Game thread - WCE v NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but are best 22 atm is equivelent to what Freo fielded yesterday in age and experience.

The funny thing is, this weekend our team is still considerably younger then Fremantle's team.

WC: about 22y 3.5 months
Freo: about 22y 11.8 months

This round is the first round where Freo had even come close to fielding what WC has been fielding all year. They got flogged by a 100 points.

They rely on a lot of older players.

It's not all bad. We could have lost while playing our older players. At least we're blooding the kids and giving them experience.

Shuey and Stevens look good. Well Shuey looks better than good. Jones and Smith have some potential but we really need to work out where to play these guys.

I like Smith but I don't think he should be playing as a small defender. He's clearly an outside type. I think he should be tried on the wing/HFF.

McGinnity is Fail. Him and Ebert are good tacklers, that's about it.
I've liked Ebert a lot over the 3 years but really he offers nothing as an inside mid.
Too slow to react and run, and his kicking isn't flash.

Stevens > Ebert
S Selwood > McGinnity
Shuey > Everyone

Only watched bits of the last qtr, how did young Jordan Jones go in his 1st game saw on the stats sheet he had 13 touches and 5 marks, how did you guys rate his game???

Lol at people bagging E Mac, proved you idiots wrong.
Didn't see the game but from memory, he cannot kick a habbit. The rest of his game is great, 1%ers blah blah, but just cannot kick at all.
E Mac has a real future for the club. I can't see why people were bagging him. We are in development guys, players are going to have the bad game or two but E Mac has a future at our club.
Cannot Kick for his life.
Yes, stupid Worsfold. Wilson has contributed more in two games than Lynch did in twenty. Not biting the bullet and persisting with his "mates" is one of Worfold's biggest problems.
Was Lynch shit again against the Roos? If so, meh! Same ol' same.
Ebert cant kick. Can do everything else, but cant kick.
Shame, I really really had high hopes for Ebo. I love him. Was glad we took him over danger. So sad. I hope he turns it around. Tough, chirpy and loves the contest but, alas, shit disposal. Fits right in at WC.
Maybe we can now employ a skills coach that can teach kicking.
E-mac would love this.:cool:

EMac's kicking was actually fine today. Our kicking per se wasn't the problem, it's just errors like fumbled balls and marks under pressure and then poor decision making going inside 50 (i.e. bombing it to a 2 on 1) time and time again.

Poor fitness, making mistakes under pressure, lack of line-breaking pace. These are the problems. I think they can all be fixed in time.

Also, there seems to be some real confusion bringing the ball out of defense at kick-ins. It seems like there's a zone set up of sorts but then people don't know if they should be moving around to present or staying still to protect space...it seems to frustrate the guys kicking in and the blokes who are being kicked to.

It really looks like a plan that hasn't been sussed out yet.

MacKenzie is actually a pretty good kick IMO. It's only when he tries to be too cute or chip the ball where he comes unstuck.

You don't have to be a great kick to be a great FB, ask Darren Glass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shuey: hoped he would be more damaging after last week's effort.

ash smith: looks like a rock star but plays worse than one. dunno what his role should be. not in our top 22, i would hope.

ebert ebert ebert. i want to like him for his hard work but everytime you notice him it's because he's fkd up.

hams made a nice impact and then was invisible. him and strijk must be in our forward line going forward i think.

embley: nice to see him wind back the clock and slot that goal on the run in the last quarter. made me remember what we were waiting for the past couple of seasons. unfortunately most of his contributions are less positive than that these days.

scooter. i love the way he plays his footy.

schofield played another useful game and isn't well suited to playing one-out with bigger guys. then again, who is? love the way he goes about it most of the time. put him next to glass next year and let him learn some more.

i thought mackenzie and spangher both went alright & had their moments. spangher looked more timid than usual. maybe he senses he's on show for the trade season. i've always thought he could offer at least as much as emac but i won't be too sad if he goes.

wilson was great even if our forward set-up was complete shambles for most of the day. if mckinley is not the answer way down forward i would like to see him given a chance. and why didn't we see it earlier this season when we were already on the skids and he was kicking bags in the wafl?!

Thought in the last few weeks Mckenzie has improved out of sight.He actually is getting proactive instead of reactive.Love Spangers maximum efforts but our backline coach needs a good kick in the goolies.How many easy goals do we regularly give up from desperate spoils within 20mts of goal.Surely key defensive players are taught that its not just the spoil but where you direct it?Whats the point of a second defender coming over the top when all hes doing is knocking it to the front of the pack where their 4th player is for an easy goal.When in doubt knock it [a] for a point or out.Schofield is great running forward but needs to be harder at the body.He seems to rely on his pace more than his size.Jordan Jones? Quite cool,kicked reasonably well under pressure and hard at it.To early to say but definitely looked good and worth another go.Ashley Smith is going to be a very good player for us dont doubt that.I would like to see him back himself pace wise but that will come.Shuey? when he was on we look a much;and i mean much;better side.Thought Maston was our biggest letdown.Ebert is the new Stenglein.Mcginnity is a real goer but is really weak overhead.Dropped a couple of sitters which brought back memories of being comfortably out positioned by Ballintyne in the derby.

Thought in the last few weeks Mckenzie has improved out of sight.He actually is getting proactive instead of reactive.Love Spangers maximum efforts but our backline coach needs a good kick in the goolies.How many easy goals do we regularly give up from desperate spoils within 20mts of goal.Surely key defensive players are taught that its not just the spoil but where you direct it?Whats the point of a second defender coming over the top when all hes doing is knocking it to the front of the pack where their 4th player is for an easy goal.When in doubt knock it [a] for a point or out.Schofield is great running forward but needs to be harder at the body.He seems to rely on his pace more than his size.Jordan Jones? Quite cool,kicked reasonably well under pressure and hard at it.To early to say but definitely looked good and worth another go.Ashley Smith is going to be a very good player for us dont doubt that.I would like to see him back himself pace wise but that will come.Shuey? when he was on we look a much;and i mean much;better side.Thought Maston was our biggest letdown.Ebert is the new Stenglein.Mcginnity is a real goer but is really weak overhead.Dropped a couple of sitters which brought back memories of being comfortably out positioned by Ballintyne in the derby.

Format your posts mate - way too hard to read

I don't think we should of played the last half with so many numbers running forward with our skills, we turned it over too easily and they rebounded into their empty forward line and run onto it.

Getting hammered time and time again on the turn over and having no back up is depressing, I started to think by the middle of the 4th that we were tanking it....hope not.

Was Lynch shit again against the Roos? If so, meh! Same ol' same.
d.
Lynch didn't play :confused:

Shame, I really really had high hopes for Ebo. I love him. Was glad we took him over danger. So sad.
We didn't take Ebert over Dangerfield, Dangerfield was gone by the time it got to Ebert's pick. Yet you say you were glad we took him over Danger??

You have to factor in how young our squad is though. Freo got belted by North a few weeks ago with a more experienced team than what we had. We only lost by a couple of goals. The signs have been a lot better over the last few weeks.

Except we beat them by about 10 goals at Subiaco, which is a little more relevant wouldn't you say?

Definitely have to persist with Wilson though, would love him at the Dockers.

OK iv said this all year and the 2nd to last game of the year it gets pointed out why do west coast have 2 or 3 players trying to tackle one guy and leave there other men free. Iv said all a long that they just don't have the confidence in one another. It has hurt us all year because it turns into a turn over and if woosh was any sort of a coach he would of tried to fix it way before now. I think it just ses alot about the team and coach

Thought Shuey was a bit average with the footy today TBH. I'm sure he'll be fine though.

I thought he was pretty good.

Didn't you notice how his passes by foot actually went further than the defenders expected .... ala over their heads and to the advantage of our forwards.:eek:

What about that pass under pressure in the last I think it was. Shuey was semi tackled and pushed left foot banana on the outside of his foot about 40m inside 50 right onto the tit of Wilson I think it was.

Actually had the composure to look up and still kick it to our advantage.

Did a couple of good runs through half back and hit targets.

Seriously need to re-sign this guy.

I only watched the first half of the game, but Shuey always seemed to have space.

Even in the second quarter when he was running through the middle, he kept brushing the would be tacklers off and side stepping them to give himself time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game thread - WCE v NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back