Gawn and Grundy - a failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

May is running in straight lines with the end approaching quickly. - I agree he doesn't look comfortable changing angles
Lever is moving like Harry Taylor did in the final years (broom stick lodged up the backside). - I agree he just isn't as athletic as he once was
Petty, Brown & McDonald collectively, would be the three least agile talls in the competition. I think that's harsh on Petty. Agree with the other 2

If you watch this weeks clash between the Dogs v Pies, take a look at their tall timber as an example, all very athletic and very agile so you can afford the luxury of playing two blokes 6ft'9+ on either side. - So who are you saying is agile? Moore yes, English maybe. Lobb no, Cox heck no, JUH not really

English is very agile. He's the same height as Gawn and effectively a 20 disposal per game midfielder in a ruckman's body.
Ugle-Hagan is Lance Franklin with marking ability. One of the most athletic forwards in the game.
Darcy & Naughton and even list cloggers like Keath & Gardner would be classified as agile despite playing shorter than what they're listed (198cm).
Lobb no and Bruce would arguably be the least agile footballer in the game.

Collingwood have a lot of them. One of their great strengths is having talls capable of playing on mid-sized forwards.

lol are people not allowed to talk about Melbourne or something? Why are you so angsty?
Grundawn played less than a dozen full games together, so not much to say yet. I’m doing my best to add to the discussion tho

Thank God someone around here gets it.
The aim is to win flags though, right? At the moment it seems as though they were far better served with a firing Gawn rather than a decent Gawn and a decent Grundy.

Would Gawn or the Dees give a shit if he played for a season or two less if it meant another flag? Not a ****ing chance.

The aim is to win flags though, right?
Pretty sure we won one with 2 rucks not long ago.

At the moment it seems as though they were far better served with a firing Gawn rather than a decent Gawn and a decent Grundy.
Gawn did a PCL this year. Hampered or out of form, it’s obviously better if he’s “firing”. Very astute observation.

Pretty sure we won one with 2 rucks not long ago.

Gawn did a PCL this year. Hampered or out of form, it’s obviously better if he’s “firing”. Very astute observation.
With Jackson, who is a far better 2nd ruck option than Grundy.

He's 'out of form' because he's sharing 1st ruck duties.....with Grundy. They've detracted from eachothers games rather than supplemented. Hope this helps.

English is very agile. He's the same height as Gawn and effectively a 20 disposal per game midfielder in a ruckman's body.
Ugle-Hagan is Lance Franklin with marking ability. One of the most athletic forwards in the game.
Darcy & Naughton and even list cloggers like Keath & Gardner would be classified as agile despite playing shorter than what they're listed (198cm).
Lobb no and Bruce would arguably be the least agile footballer in the game.

Collingwood have a lot of them. One of their great strengths is having talls capable of playing on mid-sized forwards

Difference between agile and getting disposals, Gawn would average the same if he played majority in the Ruck like English

That's a bold statement on JUH, You meaning the vintage Buddy or thos old and slow Buddy LOL

Darcy is a dud, runs around like Bamby on ice and Naughton is pigeon toed with one of the worst set shots at goal in the game
Keath and Gardiner are not Footballers at all, terrible players

You obviously have a hate for Melbourne discrediting any player on the list

The aim is to win flags though, right? At the moment it seems as though they were far better served with a firing Gawn rather than a decent Gawn and a decent Grundy.

Would Gawn or the Dees give a s*t if he played for a season or two less if it meant another flag? Not a ****** chance.
I get that.

ready for the next installment of Lord of the Rings...

wYYTt1w5.jpg

Difference between agile and getting disposals, Gawn would average the same if he played majority in the Ruck like English

That's a bold statement on JUH, You meaning the vintage Buddy or thos old and slow Buddy LOL

Darcy is a dud, runs around like Bamby on ice and Naughton is pigeon toed with one of the worst set shots at goal in the game

Really don't have any feelings toward Melbourne one way or another.
Just expressing my view point.

Not exactly sure what's so ridiculous of a statement implying Tim English is agile.
I would have mentioned van Rooyen and Smith who are both very athletic but they are undersized and more suited as medium-talls like Mihocek, Stringer, Rohan, Owens etc.

Really don't have any feelings toward Melbourne one way or another.
Just expressing my view point.

Not exactly sure what's so ridiculous of a statement implying Tim English is agile.
I would have mentioned van Rooyen and Smith who are both very athletic but they are undersized and more suited as medium-talls like Mihocek, Stringer, Rohan, Owens etc.

What's ridiculous is you thinking that JUH, Naughton etc. are agile. and Petty isn't

Forgetting the Buddy hyperbole, JUH is incredibly fast and explosive. His agility is decent, I wouldn't say its his strength but he'd definitely be rated very highly against blokes his size in that regard.

Darcy certainly isn't agile (weird call to name him a dud when he's one of the most talented players in the league).

Naughton is probably the most agile KPF in the league, seriously not joking when I say that.

Keath and Gardner are not agile in the slightest. Especially Keath, the end is coming quickly for him.

In comparison to Melbourne's KPP's, the question of agility isn't really close.

In regards to the subject of this thread, I agree in that the partnership will prolong Gawn's career. I'm still not convinced it's a fantastic pairing, but considering Collingwood are paying a fair portion of Grundy, you wouldn't be complaining at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what's more ridiculous, one of the most talented lists inherited by Goodwin for only 1 solitary premiership :p
And even funnier, Goodwin will play both rucks until the day he's finally shown the door. That's Gold!

And same could be said about Scott.....................

Firstly, it’s too early.

Secondly, let’s clear up a few of the misconceptions on here:

- since 2018, Melbourne have been keen on two rucks. My theory is because Gawn was smashed by two lesser albeit more physical ruckmen in Lycett and Vardy in the prelim. We traded in Preuss which ended up being a fail, largely because his body does not hold up to the rigours of AFL footy. It was clear that they understood this pretty quickly as Luke Jackson was recruited with the prized pick 3 in the 2019 draft. In Jackson’s second year, we won the flag and the combo was working well. Jackson leaving threw a big spanner in the works. So when Grundy became available it should have come as no surprise to anyone that had been paying attention that Melbourne were interested.

Grundy has been fine. Gawn’s form has been poor. It’s important not to conflate Gawn’s bad form with the acquisition of Grundy. I have no doubt that Gawn’s bad form is to do with the knee injury sustained in Round 2 v Brisbane. Just as happened in 2017 and 2022, when coming back from significant leg injuries, Gawn is not covering the ground nearly as well and he is not holding many of the marks that he usually would. At least having Grundy in the side takes some of the heat off of him and allows him to creep softly without the pressure of having to shoulder the ruck load alone. So in that sense, getting Grundy in, has been a good move.

Finally, I reckon the vision behind getting Grundy in, is to augment Gawn’s play. Gawn can take marks at either end and is quite good in traffic for a big man. He’s essentially the queen on the chessboard for the Dees; our greatest strength and the quickest way to plotting our downfall if you can get on top of him. The idea behind getting Grundy should be to maximise Gawn’s strengths and support him through tougher patches. In Round 1, against the Dogs, Gawn was virtually bog and I think that was a glimpse into what the coaches wanted the combo to look like. Gawn doing damage at either end of the ground and Grundy doing a lot of grunt work to wear down the opposition.

I understand the scepticism and think there is a chance that it doesn’t work out (see Preuss). However, I’d say there hasn’t really enough time or a clean run at it to actually see this combo in action.

99% of pies supporters aren't surprised.

I think it just shows the modern can't have two lumbering ruckmen in a game. Your ruckman need to be very agile or they'll be a liability on the spread.

I've seen it at Hawthorn first hand, and we looked better when we play just one. Carlton the last few weeks have looked so much better without a legitimate ruckman.

Shows how good the dees are going to drop the second best ruckman in the game behind Gawn while the pies have Darcy Cameron and Goggles trying to do a job. It’s all apart of the story, Brodie.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn and Grundy - a failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back