Gary Ayres award (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To me, this is one of the most prestigious awards in the AFL. Best player of the finals as voted by the coaches. Previous winners include Dustin Martin (3 times), Dangerfield, Sam Walsh, Josh Kennedy (Swans) and Steele Sidebottom.
Who is most likely to elevate their game in September from your club and an opposition team?
I'll kick it off with Jack Scrimshaw and Errol Gulden...

To me, this is one of the most prestigious awards in the AFL. Best player of the finals as voted by the coaches. Previous winners include Dustin Martin (3 times), Dangerfield, Sam Walsh, Josh Kennedy (Swans) and Steele Sidebottom.
Who is most likely to elevate their game in September from your club and an opposition team?

I'm not expecting us to win, but if we get to the grand final, my money would be on Max Holmes as comfortably the most likely Cat to attract votes in 3-4 consecutive games. Miers or Z.Guthrie as smokies.

I think the award in general should be promoted a lot more, it really should be up there with the highest honours in the game. I think the AFL should appoint a panel to retrospectively present the Gary Ayres Award and Norm Smith Medal for past years, going as far back as possible.

It's difficult with the current voting system, which I think is the same as the coaches award. Good in theory, but it does make it ripe for manipulation, not sure if it's the best way to do it.

who can stop Jesse Hogan - if he kicks goals every final & GWS go deep, a real chance

I’ve got 3 clubs as the upper tier in the “more likely to win the flag” and so tend to think the Gary Ayres Medallist will come from there.

Heeney, Blakey, Butters, JHF, Stewart & Jezza the top candidates. If their sides win the flag the respective duo will have played to their best.

I’ve got 3 clubs as the upper tier in the “more likely to win the flag” and so tend to think the Gary Ayres Medallist will come from there.

Heeney, Blakey, Butters, JHF, Stewart & Jezza the top candidates. If their sides win the flag the respective duo will have played to their best.
Winner has to play 3 games minimum and ideally play well in the GF

Warner, Butters, Holmes and Greene for the top 4 sides.

Neale, Newcombe, Bontempelli and Cripps will very likely be leading the way if any of their sides manage to go deep.

Most prestigious award in the AFL tied with the Norm Smith. This is where the real season starts.

My money is on Heeney taking the Gary Ayres and the Chad with the Norm Sydney for the flag over Port by 12.

Warner, Butters, Holmes and Greene for the top 4 sides.

Neale, Newcombe, Bontempelli and Cripps will very likely be leading the way if any of their sides manage to go deep.

Holmes a good shout considering Geelong are likely going to have to play 4 finals to win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holmes a good shout considering Geelong are likely going to have to play 4 finals to win the flag.
Much simpler than that mate. Of our players Holmes picked up coaches votes the most times, and by some distance.

It was similar logic for Butters, Cripps and Bontempelli.

McLuggage actually picked up coaches votes one more time than Neale, but Lachie gets the BOGs. A bit of a similar story for Newcombe ahead of Moore, he goes big when he does pick up votes.

Greene is simply an experienced big time player, while Warner was probably my biggest smokey pick above Heeney and Gulden who are more consistent.

Jeremy Cameron is my tip for the Ayres medal.

Do also like Toby Greene. I think he turns it on this year.

Much simpler than that mate. Of our players Holmes picked up coaches votes the most times, and by some distance.

It was similar logic for Butters, Cripps and Bontempelli.

McLuggage actually picked up coaches votes one more time than Neale, but Lachie gets the BOGs. A bit of a similar story for Newcombe ahead of Moore, he goes big when he does pick up votes.

Greene is simply an experienced big time player, while Warner was probably my biggest smokey pick above Heeney and Gulden who are more consistent.

Cripps, Bont can’t win it simply because they won’t be able to play enough finals.

It’s too hard from outside the top 4.

Look Holmes didn’t even make AA so I seriously doubt he’s going to win it, I was just being nice.

Cripps, Bont can’t win it simply because they won’t be able to play enough finals.

Look Holmes didn’t even make AA so I seriously doubt he’s going to win it, I was just being nice.
Walsh says hi. Macrae days hello.

If Geelong play 3 or 4 finals Holmes is our equal highest vote getter and most frequent vote getter. I picked one player from each club.

You really struggle with the most basic logic, to such a degree I am convinced you have to be playing stupid.

Walsh says hi. Macrae days hello.

If Geelong play 3 or 4 finals Holmes is our equal highest vote getter and most frequent vote getter. I picked one player from each club.

You really struggle with the most basic logic, to such a degree I am convinced you have to be playing stupid.

I praise your bloke and you act like this. Wtf is wrong with you. I’m ending it here.

I praise your bloke and you act like this. Wtf is wrong with you. I’m ending it here.
I've never seen someone get upset so easily.

I merely showed you 2 players who have already won the Ayres award from outside the top 4 and logically explained why Holmes could be the highest vote getters from Geelong.

You have serious issues if such basic football discussion stresses you out like this.

Bont has already played in a premiership side that won it from 7th btw.

Actually not the biggest fan of the award as you can win it off your team doing shit in finals by playing extra games where the top teams who get the week off don't get a chance to win votes. I don't see a real fix though.

Sidebottom wins the 2018 award but had 14 disposals after being destroyed by Mark Hutchings of all people in the GF. Just don't think its an accurate representation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ayres award (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back