Gaff wants to go back to melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The Magenius

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Had it indicated to me by numerous sources.
I know essendon are keen.
So who wants him ?
After that performance he has got to be worth a bit :cool:

I personally hope its all shit but its what I have heard from multiple sources.

So he's "toughed it out" for a whole half a year over in the wild west, and wants to come home to Mummy in Melbourne, eh? :rolleyes:

I know it can be difficult being away from home for the first time, especially at 18 in a serious professional environment, but the kid needs to harden up a bit I think if he really wants to make a go of being an AFL footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would an hero tbh, but i doubt it. Eagles are a team on the rise, lots of money. Only reason he'd do it would be to pull a Judd, and i'm sure WC would make sure that wasn't a factor before drafting him, given the Judd situation.

So he's "toughed it out" for a whole half a year over in the wild west, and wants to come home to Mummy in Melbourne, eh? :rolleyes:

I know it can be difficult being away from home for the first time, especially at 18 in a serious professional environment, but the kid needs to harden up a bit I think if he really wants to make a go of being an AFL footballer.

Maybe he wants to go to Melbourne to play for a big club so he can play finals.

Lets hope by leaving it doesn't cost him 3 premiership medals.

Maybe he wants to go to Melbourne to play for a big club so he can play finals.

Lets hope by leaving it doesn't cost him 3 premiership medals.

Not meaning to derail this thread, but as I said about Nathan Buckley (assumedly, that's what you're hinting at) yesterday in another discussion:

Buckley walked out on the Bears, a club that had won 11 games and two wooden spoons in the three seasons before he got there, and only won four games and finished 13th (in a 15 team competition) with him there. At that point the Bears were a rabble, and were more likely to fold due to poor crowds (average crowd of 11,664 to Brisbane games between 1990-1993) and being uncompetitive (the aformentioned consistently poor record), than they were to merge with Fitzroy and eventually (eight years after Buckley left) become the superpower that they did.

To say Buckley missed out on three Premierships with Brisbane is somewhat ridiculous IMO, as there was no indication in 1993 that the club would ever be as successful as they eventually became. He had every right to think he was leaving a dud club for a more successful one, and there's no guarantees that that club would have enjoyed the same success with Buckley playing there, as it would have changed the entire structure (leadership and on-field positioning and play) of the side in the years prior. Nobody thought the Lions were a genuine Premiership chance even in 2001 until this game (they weren't even in the 8 before the start of that game), and even then nobody expected them to become one of the greatest teams of all time after that, so how could Buckley have known it at the end of 1993? If he's supposed to feel guilty or wonder what might have been because he left the Lions eight years before they won a Premiership, then so should every other player who left a club over half a decade before they won a Premiership (eg. Brisbane's #2 pick from the 1992 National Draft, Nathan Chapman).

Buckley shouldn't have done what he did, but not because of possibly missing out on a Premiership, but because it was a poor way for an individual to treat a football club, and made the Bears and everyone involved with them look second-rate and as though they weren't "worthy" of his talents (they were an embarassing rabble at the time, but still). The whole situation just painted him as a self-centred, egotistical jerk. What made it worse was that there was no "go home factor" involved for the Adelaide-born, Darwin-bred Buckley; the Bears were the closest thing the Northern Territory had to a team at the time, and that is how they originally acquired Buckley's services: through their QLD/NT zone.

As for Gaff, he should stick it out with the Eagles IMO. If he was playing for the Crows or the Power right now, I could maybe understand him wanting to leave, but I'd still suggest he persist. As it is though, he's got a good opportunity in an up-and-coming team, at a successful club that has plenty of money and a large and loyal fanbase. If you really want to be a successful AFL footballer, sometimes you've got to make sacrifices. A high draft pick begging to home after half a season (without possible exceptional circumstances, a la Harley Bennell) would make me seriously question if the kid had what it took mentally to be a top AFL footballer.

I can tell you the source that got all this talk going.

One of the managers from the firm that manages him is Skipworth who does work with Essendon and the Bendigo Bombers in player development.

Skipworth/Essendon - Gaff talks to him = He's wants to go home and Essendon is the place.

Of course Essendon would be interested as would every team in the league but this rumour is no more valid than any other that you hear crapped on about on BF.

When you see sentences with "my sources" " i have it on good authority", you can pretty much know it's just more big noting.

I have no idea if he wants to go home or not but i do know how the rumour started.

To say Buckley missed out on three Premierships with Brisbane is somewhat ridiculous IMO
He certainly missed out on at least 2 at North. He signed a heads of agreement with North and decided at the last minute to go to the Pies instead. North's senior players (whipped into a frenzy every time by Pagan) would make it their business to terrorise him every match between the 2 teams thereafter.

If there is truth to it. Surely WC could have a decent look at getting a hold of GWS #1 pre draft selection and get O'Meara. No chance of him getting home sick and wanting to leave, could be a 10+ year player.

For Gaff to get back to a Vic team though, it would have to be a 3 way trade for the above scenario to work.

If there is truth to it. Surely WC could have a decent look at getting a hold of GWS #1 pre draft selection and get O'Meara. No chance of him getting home sick and wanting to leave, could be a 10+ year player.

For Gaff to get back to a Vic team though, it would have to be a 3 way trade for the above scenario to work.
Are you suggesting ryder to GWS or something ?:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff wants to go back to melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back