GAME THREAD - Us v Them

Remove this Banner Ad

We certainly need Bower, but not necessarily at the expense of Duigan.
I hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater after last night.

I like Duigan but not at the expense of Watson.

When Jamo and PB were overworked late last season, the cry was that we needed an extra tall defender. We got one in Watson. Especially with Jamison and Bower both just settling into the season, it's paramount we have a third tall and there's no candidate at the Bullants pushing him out.

White, Laidler, Duigan and Russell are all competing for the medium defender positions. White and Laidler can pinch-hit as undersized talls; Russell and Duigan on the smalls.

With rotations being paramount, a maximum of 2 can fill those spots - with the sub rule you can't carry an extra medium defender on a 3 man bench. So Laidler gets the nod over White and Russell over Duigan.

Kane Lucas for the extra midfielder with defensive skills. Gibbs if desperate.

Nearly as bad as Judd's throw.

Judd actually handpassed it, but hey you probably argued that Daisy handpassed the ball when he was shooting for a 3 pointer in the last.

Collingwood supports :rolleyes:

I must say I've never heard so many supporters agrue and screm about EVERY decision made by the upmire, if they didn't get the free the umpire was wrong, if Carlton got a free it was wrong, if they got a free they should have got 50 with it...

Collingwood fans were complaining about the ruck frees Carlton got last night, and I for one think we didn't get enough of them, in the centre or around the ground. Watch the replay and watch what Jolly does, he blocks the run of Hammer and Warnock, doesn't watch the ball but watched the man. Leigh Borwn would wrap his arm backwards arounf Hammer and Warnock to restrict their jump on boundry throw ins, it was so obvious and only called twice or three times.

I just can't yet see Watson being used for the whole year.
I have no favourites, but I do know we haven't seen the best of Duigan just yet.

I agree but I just think Team Balance is a delicate thing. e.g. Lucas and Armfield both have a bright future ahead of them but have been victims of the sub rule.

I'd expect Laidler, Duigan, Lucas, Watson & White to play 10-15 games each this year. If Davies and, fingers crossed, Austin can force their way back in then that's not a bad return from a much maligned but developing backline.

Horses for courses and Duigan will get his fair chance.

Collingwood fans were complaining about the ruck frees Carlton got last night, and I for one think we didn't get enough of them, in the centre or around the ground. Watch the replay and watch what Jolly does, he blocks the run of Hammer and Warnock, doesn't watch the ball but watched the man. Leigh Borwn would wrap his arm backwards arounf Hammer and Warnock to restrict their jump on boundry throw ins, it was so obvious and only called twice or three times.

This, I am not down on the umpiring, they do a decent job, just some of the interpretations. .. its a shame we keep tweaking the rules and don't allow the umpires to concentrate on the basics. ..

Example with just the age old shepherd rule:

Cloke consistently shepherds his defender from the fall of the ball - that should be called shepherding from a marking contest, you don't have to have a team mate there

Collingwood invented and have perfected the shepherding of the guy on the mark but the umpiring has to be on top of it when they get it wrong and step within the 5m and start the shephard before the play on

Shapherding out of the ruck contest needs to be looked also. . . least they started picking it up but Warnock was getting mauled early and barely able to compete. ..

I agree but I just think Team Balance is a delicate thing. e.g. Lucas and Armfield both have a bright future ahead of them but have been victims of the sub rule.

I'd expect Laidler, Duigan, Lucas, Watson & White to play 10-15 games each this year. If Davies and, fingers crossed, Austin can force their way back in then that's not a bad return from a much maligned but developing backline.

Horses for courses and Duigan will get his fair chance.

This, if we're not going to throw Waite back (which we should avoid*), Watson is the only KPD apart from Jammo that is and should perform the role atm (come on Austin). .. Bower, is best 18 and like Duigan/Laidler should be given the chance to play as the third tall. ..

*Ratts has been brave so far not to try it last night

So Watto needs to stay in, for now and either Duigs, Russell or Steps need to make way for Bower (defender for defender to maintain team balance). .. Rusty has the runs on the board*; Steps is rotating well and assisting; Which leaves Duigs to go back to the VFL (for now). .. Duigs, is solid, so he'll get back into the team. ..

*If Ratts is even braver he'll give Rusty the rest next week to find some kicking and tackling form and Duigs will remain

Duigan has been serviceable but we need Bower. Ideal back 6:

Russell Jamison Yarran
Watson Bower Armfield

Yarran can play forward. Armfield and Russell can rotate through the midfield.

With a 3 man interchange bench, we can't afford to carry both Duigan AND Laidler in the same team - neither have shown the versatility to be anything other than medium defenders.
Laidler won't be dropped.

Yarran won't be moved forward.

These two don't panic with the ball in their hands and turn it over.

The lack of logic on this board makes for compelling viewing.

Anyone else think that Ratts might have sent Walker a message on Friday by subbing him? The Collingwood game last year is where Walker was labelled soft and if Ratts has felt the same way again then Walker might be on the pine next week. .. By demanding release from the back line and not quite stepping up into a midfield role his lack of versatility could harm his chances. .. Might get another week but if Hendo performs well. ..

i cant believe ratten still wants to use gibbs in negative roles,it cost us a final v swans imo.leigh matthews made a comment last night about it saying "carlton are robbing peter to pay paul",and roos said a couple of weeks ago it would be to our detriment.seriously gibbs must be so pissed off right now in fact i think its insulting that he has to tag,when i saw him go to pendlebury on the hbf before the first bounce my heart sank and as usual when it was too late ratten let him loose.when gibbs is tagging thats one less gun the other coach doesnt have to worry about.
you might of guessed im not a ratten fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cant believe ratten still wants to use gibbs in negative roles,it cost us a final v swans imo.leigh matthews made a comment last night about it saying "carlton are robbing peter to pay paul",and roos said a couple of weeks ago it would be to our detriment.seriously gibbs must be so pissed off right now in fact i think its insulting that he has to tag,when i saw him go to pendlebury on the hbf before the first bounce my heart sank and as usual when it was too late ratten let him loose.when gibbs is tagging thats one less gun the other coach doesnt have to worry about.
you might of guessed im not a ratten fan

Obviously, otherwise you would have been here with the rest of us, giving Ratts praise for moving Yazz to HBF. .. Instead of just coming in after one match lost and a debatable move. ..

Obviously, otherwise you would have been here with the rest of us, giving Ratts praise for moving Yazz to HBF. .. Instead of just coming in after one match lost and a debatable move. ..
what has yarrans move to the hbf got to do with the fact that our best ball user is used as a tagger?so he makes a good decision on yarran and you think this cancels out his stupidity on gibbs.as im replying lloyd and dermie on sen making the same point.

This, I am not down on the umpiring, they do a decent job, just some of the interpretations. .. its a shame we keep tweaking the rules and don't allow the umpires to concentrate on the basics. ..

Example with just the age old shepherd rule:

Cloke consistently shepherds his defender from the fall of the ball - that should be called shepherding from a marking contest, you don't have to have a team mate there

Collingwood invented and have perfected the shepherding of the guy on the mark but the umpiring has to be on top of it when they get it wrong and step within the 5m and start the shephard before the play on

Shapherding out of the ruck contest needs to be looked also. . . least they started picking it up but Warnock was getting mauled early and barely able to compete. ..

Agree, the one thing that Collingwood do when the ball go forward is either Choke and Dawes will block their opponent about 10m of the ball to allow the other to get to it, the umpires never see it cause they are ball watching the marking contest

At various times last night Betts, Thornton, Walker and Carrots didn't go when it was their time. Robbo and Curnow are making these blokes' pissweak efforts stand out even more and rightly so.

It's one thing to not be good enough, but to not go hard as you can when it's your turn is beyond belief and beyond acceptance. 12 and 35 aren't the most skilled at the club but they are players that will lift us places other more talented but pea-hearted players won't. Hugely disappointed at some of the stuff I witnessed last night.

At various times last night Betts, Thornton, Walker and Carrots didn't go when it was their time. Robbo and Curnow are making these blokes' pissweak efforts stand out even more and rightly so.

It's one thing to not be good enough, but to not go hard as you can when it's your turn is beyond belief and beyond acceptance. 12 and 35 aren't the most skilled at the club but they are players that will lift us places other more talented but pea-hearted players won't. Hugely disappointed at some of the stuff I witnessed last night.

Add Russell, was a 2-on-2 in the back line and he made one effort and left it to Watson to fight for the ball against the Pies players. .. Wasn't the only one but the main one. ..

Robbo, Curnow, Laidler, Garlett, Simpson, Scotland and Duigan are the guys that are most likely to put their body on the line for us right now.

They can't all be Robbo's ..................................... but then again more should be.
I think you should add Ellard Army and Sugar to that

Remove this Banner Ad

GAME THREAD - Us v Them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back