GAME THREAD - Us v Them

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how I have been going on for years about Carrazzo and the same people who defended this guy are on here now asking questions about him, lol

And you sound like someone who can only see the positives and brush the rest under the carpet as usual. The problem with us fans/supporters is that we seem to settle for mediocre, but I guess we have got used to it after such a long time at the bottom.

But anyway if that makes you happy so be it, good luck with that. :)

It wasn't mediocre, we were beaten by a more experienced, more organised, better drilled side, that are 12-18 mnths ahead of us development wise.

We aint gonna win 22 games.

Deal with it base boy.

Watson was left to drown in the deep end, was horrible to watch. There was a play where Daisy got the ball in the center and kicked into the forward line and Watson spoiled it, at this this point i thought "well done Matty, now the boys can get back and help you ( considering they were only 30metres away, standing in the center) But no, instead 3 more Collingwood players ran in and savaged the ball from him resulting in a goal.

Pretty much exactly what I said earlier. I could not believe me eyes when I saw that happen!

This is exactly why the pies are #1 in the AFL, they all work for eachother.

Carlton don't seem to be at that stage yet.

It wasn't mediocre, we were beaten by a more experienced, more organised, better drilled side, that are 12-18 mnths ahead of us development wise.

We aint gonna win 22 games.

Deal with it base boy.

:thumbsu:

No more need be said. Some have ridiculous expectations of the side and refuse to acknowledge a premiership team isn't built overnight.

Well played Blues, outside of that 3 goal burst we had in the 2nd quarter I thought you guys held your own extremely well. You would have beaten any other team tonight with that gang tackling pressure. It was a frustrating game to watch, we just couldn't break you.

By the way, Carlton had 20 free kicks the Pies 19. Some decisions were ordinary but umpires will never decide a 120 minute game of footy. Already looking forwad to the re-match.

Some of the free kicks awarded to the pies were simply baffling. I didnt see the first half but I was listening to it on the radio and had a 30 minute meeting from just after the start of the first to the start of the second.

One of the frees that bemused even that most biased of one eyed Collingwood supporters, Tony Shaw, was the contest between Russell and Blair 20m out where Russell just outmuscled Blair, and had the free awarded against him. Shaw couldnt believe that the free was given as he deemed it a fair contest.

In the end, there were a small number of decisions that went your way that did end up bolstering the margin by a couple of goals which flattered you.

Round 17 when we have a full side in and some of the new players have a few more games under their belts will be a completely different story I reckon.

Looking forward to it now!

Nah you deal with it, I will praise Carlton which I have done tonight, but I am not like you I don't accept mediocre and I will point out the errors and the mistakes, I will also criticize the players who should be doing better, anyway enjoy, seems like you are enjoying it.

crickey alpha- don't just get on your horse after a loss.Poor form
With the style of play the Pies play contested ball was the priority
Ellard gets in and fights/wins the ball
Army gets in and fights and stops you getting the ball
Sugar can do it all
3 blokes I would have thought of as essential V Coll

Like I said I was impressed with the effort for the 4 quarters, but also what continues to kill us is the skill errors and the passengers. But the kids did well, especially Watson, Garlett, Yarran etc great signs especially from Garlett.

crickey alpha- don't just get on your horse after a loss.Poor form
With the style of play the Pies play contested ball was the priority
Ellard gets in and fights/wins the ball
Army gets in and fights and stops you getting the ball
Sugar can do it all
3 blokes I would have thought of as essential V Coll

Lucas needs to earn a game. Struggling at present.

I like Ellard but Curnow but Curnow and Robinson have made the inside mid spots their own.

Huge fan of Armfield and reckon he was stiff to miss.

As you said, we did hold our own pretty well, but I still think we looked a little scared out there at times and made some dumb mistakes. As for the free kick count, it doesn't really matter what the number says at the end of the match. What really matters is how much of what actually happens gets called correctly. You're right that the umps aren't the ONLY reason we lost, but as I said in my earlier post, you'd have to take about 25 to 30 points off the margin to balance it after the amount of shit that went your teams way all night. Even if you think that's too much, you can reduce it to 20. You take 20 points off the margin and you have a hell of a game which we could have won.

As for the re-match, I am also looking forward to it. Hopefully we will have our #1 ruck, CHF, CHB and a handful of other guys back by then. If we can get some even close to fair umpiring going as well, I think we're every chance to take the game when we play next.

On the day when you don't even give a shit about poor umpiring is the day the Blues have made it as a powerhouse of the competition. I don't worry about shit umpiring anymore because it doesn't stop us from winning games, but it used to give me the shits before we won the flag. Agree you guys copped some ordinary decisions tonight. Remember the throw that Judd dished up on the wing, no whistle...I didn't care. Play on !

Why was Army left out? We needed him tonight, would have been a great help to Yarran to break the zone with his speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucas needs to earn a game. Struggling at present.

I like Ellard but Curnow but Curnow and Robinson have made the inside mid spots their own.

Huge fan of Armfield and reckon he was stiff to miss.
Lucas did well for Ants

Why was Army left out? We needed him tonight, would have been a great help to Yarran to break the zone with his speed.

Victim of the sub rule and his new role as an attacking mid then Collins having a BOG game as a mid/forward in the VFL. .. Will have to have a solid outing tomorrow to get back in contention. .. Its great that there are players like Shoulders, Ellard, Macca and now Army putting pressure on the first 18. ..

On the day when you don't even give a shit about poor umpiring is the day the Blues have made it as a powerhouse of the competition. I don't worry about shit umpiring anymore because it doesn't stop us from winning games, but it used to give me the shits before we won the flag. Agree you guys copped some ordinary decisions tonight. Remember the throw that Judd dished up on the wing, no whistle...I didn't care. Play on !

I'm not 100% sure what your point is here. Why would shit umpiring bother you? It's usually in the Pies favour. As I have said before, we simply were out-played and made some bad skill mistakes, but I would have just loved to have been able to see a fairly-called game. Obviously I don't want calls going in the Pies favour, but I'm not asking that they go the Blues way either. I just wanted to see a full-on, fairly umpired game. I think it would have been an absolute cracker. In case you're wondering as well, it isn't just Carlton games where this sort of thing shits me. I hate it when any game gets ruined by bad calls, regardless of the teams.

I'm looking forward to the replay though. We should have our full team back by then, and I understand that there will always be the occasional bad call (no one is perfect), but I hope to see a legitimate, fair contest next time we play. I'm marking it on my calender so I know to watch the game on tv, but I may try and get some tickets to the game and head down to Melbourne. That would be an awesome atmosphere to be in.

Anyway, my point is still this: shitty calls ruined what would have been an amazing and very close game. When it comes down to how the two teams played, the Pies have to get the points. They were more calm, experienced, made smarter decisions and used the ball better. With that said, I think a fairly called game and we could have possibly seen a draw or a Blues win. Anywho, all we can do now is look forward to next week, and look forward to the re-match with the Pies later in the year. Congrats to them on containing a team which really is establishing itself as one of the elite, regardless of what Alph would have people believe.

I think I've made my point well enough now too. I don't want to keep talking about biased calls all night. Both are great teams and will be top 4 this year in my opinion, assuming they both stay healthy. I think the Pies just have the edge on us in depth and experience. Our depth is improving greatly compared to where it was a few years ago, and the experience will come in time. Someone here said that the Pies are about a year ahead of us development-wise, and I agree. This time next year, our depth should be even better as a new batch of rookies comes through, and our current top 22 gets another years experience into them.

I'm not trying to make a point. Just saying that I've mellowed in my anger towards crap umpiring decisions only because it doesn't decide our fate. I'm speaking generally here not about tonight specifically. But, if I was a Blues fan I would be frustrated with some decisions tonight because they did rob you of momentum and a chance to apply scoreboard pressure. Anyway, good luck Blues, I'm hoping for a big finals clash this year.

Is it too early to discuss next week? Have spent a 40 minute tramride full of bogans...

Whatever Hampson's abilities as a ruckman, he's cringeworthy around the ground. This attempt to turn him into a full forward will never work. Levi must play - a noted goalkicker who can pinch hit in the ruck is more valueable to our structure than a 'project player' who's in his fifth season.

We need an extra tall to help out Jamison and Watson. Whichever of Austin, Bower or Henderson is ripest gets the gig ahead of Thornton. A bag of goals against GC isn't enough to save his career.

Lucas and Armfield belong in our best 22. Run and carry off the half back line - we can't afford to play Laidler and Duigan in the same team.

I'm not trying to make a point. Just saying that I've mellowed in my anger towards crap umpiring decisions only because it doesn't decide our fate. I'm speaking generally here not about tonight specifically. But, if I was a Blues fan I would be frustrated with some decisions tonight because they did rob you of momentum and a chance to apply scoreboard pressure. Anyway, good luck Blues, I'm hoping for a big finals clash this year.

Ahhh, I see. In most cases, you're right that the umps calls usually don't decide a game. The point that I and others have been trying to make here though is that in this game, the calls DID decide (or come very close to deciding) the end result.

Anyway, I think the Pies looked better on the night regardless of how the whistle went, and I expect that they will be one of the benchmarks for the rest of the season. Congrats to them on getting the (somewhat tainted) points tonight, and I also look forward to a big finals clash as well. Hopefully we'll see a Blues vs. Pies grand final where we bring home #17. :D

This is going to sound harsh. It is not reactionary either in terms of not basing this solely on tonights game.

I do not want to see Hampson in this team again.

-Has no footy smarts whatsoever.
-Doesn't know where to position himself in marking contests rendering his massive height advantage futile.
-He cannot time his jumps.
-His hands are like concrete, no soft touch whatsoever when his hands hit the ball - even when he does take the mark, how often are they two grab marks?
-He is redundant once the ball hits the deck. Is $hit below his knees.
-He handballs to players feet who stand 2m away from him.
-He misses set shots from 20m straight in front - HAS DONE EXACTLY THIS IN ALL 3 GAMES THIS YEAR.
-No intensity in his game whatsoever.
-Is nowhere near physical enough for his size.

Couldn't give a rats a$$ if he can run a 20 metre sprint in sub 3 seconds or how high his vertical leap is.

This is Australian Rules Football FFS, not Athletics.
He should have stuck to soccer.

And to think Port Adelaide offered us a first rounder a couple of years back for him.

Matty Kreuzer can't come back quickly enough. Until he does, play Irish instead if he's fit. At least you know Irish will give you his all and show some passion however rough he is around the edges (and I'm by no means an Irish fan).

Harsh but true. Red card me if you wish.

Saw some very good signs tonight. Yeah it looks like a comfortable loss but the stats sheet says we competed, and really the difference was a little more system and a little more polish in a handful of plays. In the general run of play, we definitely pressured the Pies and gave as good as we got. That is progress for us.

Henderson, Kreuzer and Bower to come back in for Thornton, Hampson and I'm not quite sure who else, and there is more system for us to work with.

We had a few players down tonight who would normally perform well, but still didn't get blown off the park.

Lots of improvement left in this side, but we are finally seeing the right mindset and appropriate amounts of effort.

Some will think it is all about the four points though, and not the experience. We measured ourselves against the premiers with a side that is not yet settled, and were not found wanting in the heat of battle. I'll take that. Looking forward to each week now, and especially the rematch.

Ahhh, I see. In most cases, you're right that the umps calls usually don't decide a game. The point that I and others have been trying to make here though is that in this game, the calls DID decide (or come very close to deciding) the end result.

Anyway, I think the Pies looked better on the night regardless of how the whistle went, and I expect that they will be one of the benchmarks for the rest of the season. Congrats to them on getting the (somewhat tainted) points tonight, and I also look forward to a big finals clash as well. Hopefully we'll see a Blues vs. Pies grand final where we bring home #17. :D

Haha! The one thing that constantly does irritate me is that the Blues have won 7 more games between the clubs over 120 years of footy. That has bothered me for a decade. After 2011 I reckon we'll be square on 16 flags each though. :thumbsu:

Is it too early to discuss next week? Have spent a 40 minute tramride full of bogans...

Whatever Hampson's abilities as a ruckman, he's cringeworthy around the ground. This attempt to turn him into a full forward will never work. Levi must play - a noted goalkicker who can pinch hit in the ruck is more valueable to our structure than a 'project player' who's in his fifth season.

We need an extra tall to help out Jamison and Watson. Whichever of Austin, Bower or Henderson is ripest gets the gig ahead of Thornton. A bag of goals against GC isn't enough to save his career.

Lucas and Armfield belong in our best 22. Run and carry off the half back line - we can't afford to play Laidler and Duigan in the same team.

Your point about the backline is interesting. I tend to agree that we are going to need another tall down there. I think most people's long-term dream here is for Jamison to stay at FB, Watson to become a quality CHB and Bower to play as the third tall where he can also use his athleticism to spoil contests and move the ball upfield. If that is going to happen though, it means that Watson is going to have to go through the growing pains that all new players suffer, and in my opinion, it is better to leave him in the team and let him learn as much as possible now so that he develops as quickly as possible. He didn't look terrible tonight when a lot of us were worried that he would, so I see no reason to drop him. Obviously we will probably drop a tall defender when Bower comes back, but I hope that it's Thornton rather than Watson. I'd really like to see a big man combination of Jamison, Watson and Bower with Russell and some combination of guys like Duigan, Laidler, Yarran, Armfield, etc. filling in the gaps.

As for Hampson, I also agree there. I don't want to hate on one of my own teams players, but I want to close my eyes every time he goes for a mark in the forward line. Not to be too harsh on the bloke, but he couldn't catch a beachball. Add to that the fact that his kicking is nothing to write home about either, and I really don't see the "Hampson as a key forward" project working out well for us. People will probably say that it's a bit of a reach to turn to Levi at this point, but I would rather see Levi (and Mitchell when he's healthy) get the job as the supporting tall forward with Waite and Henderson.

Haha! The one thing that constantly does irritate me is that the Blues have won 7 more games between the clubs over 120 years of footy. That has bothered me for a decade. After 2011 I reckon we'll be square on 16 flags each though. :thumbsu:

If we were still the team that played last season, I would say that you guys would catch up those 7 extra wins pretty quickly. However, given what we saw tonight and the fact that we weren't even at full-strength, and I think the upcoming games between these two teams will be a lot closer. I know it sounds stupid to say this after you just beat us, but you guys are going to have to step it up as well if you want to make up those 7 wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

GAME THREAD - Us v Them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back