Gaff - does he stay or go? Let me set the scene..

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to predict hes going to get a nasty reception when he plays against us here?

I doubt that, when did the Eagles home fans become w***ers?

At least we have a silver lining in this, Gaff is an amazing player but we have copped without him, Sheed has been a beast, we have cash to burn, players want to come to the club, we won't be short of options.

8 debutantes, missing three top ten players, win the flag. Everything is peachy.

So to those that say Gaff can leave because we won a flag without him - would we have finished top 2 without him? He may not a premiership player and he doesn't get a medal but I think you're kidding if you think he wasn't a huge part of our flag this year.

Of course he was a huge part of why we won the flag.
Personally I thought the way he carried on about not winning it in the public eye irked me.
To me it showed part of why he is leaving for big dollars. It's about him.

So to those that say Gaff can leave because we won a flag without him - would we have finished top 2 without him? He may not a premiership player and he doesn't get a medal but I think you're kidding if you think he wasn't a huge part of our flag this year.

He is a loss.

Do you think he is going to get any better ?

This is the risk we take when we recruit Victorians. It's ok. We do alright and can cover it. It's a stupid wheelbarrow of cash that you would be a fool to pass up for kicking a ball. I'm devastated at the way he is exiting but so be it. There's a new cup in the cabinet (not sure where it is now) and that is awesome.

He could have been our first 300 gamer but it wasn't meant to be. If Cap can hold on for 3 years he will be a well deserving #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to predict hes going to get a nasty reception when he plays against us here?
Depends how you define nasty
I’d Boo him , but I used to Boo Judd in the years after he left and I still Boo Ebert .
I don’t consider booing nasty - which is fortunate because eagles players were boo’d repeatedly by the a vocal section pies fans throughout the long weekend (at the parade , at the footy festival , and at the GF event ) . Would never abuse Gaff or any other player otherwise though .

Sucks if true, but at least there are options available to try replace him.
We're not going to have to pull a player from left field to cover him.

#warchest4cogs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We should do all we can to try and get Coniglio right now. If GWS are clearing cap space by allowing Shiel and Lobb to move then they must be confident of Kelly and Coniglio extending for longer, now North fans all seem to think that Kelly to them next year is a done deal, which would leave a lot of cash for GWS to secure Coniglio.

Throw a million at him, make some noise about it, offer up as much as we can.

Depends how you define nasty
I’d Boo him , but I used to Boo Judd in the years after he left and I still Boo Ebert .
I don’t consider booing nasty - which is fortunate because eagles players were boo’d repeatedly by the a vocal section pies fans throughout the long weekend (at the parade , at the footy festival , and at the GF event ) . Would never abuse Gaff or any other player otherwise though .
Agree, particularly the bold. Said it before, Gaffy is a very good player but he is no match winner. He is definitely not worth 1.2 a year and I think it would be irresponsible to match. I think we played a less predictable and a more accountable game since he was out. Anyone saying we played our best footy at the start of the year is incorrect. Yep we won 10 in a row and played very attractive footy, but finals footy is very different. Our recruiting team has done a fantastic job in recent years and I trust them to make the right decisions and possibly pull something out of left field.

I think what made Gaff the saltiest most was that he realised we didn't need him to win it. Imagine the damage to your ego if your one of the better players in a team and they do perfectly fine without you ?

Not really. I'm pretty ambivalent about him going tbh. He was a big part of what the team did this year though.

He certainly was an integral part to the team this year, i won't begrudge him going either when you hear what they are prepared to pay him, i'm not sure he is worth that much.

He is a very good player, but IMO that sort of money should be for a player that is a game breaker, i'm not sure he is that.

Last edited:
The team obviously showed they can win without him with the rise of Sheed + Rioli, Ryan and Cripps showed they can impact running through the midfield. Shuey, Yeo and Redden are well and truly established.

Fair chance we'll also land Kelly which would be nice providing we don't pay overs for him, imo.

We'll also be well positioned to land a big name at the end of next year with the free cap space. Perhaps there's a chance that may happen in the upcoming draft this year.

I'm ok with it. He's given great service, good luck to him. All the best Gaffy.

He certainly was an integral part to the team this year, i won't begrudge him going either when you here what they are prepared to pay him, i'm not sure he is worth that much.

He is a very good player, but IMO that sort of money should be for a player that is a game breaker, i'm not sure he is that.

I tell you what, if they pay him $1.2m it's definitely overs. He's a good player, but he's not a match winner, the type who does it off his own boot. And North Melbourne are clearly very desperate and willing to pay overs.

I can see them blowing all this cash and still missing the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff - does he stay or go? Let me set the scene..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back