Autopsy Gather Round vs Fremantle @ Norwood Oval - 14/04/23 - 5:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The bad news is that is the Battle of the Duds.

The good news is that no-one will be watching. Literally.

I don't mind king to defence. Who knows he grew up as a defender so should come fairly natural and it may just be the kick start to his confidence that he needs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How does everyone see Touk's start to the year?

In the league he is currently
3rd in clearances
5th tackles inside 50
10th tackles
18th Metres gained
19th disposals

Yet somehow it feels like he hasn't been that impactful.
He commented about wanting to kick more goals this year.
unfortunately, hasn't scored at all in the first 4 rounds.

Don't mind him spending a bit of time in our forward line. Pairing him with someone like Sexton at Casboult's feet. You know we would kick goals.
Maybe giving Humphrey / Davies / Hollands a bit more of a chance in the middle.

Blakey a chance to come in? Looking from afar your stoppage work hurt you and Blakey is a clearance player. Could Jed Anderson replace Jeffries?

How does everyone see Touk's start to the year?

In the league he is currently
3rd in clearances
5th tackles inside 50
10th tackles
18th Metres gained
19th disposals

Yet somehow it feels like he hasn't been that impactful.
He commented about wanting to kick more goals this year.
unfortunately, hasn't scored at all in the first 4 rounds.

Don't mind him spending a bit of time in our forward line. Pairing him with someone like Sexton at Casboult's feet. You know we would kick goals.
Maybe giving Humphrey / Davies / Hollands a bit more of a chance in the middle.

I think we need to add another rotation to the midfield, which would mean touk, noah and rowelly spend a bit of time forward or wing. Humphrey and Hollands maybe rosas would be good options as the centre / fwd mid.

. If we drop King watch the media vultures come out next week.
That’s the problem. This will be a case of persisting, hoping he will find form very soon. He might. He might not.

It’s obvious we thought that our talls would beat Saints defenders—they didn’t, as the kicks weren’t to advantage or forwards weren’t leading to advantage.

Casboult, King and Luko are not clicking. They are not spreading and separating. King was barely moving in the second half. He is still hitting the scoreboard each game and getting opportunities, but I don’t think he is playing his role well (or we are not using him well). We are relying too much on Casboult to compete and mark and it is too much, too stagnant and too predictable.

Chol gets raked for a bad game. Our leading goal kicker last year sitting in the twos: Sexton 2.0.
I think we need to add another rotation to the midfield, which would mean touk, noah and rowelly spend a bit of time forward or wing. Humphrey and Hollands maybe rosas would be good options as the centre / fwd mid.
I could see Ainsworth playing there with some burst (he was drafted as a mid). Even Weller or Powell (much bigger this year) to offer some speed out of the clearance. We just don’t seem to burst out of the stoppages, ever.

Even the way our mids sit at stoppages is very reactive. We rely on getting a free for holding (or high), or passing back to bomb it long. No real forward momentum.

Also worried with how swallow fits in the modern game, he definitely has some upside but his kicking hurts us. I like the Powell suggestion, he could be a good defensive player on the opposition best stoppage player but have a good burst and kick out the middle, there was a hint from dew a while back that this was being considered. Would love King to be thrown back to defence, not banishing him as a forward for ever but think it could really help him find form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, we need to play 8 or 9 players through the midfield. Three or four is not enough.
We also need to play players in the positions they are best suited to while finding out each player's best position.
This can lead to playing games with players out of position. We have miss fired over the journey playing players out of position. This balancing act looks like a challenge for our coaches. Let's hope they can work it out.

Yes, we need to play 8 or 9 players through the midfield. Three or four is not enough.
We also need to play players in the positions they are best suited to while finding out each player's best position.
This can lead to playing games with players out of position. We have miss fired over the journey playing players out of position. This balancing act looks like a challenge for our coaches. Let's hope they can work it out.

we are real lucky that freo are in the same mess, they only play brayshaw serong, o'meara and aish in there. Brodie should come back in and Johnson needs more minutes.

Their forward line sucks and their backline are statues coming out of defence, no run off half back and they just let ryan or cox kick it long down the line.

They tried to play thru the corridor in the last against adelaide but let the worst kickers take the 45 on, Alex Pearce burnt Ryan who kicked the sloppiest kick into the centre circle and it was the easiest of turnovers.

Hopefully its raining when we play, it won't be a pretty win but we need to get any win at the moment.

Find a way to win and 2-3 won't look so bad in term of W/L
That's the main takeaway for this game. Just need to find a way to win, even if it's ugly.

We need to be beating these out of form bottom 10 teams and continue to work on other issues that are holding us back from competing with top 8 teams. Sydney/St Kilda look finals bound this year and both may even end up in the top 4 so I can live with those losses (even though they were hard to watch). Essendon should have been a win but we turned off in the fourth quarter which was frustrating.

Geelong, Fremantle and North are games we really should be winning. I know some will disagree with me right now but 3-3 after round 6 is realistic considering we play Freo on a neutral ground and North at Heritage. The Dockers look slow and remind me of Geelong last week, meanwhile North have come crashing back to earth after starting the season reasonably well and are probably going receive a hefty loss this weekend at the hands of the Lions so we'll likely face them while confidence is low.

Have to agree with finding a way to win and it doesn't matter how.

One of the biggest problems is we're the worst of the out of form teams at the moment.
17th at the end of the round by the looks. I don't think any of us would've predicted that.

I realistically can't see us beating any of the other teams except maybe the Hawks at this point in time and they've cut themselves to the bone.
Something has gone seriously wrong at the club over the off season because they aren't playing like the end of last season.
The coaching staff aren't throwing the magnets around when things go wrong and don't have an answer during the game or at training.

I sincerely hope that 3-3 happens but we'll be 3-5 with the next two. We're not beating Richmond or Melbourne the way we're playing.

Have to agree with finding a way to win and it doesn't matter how.

One of the biggest problems is we're the worst of the out of form teams at the moment.
17th at the end of the round by the looks. I don't think any of us would've predicted that.

I realistically can't see us beating any of the other teams except maybe the Hawks at this point in time and they've cut themselves to the bone.
Something has gone seriously wrong at the club over the off season because they aren't playing like the end of last season.
The coaching staff aren't throwing the magnets around when things go wrong and don't have an answer during the game or at training.

I sincerely hope that 3-3 happens but we'll be 3-5 with the next two. We're not beating Richmond or Melbourne the way we're playing.
Richmond have a few key injuries. But yeah, we have a lot of form to find.

It’s a big dream at the moment.

I give us a chance against Richmond. They also seem to be struggling and we've beaten them at Marvel before where they seem to hate playing, not to mention the dramatic win we had over them last time we played. Despite Richmond's league dominance over the last 5-6 years, we actually have a pretty good all-time record against them with 5 wins and 7 losses. If we go in with two recent wins over Fremantle/North and they go in with two recent losses against Sydney/Melbourne then I think we're a huge chance to beat the Tiges at Marvel. Plus, Tom Lynch has a long term injury.

As for the Fremantle game, I just found out that Norwood Oval is a smaller ground and I think favours us considering the way we typically play at the smaller SCG ground. There's a possibility of rain as well and we know the way we were able to dominate the Dockers in the rain last year so I think that favour us too. I like our chances against the struggling Dockers.

Last edited:
Apart from the Sydney game, the Suns have had had a couple of bad quarters that have been the difference against both Ess and the Saints.

You guys have to really dig in here because this is a highly winnable game.

Freo have been diabolical

Bring genuine intensity for four quarters and put pace on the game and they are ripe for the picking

No tabs for freo, he's shit anyways but does provide structure for them.

They'll basically go in with Jackson & Amiss who have played probably a combined 10 games full time key forward.

Brodie has flown over so he'll most likely come in.

Hopefully Ellis is fit to go, he'll solve our width problem, will provide extra leadership. Wouldn't mind seeing Lemmens/Farrar in too.

Narrow ground with rainy conditions, just pick some hardened men, go hard and our bomb it long and lock it in. game plan will work this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Gather Round vs Fremantle @ Norwood Oval - 14/04/23 - 5:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back