d7eb4e7188b8b21c3747204c

Sorry, I don't understand why that's in reply to me.

Now I'm going to confuse you more by replying to you like this

The Simpsons Flirt GIF

Oh I always just click reply to add a comment oops!
It's just more Gabba upgrade info supporting Vic park!
Alan Border headlining that one. Need more guys like him coming out and supporting a new build. If he doesn't mind having the Gabba pulled down and converted to real estate, that's pretty impressive considering his legacy at the ground. I'm sure a development could feature a small park greenspace in the centre to commemorate the history of the gabba.

The Rugby one is a strange one, don’t they play at Suncorp?

I suppose he is saying that big rugby union tests could be played at the 'New Gabba' with the expanded capacity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose he is saying that big rugby union tests could be played at the 'New Gabba' with the expanded capacity?
I kind of thought that is what he meant.
But when you have a 55k rectangular stadium made for that type of game it seems an odd choice to play in a 60k round.
I can understand if it were a World Cup or similar in any of the rectangular sports it would be an extra ground that can be used throughout the tournament.

But when you have a 55k rectangular stadium made for that type of game it seems an odd choice to play in a 60k round.
I can understand if it were a World Cup or similar in any of the rectangular sports it would be an extra ground that can be used throughout the tournament.
Surely there has to be a better way of retracting the seating as needed to facilitate this. I know Docklands and Perth Stadium has this feature but it's so cumbersome and cuts up the grass that they hardly ever use it.

There must be a better way... Whether you can somehow slide the stands over the top of the surface such that it leaves a gap between the bottom of the stand and the grass underneath. Maybe the bottom of the stands can be equipped with sprinklers and UV lights 🤷

Sounds funny/weird but look at that stadium in Spain where they cut the playing surface up and put it literally underground whenever there's a big concert there. It sounds laughable even now... Yet it's been done!

Surely there has to be a better way of retracting the seating as needed to facilitate this. I know Docklands and Perth Stadium has this feature but it's so cumbersome and cuts up the grass that they hardly ever use it.

There must be a better way... Whether you can somehow slide the stands over the top of the surface such that it leaves a gap between the bottom of the stand and the grass underneath. Maybe the bottom of the stands can be equipped with sprinklers and UV lights 🤷

Sounds funny/weird but look at that stadium in Spain where they cut the playing surface up and put it literally underground whenever there's a big concert there. It sounds laughable even now... Yet it's been done!
There's a few stadiums with retractable/movable seats overseas now, and the technology has massively improved over Docklands. All automated, etc.

I guess there's the aspect of Suncorp being 30 years old....and Vic park may end up bigger than 60k yet depending on the level of support it receives in the lead up to the election / Olympics.
Perhaps also trying to appease the Rugby crowd that aren't keen to see investment in AFL....although it seems nowadays everyone up here is super excited about all the sports on no matter what code....it was becoming such a sporting city especially from Covid when all the codes moved up here.
But sadly the Gov't hasn't invested in sporting infrastructure to maintain the growth since so it is all dropping off....it's becoming really difficult to actively support the Lions now given we can't get to many games. If Vic park is comfirmed (a BIG if) it will still be years & years away before games are played there so I'm not sure what that means for supporters in the interim.

There's a few stadiums with retractable/movable seats overseas now, and the technology has massively improved over Docklands. All automated, etc.
I am sure there is lots of new designs and technology in this space.
However, either would blow out the costs by a fair margin.

The State Government has had about 3 years to get solid plans in place for the Brisbane Olympics.
The only thing that's mostly settled is the 35 minor venues so that’s something.
Now all of a sudden, we just have 8 years remaining to the Brisbane Olympics.
It’s really 7 years as you want venues ready 12 months before the event.
Still enough time if they get their act together. But why not try to have everything in place by 2029/2030
The longer you leave big projects the more likely inflation eats into your funds.

Shortly after Brisbane was granted the Olympics, funding of $7,000,000,000 was agreed to, half coming from the federal government.
This agreement was renegotiated after the Gabba rebuild was cancelled, the breakup and total remained the same.
After the Quirk report backflip by Miles the bulk of that funding is now for the Brisbane Arena being $2,500,000,000 of federal money. Any excess comes from the State Government
That's for an entertainment center that Brisbane does need, but certainly not for the Olympics to just have a drop in pool.
Admittedly it will look great on TV for two lots of 7 days then dismantled. No legacy for swimming.

The public still have not been advised about the urgent validation report and business case (Quirk report recommended on 18/3/24) into the new proposed Brisbane Arena site near the Roma Street Gardens.
That was 5 months ago.
Where are the journalist in this space. This is $2,500,000,000 of taxpayer's money.
It’s a huge chunk of the total Olympic costs and nothing concrete has been settled after 3 years.
No scrutiny has been put on this project at all.

The newest Olympic governments funding agreement should not have tied the federal funding to just one venue again.
It was originally done this way as the feds did not want to be tied to The Gabba as they believed huge costs blowouts would be inevitable. They were correct on that one.
In my opinion this agreement should be changed again to just a 50/50, split with the feds funding capped at $3,500,000,000.
Then have a reassessment on the best way to spend the total funds which remain the same.
When you start with one $7,000,000,000 pool of money you can get a better overview on how best to spend it and get big projects off and running.
Make no mistake the State government cannot fund a new stadium $2,700,000,000, $500,000,000 for the Gabba and $900,000,000 for their share of the 35 other venues with $3,500,000,000. They fall $600,000,000 short.

Just off the top on my head using the total funds and not locked into a particular venue.

Victoria Park new stadium: $2,700,000,000
New swimming venue: $600,000,000 either at the proposed Vic Park plan or Chandler (Quirk report costing)
The Gabba upgrade: $500,000,000. State budgeted amount. Needed for AFL, Cricket and T20 cricket for Olympics.
The 35 minor venues: $900,000,000 State budgeted amount
The 35 minor venues: $900,000,000 Federal budgeted amount
QSAC Training venue only for athletics: $500,000,000. To keep Coats and the IOC on side with an athletics legacy. Separate post coming on this.

That comes to a total of $6,100,000,000
That leaves $900,000,000 left to spend. Maybe this could go towards the Brisbane Arena if the government entered into a separate shared commercial arrangement for the venue. If that happened, then the Brisbane Arena may still be viable as a venue. However, this amount still falls way short of the estimated costs though. More partners maybe?

What you get:
A new stadium around the 60k capacity. Opening/closing ceremonies and athletics.
Legacy for AFL, Cricket, Concerts.
New swimming venue. Legacy for swimming. Seven gold medals alone from swimming at Paris
Gabba upgrade. Needed for ageing venue. Keeps Lions and Cricket going till Olympics then T20 cricket during Olympics
Sell the Gabba block after the Olympics to recoup some funds.

What you lose:
Lang Park Upgrade. Not really needed with a new stadium
New Entertainment Centre. With a 17k capacity
The state government should be able to come to a separate commercial agreement for this project.
If not, it is put on hold until funding is available.
Legacy for entertainment, concerts, basketball, netball

The State Government has had about 3 years to get solid plans in place for the Brisbane Olympics.
The only thing that's mostly settled is the 35 minor venues so that’s something.
Now all of a sudden, we just have 8 years remaining to the Brisbane Olympics.
It’s really 7 years as you want venues ready 12 months before the event.
Still enough time if they get their act together. But why not try to have everything in place by 2029/2030
The longer you leave big projects the more likely inflation eats into your funds.

Shortly after Brisbane was granted the Olympics, funding of $7,000,000,000 was agreed to, half coming from the federal government.
This agreement was renegotiated after the Gabba rebuild was cancelled, the breakup and total remained the same.
After the Quirk report backflip by Miles the bulk of that funding is now for the Brisbane Arena being $2,500,000,000 of federal money. Any excess comes from the State Government
That's for an entertainment center that Brisbane does need, but certainly not for the Olympics to just have a drop in pool.
Admittedly it will look great on TV for two lots of 7 days then dismantled. No legacy for swimming.

The public still have not been advised about the urgent validation report and business case (Quirk report recommended on 18/3/24) into the new proposed Brisbane Arena site near the Roma Street Gardens.
That was 5 months ago.
Where are the journalist in this space. This is $2,500,000,000 of taxpayer's money.
It’s a huge chunk of the total Olympic costs and nothing concrete has been settled after 3 years.
No scrutiny has been put on this project at all.

The newest Olympic governments funding agreement should not have tied the federal funding to just one venue again.
It was originally done this way as the feds did not want to be tied to The Gabba as they believed huge costs blowouts would be inevitable. They were correct on that one.
In my opinion this agreement should be changed again to just a 50/50, split with the feds funding capped at $3,500,000,000.
Then have a reassessment on the best way to spend the total funds which remain the same.
When you start with one $7,000,000,000 pool of money you can get a better overview on how best to spend it and get big projects off and running.
Make no mistake the State government cannot fund a new stadium $2,700,000,000, $500,000,000 for the Gabba and $900,000,000 for their share of the 35 other venues with $3,500,000,000. They fall $600,000,000 short.

Just off the top on my head using the total funds and not locked into a particular venue.

Victoria Park new stadium: $2,700,000,000
New swimming venue: $600,000,000 either at the proposed Vic Park plan or Chandler (Quirk report costing)
The Gabba upgrade: $500,000,000. State budgeted amount. Needed for AFL, Cricket and T20 cricket for Olympics.
The 35 minor venues: $900,000,000 State budgeted amount
The 35 minor venues: $900,000,000 Federal budgeted amount
QSAC Training venue only for athletics: $500,000,000. To keep Coats and the IOC on side with an athletics legacy. Separate post coming on this.

That comes to a total of $6,100,000,000
That leaves $900,000,000 left to spend. Maybe this could go towards the Brisbane Arena if the government entered into a separate shared commercial arrangement for the venue. If that happened, then the Brisbane Arena may still be viable as a venue. However, this amount still falls way short of the estimated costs though. More partners maybe?

What you get:
A new stadium around the 60k capacity. Opening/closing ceremonies and athletics.
Legacy for AFL, Cricket, Concerts.
New swimming venue. Legacy for swimming. Seven gold medals alone from swimming at Paris
Gabba upgrade. Needed for ageing venue. Keeps Lions and Cricket going till Olympics then T20 cricket during Olympics
Sell the Gabba block after the Olympics to recoup some funds.

What you lose:
Lang Park Upgrade. Not really needed with a new stadium
New Entertainment Centre. With a 17k capacity
The state government should be able to come to a separate commercial agreement for this project.
If not, it is put on hold until funding is available.
Legacy for entertainment, concerts, basketball, netball
Is that you Mr Quirk?

i don’t think Border was advocating for retractable seating, more so just pointing out it could be used by rugby/league for big events similar to how the MCG is used for Origin.

At 60,000 I think that’s redundant with Suncorp existing, you’d only get those event games there if it was an 80k stadium imo (and even then only sparingly).

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back