HB: Suckling Gibson Birchall
C: Savage Mitchell Bateman
HF: Whitecross Hodge Shiels
F: Osborne Franklin Rioli
FOLL: Roughead Burgoyne Sewell
I/C: Breust Bailey Lewis Schoenmakers
EMERG: Lisle Ladson Young
IN: Bailey Rioli Schoenmakers
OUT: Hale (knee) Gilham (knee) Smith (soreness)

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-preview/sydney-v-hawthorn-20110518-1es54.html#ixzz1N09ioBri

Jeanne+Pratt+Geoffrey+Edelsten+American+Australian+flNlGbidniOl.jpg

I hate playing the Swannies. Especially up there. It never seems to end well. And as if the freaky doctor is pulling his freaky strings and making freaky things happen, freaky things do happen. Remember Mitch Thorpe playing in the ruck? That horrendous game last year when it looked like we'd been pumped full of Ketamine? And, well, having to see the good doctor and his latest creation flopping around Melbourne is freaky enough.

For the love of Melbourne and for the sake of our collective sanity, the Hawks simply must win this game. A top four spot beckons if we do. And if we lose, a metaphorical prostate examination from the doctor is booked in. By the way, I challenge anyone not to gaze on the above picture and not be convinced of the authenticity of the Roswell theories.

Onto the preview thanks to Spikers.

This is not so much a review but a personal view of the upcoming game.

As a Hawks supporter,living in Sydney I prayed to the Footie Gods, when the fixture was released, please do NOT have Hawthorn play in Sydney! As much as I love the chance of watching the Hawks play, without having to travel to Melbourne, the pain of their last four encounters burns too deep for me to want to go through it again.

[FONT=&quot]Here is a brief recap:[/FONT]
· 2005, Rnd 1 – Clarko’s first game as coach – smashed by 63 points
· 2007, Rnd 22 – a win gives us a top four position – smashed by 72 points
· 2009, Rnd 2 – reigning premiers – beaten convincingly by 38 points
· 2010, Rnd 19 – the winner will probably get a home final – smashed by 44 points.

However, the great thing about football is that redemption is always just around the corner and as a fan, each year the rose-tinted glasses go back on and the heart always rules over the head – so I will be there on Sunday ever optimistic.

The Hawks go into this round off an amazing, adrenaline pumping win over St Kilda. However, the win has come at a massive cost, with the injuries to Gilham and Hale. The Gilham loss, to me, is critical. The key to a successful ‘back 6’ is continuity – and the loss of Stratton and Gilham and the pre-season injury to Murphy means that we can expect our backline to be under the pump for the next month or so, even more so than normal. Gilham’s leadership, as our most senior backman, will also be greatly missed. However, what a wonderful opportunity this now provides to another young Hawk – probably either Shoey or Lisle – but, as fans, can we please allow the new player time to fit into the team and game-plan, in what is one of the hardest positions on the field.

In our win over the Saints, everyone has raved about the performances of the kids (and rightly so), however, for me it was the efforts of our established players that gave me great heart. Mitchell, Sewell, Franklin and Gibson have been our most consistent performers this year and again were great on the weekend. But it was the contributions from Hodge, Lewis, Roughead, Guerra and Birchall that made me the most happy. If these players can produce the same effort this week and if Rioli is back in the team and if Burgoyne can increase his contribution, then maybe, just maybe, we can overcome our player loss and the huge advantage that Sydney have in both ‘The Big Mummy’ and the small ground.

Needless to say with Sydney currently in 6th position and Hawks in 5th a win will go a long way to challenging for a top four position.

So, come 5:00pm on Sunday, as the sun starts to set on a beautiful sunny, Sydney day, will I be sitting in the stands with my head in my hands, or standing proudly singing our theme song?

Dear Footie Gods – you didn’t answer my prayers about the fixture, please listen to me about a win.
Hawks by 10 points.

About to leave to go to the airport soon.

Well it's all set up for us if we win, we will be in 3rd position with both Carlton and Essendon losing, but a win is a must and i'm hopefull the cream will rise to the top.

Go Hawkers.

So who will be in Bay 1?

Same area I was in last year. Cold wind blew straight into the face.

Would really prefer sitting on the wings rather than just to the left of the point post. Difficult to see the other end of the ground. The club should really get better seats.

How is it possible that this is a delayed telecast ?

Fox are showing 2 games live today and we have an hour delay on Channel 7.

Crap

Beautiful day up here so far. Im tossing up whether to throw in a poncho or something.

Best wishes for Max.

Really hope to keep an eye on Schoey. I rate the guy, and thought he was one of our better players in the 2009 match up here. Expect him to help out in the ruck a litte, and hopefully ride Goodes into the turf at some stage. Go hard fella, this is your time, and don't we need you.

Looking forward to seeing all the other new fellas as well.

Buddy and Cyril in the flesh. A revitalised running Bateman. An inspired Captain Burgoyn. A recover? (ed or ing) Hodge. A hungry Lewis.

And Sammy. He wiped the floor with Sydney in 2003. Was crook in 09 and despite soldiering on, was towelled. Im predicting a return to the former today. Hope he plays anywhere near this years form.

We have a load of fast young talent at the moment and combined with the the smaller ground, I expect us to run over them. Things never go to plan though so who knows.

No Jack is a real bonus.

My real fear, is that Sydney takes note of our younger crop coming through, and they poach them at the end of the year. Offering bigger money, or paltry trade picks.

Go hard Hawks, 3rd spot beckons.

Does anybody know what the interesting news Robbo is going to announce about Hawthorn on Game Day is?

Well it turned out to be not very interesting didn't it?
For those that didn't hear, The Hawthorn staff have taken the players mobile phones from them for this weeks game so they only think of footy.

what do people think of this? be a bit annoying for players with kids

anywho i'm tired of seeing us get smashed in Sydney, hope the boys get up today!

Well it turned out to be not very interesting didn't it?
For those that didn't hear, The Hawthorn staff have taken the players mobile phones from them for this weeks game so they only think of footy.

what do people think of this? be a bit annoying for players with kids

anywho i'm tired of seeing us get smashed in Sydney, hope the boys get up today!

Was a bit of a non event by Robbo. For those players with kids and the like, I'm sure family have been told of how to get in touch with them if there is an emergency or for an urgent matter. I don't mind the move, happy to try anything to get a win up there.

Will be at the game this afternoon and was at our last win against the Swans at the SCG in 2003!* So if history is anything to go by we should win this and i should have a hangover tomorrow! :p:thumbsu:

*(Games between 2004 and 2010 have been wiped from my memory and never really happened)

GO HAWKS!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The configuration of the SCG will not allow us to spread and run like we did last week. We need to win the clearances and the contested ball if we are to win.
Exactly - Bailey to take the center bounces, Roughead the rest. His clearance work in the last two weeks was the reason we have won. In the long Clarko inteview with Lethal, Clarko talks about how well Roughead uses his body in congestion (as a result of the basketball background)

Not confident, but that is more a reflection of our recent history at Sydney than a feeling based on the facts.

Am hoping for Lewis to get up for a big one today - love Lewis & the clever things he can do. As others have already said, Jnr Burger could really lift our chances today if he has a 'blinder' or snags a few if playing as a forward.

ROK has been close to BoG for Sydney the last couple of weeks & has torched us in the past - not sure whether we play Hodge on him again or maybe try someone like Changa who will run off him at every opportunity.

One thing we won't get away with this week is poor kicking on goal. At 3/4 time against Port were 10.11; & 3/4 last week we were 8.13. I have confidence we CAN beat Sydney, but they will never give the game up & as such we have to take our chances - that is where I lose a bit of confidence as we seem content to strangle teams rather than bury them these days.

Go Hawks!!

Come on hawkers, we have killed the interstate hoodoo, now lets put to bed the sydney hoodoos! The game last week was awesome, with two players down! Lets take third position on the ladder, its up for grabs! I am pumped for this game, if only it was live on free to air, now the horrible decision that plagues us non pay tv fans, whether to listen to the first half live on radio, or dont listen to radio and watch it all delayed, or a mixture of both. Seems some bast&*d has to call up and congratulate or comiserate when its delayed on tellie and ruin it so I would have to also have a "dont aswer the phone" policy if I watch the delayed game. Why dont we have it live down here on free to air? Sucks big time. By the time its finished today it will be 6pm!

Carn the hawkers...................

Will be at the game this afternoon and was at our last win against the Swans at the SCG in 2003!* So if history is anything to go by we should win this and i should have a hangover tomorrow! :p:thumbsu:

*(Games between 2004 and 2010 have been wiped from my memory and never really happened)

GO HAWKS!!!

Well I hope you get smashed and we win then, seems its meant that way! If we play like we did for 3 quarters last week and kick more accuarately it will be a win for us.

How is it possible that this is a delayed telecast ?

Fox are showing 2 games live today and we have an hour delay on Channel 7.

Crap

It's baffling.

Damn, V8 failcars! Delayed telecast here in Tassie as well. Bloody hell, the sooner every match is live of Fox the better. The infuriating thing about this is that 7 won't show it live, but they keep others who would from showing it at all!

Stuff 'em, I'll listen on the radio live and record the match, then watch it if we win without ads. Or do I excercise willpower and pretend the delayed coverage is live?

The configuration of the SCG will not allow us to spread and run like we did last week. We need to win the clearances and the contested ball if we are to win.

We've been pretty good so far at winning centre bounces and our clearances appear to be better this year than the last couple.
I think it's been the way the ball has come from the clearances into the forward line that has been the problem. A lot of up and under

Roughie's basketball background is what makes him look like a natural in the ruck, though I still remember him a couple of years ago trying to mark the ball jumping off both feet ala basketballers jumping for rebounds. :)

Fingers crossed the Bailey and Roughie combo decimates the big Mummy and gives us the credence to say to the rest of the AFL: What ruck problem?? Will go a biiiggggg way to seeing us be competitive on the SCG postage stamp this arvo. I have a good feeling about big Max today.

Bruest needs to start on the ground. The more forward options we have, the bigger the headaches the Sydney backline will have.

Finally, if we can get an inspirational lift from our on-field 'captain' today (and Silk can live up to his nickname), then maybe... just maybe...

We'll know in the first five minutes whether we're switched on or whether we've turned up looking disinterested. Remember last year's Carlton game? That's how I want us to start today. In fact, that's how switched on I want us to start every week.

Hoodoos are nothing more than a state of mind. Let's rip this one to shreds.

tackle intensity and pressure is a must and our skill and execution must be spot on . sydney will try and play their usual ugly game and bottle things up so we have to win the one on ones and clearances . must hit them hard ! hopefully we dont cop anymore injuries . cmon hawkers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back