Gawn and Grundy - a failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't shock me to see Gawn play until he is 35 (Using this arbitrary age as that's how old Todd Goldstein is). It means they've at least got time on their hands to a degree, the issue I see is I don't know if either can add another string to their respective bows this far into their careers. Crazier things have happened though, Ben McEvoy was very good when he moved back late in his career.

How good was Gawn smashing the s**t out of Geelong in the ‘21 prelim. One of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen in a final. Was bloody amazing.
Unfortunately he went missing in the ‘22 GF though. Geelong negated him well that day.

Will only be a success if they win a real flag at the MCG
We could win three in a row at the G and it wouldn’t be anywhere near as wondrous as flogging the absolute shit out of the Dogs at Optus.

We scored 100 points in a quarter and a half. No other club has rolled over and died like that since South Melbourne existed.

And you’re still salty about it.

Wonderful stuff.

Yes, conclude it a failure 2/3rds of the way through the first of Grundys five years.
Bigfooty reactionism at its finest.
It was widely commented at the time that it was an odd decision for Melbourne to chase Grundy, and have two 'first rucks' who can't really play forward, when the Dees had clear deficiencies in other parts of the ground.

It's not like people have only pulled this out of their arse with hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn is 32 this year and is showing he isn't the player he was a season or two ago.

Grundy is only 29 but doesn't look anything like the Collingwood dominant ruck.

It has made them look less dynamic and threatening.

It was widely commented at the time that it was an odd decision for Melbourne to chase Grundy, and have two 'first rucks' who can't really play forward, when the Dees had clear deficiencies in other parts of the ground.

It's not like people have only pulled this out of their arse with hindsight.
There’s over 4 years of Grundys contract to go.
If they win a flag with him in the side at that time, the decision is vindicated. If not, fair play.

But far too early.

How good was Gawn smashing the s**t out of Geelong in the ‘21 prelim. One of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen in a final. Was bloody amazing.
lol are people not allowed to talk about Melbourne or something? Why are you so angsty?

There's a saying in American Football - if you have two qarterbacks, you don't have one. I wonder if Ruck is the same.
Interesting saying

Gawns output seems down this year. Not sure if that's injury/age related or a consequence of a change to his role with Grundy in the team

It could work but Melbourne don't exactly have agile big men.

May is running in straight lines with the end approaching quickly.
Lever is moving like Harry Taylor did in the final years (broom stick lodged up the backside).
Petty, Brown & McDonald collectively, would be the three least agile talls in the competition.

If you watch this weeks clash between the Dogs v Pies, take a look at their tall timber as an example, all very athletic and very agile so you can afford the luxury of playing two blokes 6ft'9+ on either side.

Melbourne paid a lot of money for someone who is a good backup ruckman.
Clearly, they do not work together that well.

Gawn has sacrificed his game which was always going to happen when they traded in Grundy

At times the duo has worked well but not enough to take full control of games

Grundy needs to play more forward

It could work but Melbourne don't exactly have agile big men.

May is running in straight lines with the end approaching quickly.
Lever is moving like Harry Taylor did in the final years (broom stick lodged up the backside).
Petty, Brown & McDonald collectively, would be the three least agile talls in the competition.

If you watch this weeks clash between the Dogs v Pies, take a look at their tall timber as an example, all very athletic and very agile so you can afford the luxury of playing two blokes 6ft'9+ on either side.

May is running in straight lines with the end approaching quickly. - I agree he doesn't look comfortable changing angles
Lever is moving like Harry Taylor did in the final years (broom stick lodged up the backside). - I agree he just isn't as athletic as he once was
Petty, Brown & McDonald collectively, would be the three least agile talls in the competition. I think that's harsh on Petty. Agree with the other 2

If you watch this weeks clash between the Dogs v Pies, take a look at their tall timber as an example, all very athletic and very agile so you can afford the luxury of playing two blokes 6ft'9+ on either side. - So who are you saying is agile? Moore yes, English maybe. Lobb no, Cox heck no, JUH not really

So far it's gone exactly how all of those who didn't get swept up in the 'Gawndy' preseason hype saw it going. Both are 1st ruck or nothing and their forward line which was their biggest issue last year remains their biggest issue this year.

In saying that there is still time to come good. I think JVR should be playing ahead of Ben Brown though and Fritsch is a huge loss on paper but maybe it'll mean Goody has to try something different. And Joel Smith **** me, he'd be one of the worst players in the league, get rid of him. Petty and JVR should be the two key forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back