News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think we are getting a GABBA rebuild
So does this mean we could play our home matches on the Gold Coast while it's being rebuilt?

Still prefer the Vic Park stadium proposal but I don't have $2B floating around with me to fund that idea :huh:

Last edited:
So does this mean we could play our home matches on the Gold Coast while it's being rebuilt?

Still prefer the Vic Park stadium proposal but I don't have $2M floating around with me to fund that idea :huh:
I believe you mean $2b.

$2m might buy you a block of land inside the Westfield ring.

Last edited:
I believe you mean $2b.

$2m might bye you a block of land inside the Westfield ring.
That's what I meant to say, my bad.

My career in finance is in shambles right now.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

That's what I meant to say, my bad.

My career in finance is in shambles right now.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

You’re the guy that does the LNPs costings for their policies aren’t you

Surely Victoria Park needs to happen. What is the cost comparison of knocking down/rebuilding Gabba vs Victoria Park. I reckon there is more chance of Brisbane pulling out of hosting 2032 altogether, at this point. Do it properly, or don’t do it at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they go with the Gabba, surely it'd be unlikely that they'd stick with the original timeline. Can't see them being ready to tear it down by the end of next year.

To memory, that timeline had it under construction from 2025-2029, opening in 2030. If this 100 day review is done by early next year and the way forward is locked in, they could still feasibly do some sort of RNA upgrade in two years, knock the Gabba down at the end of 2026, and have it ready for 2031.

RNA will be even more of a nightmare now than what it was earlier though. 60k+ members now trying to fit into a 20k stadium won't be easy.

Surely Victoria Park needs to happen. What is the cost comparison of knocking down/rebuilding Gabba vs Victoria Park. I reckon there is more chance of Brisbane pulling out of hosting 2032 altogether, at this point. Do it properly, or don’t do it at all.
I honestly don't get why Brisbane bid for the games; we clearly don't want it.

Most cities when they bid or do get it are bursting at the seams to put on the greatest spectacle with the best stadiums, yet the QLD Government to me are resentful of it and doing their best to do it as cheaply as possible. It really is embarrassing.

Given how dudded the Japanese were when they were supposed to have it in 2020 and then had it in 2021 with barely any fans, I would much rather they just be given the 32 games to make up for the 20/21 debacle because its evident the 32 games are going to be an embarrassment all due to a few egomaniacs that are putting themselves before the state.

He said Labor’s plan to use QSAC as Brisbane’s Olympic and Paralympic Games’ athletics venue was dead.
Mr Crisafulli said the state would be “proud” of his 100-day plan to get the Games back on track, but was still refusing to say where athletics should be held.
“Within 100 days Queenslanders will see a plan that they are proud of, and in doing so, we can restore faith in that process,” he said.
“I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the Prime Minister about that, and we intend to speak directly to the Sports Minister, who is a Queenslander and I reckon we can get a good outcome.”
Mr Crisafulli has promised QSAC would not go ahead and no new stadiums would be built - indicating a return to Annastacia Palaszczuk’s Gabba rebuild.

I still think we are getting a GABBA rebuild

"Mr Crisafulli has promised QSAC would not go ahead and no new stadiums would be built - indicating a return to Annastacia Palaszczuk’s Gabba rebuild."

So there you have a strong indication that the LNP/Crisafulli are not keen on a new stadium and they've already ruled out the QSAC option. Therefore, a Gabba rebuild seems very likely. Back to where we were about 12 months ago. That means the Lions will need to find a new stadium for multiple years.

Reckon there's a chance that the Lions may sell a home game or two to other locations like Cairns during that period, but you'd have to think a Gabba rebuild would result in most home games being played on the Gold Coast while the new Gabba is being built. If it happens, I think there will be genuine discussions about upgrading the capacity at Carrara. We sold out 4 of our 9 home games at Carrara this year and I don't think it's unfair to suggest that the Lions would pull more than 25k to games on a regular basis. If you fill in the open section of the stadium then the capacity will jump to 32-35k and that's probably fairly suitable given the circumstances. Hopefully they begin discussions about a light rail extension from the nearby train station to the stadium (and all the way to Broadbeach from there) so it's easy for you guys to get there if this does eventuate.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back