Gary Ayres award (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great....gee Another GAJ vs Martin vs Dangerfield debate.

The three or four of you should take it to another thread, seriously.
We're discussing two Ayres medalists legacies in an Ayres Medal thread, because one player in theory could contend for another Ayres medal.

You might not like it, but it is far more relevant and topical football discussion than "you guys are talking about this topic again and I do not like it".

Half a strong season from his last 3 isn't close to what Ablett put together 2011-2014 or Dangerfield 2022-2024. Remember Danger is picking up these votes from 16 games a season, going at 70% time on ground. He shouldn't even be in contention for best players on the ground, let alone most important player for premiership winning/contending teams aged 33-35. It's insane.

Martin's final years had glimpses of brilliance but were just not a quality period for him. He would be the first to acknowledge that.

Dusty AA 2016 - AA squad 2023. 8th all time career Brownlow votes. Rising star nom and 2 x under 22 team.

If that’s not consistent you don’t know what you are talking about.

But anyway you can analyse H&A all you want. I only care about the real stuff. They choked when it mattered too often to count. I actually can’t believe GAJ couldn’t even get a NS even against Port like for real was he daydreaming or something?

Anyway I’m done with this, not the thread for it. We both fell for Fadge’s gaslighting. Mods please move this to the Geelong v Tigers thread.

To me, this is one of the most prestigious awards in the AFL. Best player of the finals as voted by the coaches. Previous winners include Dustin Martin (3 times), Dangerfield, Sam Walsh, Josh Kennedy (Swans) and Steele Sidebottom.
Who is most likely to elevate their game in September from your club and an opposition team?
I'll kick it off with Jack Scrimshaw and Errol Gulden...
I don't see it as a particularly prestigious award. You have to make a grand final to give yourself the best chance to win it. So it's basically the best finals player out if the 2 teams that make the grand final. Norm Smith is the one everyone wants

I don't see it as a particularly prestigious award. You have to make a grand final to give yourself the best chance to win it. So it's basically the best finals player out if the 2 teams that make the grand final. Norm Smith is the one everyone wants
The Premiership Medal is the one everyone wants...

Dusty AA 2016 - AA squad 2023. 8th all time career Brownlow votes. Rising star nom and 2 x under 22 team.

If that’s not consistent you don’t know what you are talking about.

But anyway you can analyse H&A all you want. I only care about the real stuff. They choked when it mattered too often to count. I actually can’t believe GAJ couldn’t even get a NS even against Port like for real was he daydreaming or something?

Anyway I’m done with this, not the thread for it. We both fell for Fadge’s gaslighting. Mods please move this to the Geelong v Tigers thread.

Learn what a choke is ffs.

Not sure it's that clear cut after Newcombe.

Watson and Dear will get their share of votes as well.
Agree though I’d say Newcombe and Meek clear top 2. Sicily to half time but there were a lot of others who may attract votes for the jobs they did - Scrimshaw Macdonald Dear Watson D’Ambrosio Ginnivan Nash Hardwick. Some of those less obvious from stat sheet but their jobs and influence were huge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newcombe 10
Meek 8
Sicily 6

Then whatever.
Duke would've been a dark horse selection before the finals series. I mean people are aware he's a very good player, but he's probably still not as appreciated outside of Hawthorn.

Now Hawthorn are a real chance of 3 or even 4 finals and he has a clear B.O.G. Absolutely dominated the much vaunted Footscray midfield. Given how Port let Holmes and Dangerfield off the chain, it's hard to see them stopping Nukem if he is "on" again.

I think Karl Amon game was a bit under rated, he was very very good.

Heeney should get 20 votes for his game yesterday.

Isaac Heeney - 30 possessions of which 18 of them were contested possessions, 60% disposal efficiency and kicked 3 goals. He was the difference in the end. Score board impact is big in Finals Footy. Should be getting the full votes available for this game.

Sam Walsh back to back.

Duke would've been a dark horse selection before the finals series. I mean people are aware he's a very good player, but he's probably still not as appreciated outside of Hawthorn.

Now Hawthorn are a real chance of 3 or even 4 finals and he has a clear B.O.G. Absolutely dominated the much vaunted Footscray midfield. Given how Port let Holmes and Dangerfield off the chain, it's hard to see them stopping Nukem if he is "on" again.

It’s more that Duke doesn’t need to dominate for Hawthorn to win. It certainly helps, but he’s not a week in week out stats player. That’s what is so good about Hawthorn - they don’t have (nor need) that genuine elite Brownlow/AA mid. I mean, Conor Nash continuously shuts down the best opposition mids impact, and gets no plaudits. He will be top 5 in Hawthorns B&F again and people will not have a clue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Ayres award (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back