Gary Ayres award (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually not the biggest fan of the award as you can win it off your team doing shit in finals by playing extra games where the top teams who get the week off don't get a chance to win votes. I don't see a real fix though.

Sidebottom wins the 2018 award but had 14 disposals after being destroyed by Mark Hutchings of all people in the GF. Just don't think its an accurate representation.
How can you claim 'you can win it off your team doing shit in finals'
when literally every winner bar Walsh has come from a grand finalist?

Actually not the biggest fan of the award as you can win it off your team doing shit in finals by playing extra games where the top teams who get the week off don't get a chance to win votes. I don't see a real fix though.
Top teams get to play (at least) 3 games, and the Grand Final has a 50% loading.

Walsh is the only player to win it without playing in the GF.
And he was incredible last year.

Probably the most even year I can remember, I think it is winnable from any position this year.

I think when interstate teams get home finals the path gets hard for non vic teams to make the GF.

To get to the GF odds are you’d have to get through Port and/or Sydney at home. Very tough especially without the double chance.

I think when interstate teams get home finals the path gets hard for non vic teams to make the GF.

To get to the GF odds are you’d have to get through Port and/or Sydney at home. Very tough especially without the double chance.
Since the pre finals bye was introduced we have had Bulldogs 2016, GWS 2019 and Bulldogs 2021 all make it to the GF via interstate knockout finals. So it's unlikely but not ridiculous at all. If teams are good enough they can do it. The 5th-8th teams have all been heavily hyped at stages of this season so if any brought their absolute best football makes it a real possibility. This might be the toughest season on record to avoid straight sets.

Sidebottom wins the 2018 award but had 14 disposals after being destroyed by Mark Hutchings of all people in the GF. Just don't think its an accurate representation.

That's a flawed way of thinking. That's like saying: "you can win a Brownlow medal doing s..t during the Home and Away matches"

We know it won't be Curnow...

Whilst Curnow has only played 3 finals games, he has kicked 3.3, that's not good enough from a power forward such as him.

He needs to do more and he has another opportunity to play better in finals during this series.

I'll go Harris Andrews.

Majority of weeks I’d say 80-90 percent of weeks of finals from 2016 have had at least one interstate games.

Lachie Neale wins it is my tip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps, Bont can’t win it simply because they won’t be able to play enough finals.

It’s too hard from outside the top 4.

Look Holmes didn’t even make AA so I seriously doubt he’s going to win it, I was just being nice.
Was very good tonight and brought the same AA level form he displayed all season. Still has gears to go through.

Holmes a certainty to get the 5 votes.

The 4-3-2-1 will probably be something like:
4 - Mannagh
3 - Miers
2 - Cameron
1 - Dangerfield

Can't really see any Port players getting a vote, but they could throw one at Wines or Burton
Dangerfield was huge too.

I'd likely go:

5. Holmes
4. Mannagh
3. Dangerfield
2. Z.Guthrie
1. Close

Mannagh/Danger interchangeable. Zuthrie/Close interchangeable.

Close was a score involvement machine and his decision making in tight was superb. Missed his shots on goal but was great otherwise. Miers was great too though and did nail.his shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ayres award (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back