GDFL 2009 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may haev already been posted but I have been advised that Belmont have picked up the services of the Marcus and Luke Forbes and Doc O'Connor. Good recruits if true.

dunno bout this. doc quit because he had hurt his collarbone pretty badly and never fully recovered. havnt heard anything of the forbes brothers though

Wallace, Gardiner, Maheras, Harriott, Hyland, Menzies, Gerkovich, Denenman all 30+. Vardy, Costello, Lennon, Anderton close to 30. Costello and Lennon could be 30 now.

there old yes, but they are a quality bunch of players. they would be in thomsons best 10 players some of them blokes. there very experienced at godfrey st reserve, and should do the double and go back to back

Speaking of the "great man", I have heard a few rumblings over the preseason. It was alleged he was seen at Ammos training one evening, and then come round 1, I don't think he suited up.

Should we read anything into this Spider?[/quote]

Read into it what you will. I have a lot of respect for Haami. From what I know, he took a session at Ammos, but what does that matter? As for round 1, he was working. Turned up at the club Sat night for a coke with the boys. Personally I've been around footy long enough not to listen to preseason gossip. Could be a motto to live by, hey!

dunno bout this. doc quit because he had hurt his collarbone pretty badly and never fully recovered. havnt heard anything of the forbes brothers though

Why the hell are you calling yourself gdfl"dynasty". Get up with the program. Marcus Forbes is playing at Belmont and his brother is still at St. Joeys. Read before you post

Blake Hutch' has trained the house down all preseason, was best on in round 1 for North at senior level, and cannot find a spot in the Falcons line-up. Am I missing something here?

Please tell me you are not one of the Nth people that I have been reading on big cricket. The last thing we need on this site is the love in like they have going between Nth and Sth Barwon on that site

Please tell me you are not one of the Nth people that I have been reading on big cricket. The last thing we need on this site is the love in like they have going between Nth and Sth Barwon on that site

Spider, at least big cricket have people actually posting on there constantly though. I do agree there is some dribble but I do enjoy reading it during the summer.

However we do need a greater mix of clubs on their posting (maybe you could post on there I enjoy reading your stuff on here).

Well done to Teesdale c.c on the flag(s) & club championship;) Div2 next year???

Anyway back to the footy.
Whats everyone think about the team names in the paper? should they been fined or cop some punishment from the league regarding dodgy team names? eg. F.Fopiani named to be playing for North Geelong or S.O'Leary named for East when they were never going to play?

Whats everyone think about the team names in the paper? should they been fined or cop some punishment from the league regarding dodgy team names? eg. F.Fopiani named to be playing for North Geelong or S.O'Leary named for East when they were never going to play?

nah, that's part and parcel of the game.. makes things bloody hard for everyone at a game though. round 1 at Corio i think they had 12 people playing against bannockburn who weren't named in the 22 in fridays addy.. Fop may have actually been a chance of playing by the way. he's been training with the boys.. i get the feeling he may have a run around in the very near future.

Blake Hutch' has trained the house down all preseason, was best on in round 1 for North at senior level

yep, Blake is a gem of a footballer and one of the real bright lights for the future of the North Geelong footy club

cannot find a spot in the Falcons line-up. Am I missing something here?

as much as i'd love to see Blake in the Falcon's side I think there are a number of factors preventing him from getting a game..

a) he's a midfielder, the falcons are absolutely bursting at the seams with quality midfielders

b) he's listed at only 171cm's or something like that.. too small to make it at AFL level (remember the TAC Cup is an AFL pathway program, development takes priority over winning)

It's great to see a few young GDFL guns getting into the Falcons squad though:thumbsu:

as for Blake i actually think he's definitely in the best 25 players on that list and will surely get a crack throughout the season (particularly if he keeps the good form up) but as much as i'd love for him to prove me wrong I think Blake will always be a gun country footballer, nothing more, nothing less. and there is no shame in that.. there is no doubt the kid can play.. but so can a couple of hundred kids in the country at his age level..

the main factors that come into it now are physical build (height being the big one, weight can be gained) as well as scope for improvement in all facets of the game.. unfortunately for Blake he isn't the typical build of what recruiters are looking for these days and as I mentioned earlier the TAC cup is about development (winning is just an added bonus).

I don't see much more improvement left in Blake (not saying he won't get better with experience, rather i'm suggesting that he's got to where he has today through natural ability and hard work) he's definitely a natural footballer but these days teams seem to be looking for athletes who have loads of potential/upside.

definitely not writing him off but he'll be hard pressed to get a regular game for the Falcons let alone get drafted. (not that anyone in this thread was suggesting he would)

Why the hell are you calling yourself gdfl"dynasty". Get up with the program. Marcus Forbes is playing at Belmont and his brother is still at St. Joeys. Read before you post

1st of all mate, its just a ****ing name so get over it. and just becausee myname is gdfl dynasty, doesnt mean i have to know everything about every team and league in geelong football. i was simply posting about what i knew, and that was that doc wasnt playing as far as i knew.

Spider, at least big cricket have people actually posting on there constantly though. I do agree there is some dribble but I do enjoy reading it during the summer.

However we do need a greater mix of clubs on their posting (maybe you could post on there I enjoy reading your stuff on here).

Well done to Teesdale c.c on the flag(s) & club championship;) Div2 next year???

I may do that. Good year for the Roos. No chance of going to Divi 2, but I will post all this on bigcricket.
As for sides not naming the correct team, not a lot you can do about it. Has been going on for years and will continue for many more...

Wallace, Gardiner, Maheras, Harriott, Hyland, Menzies, Gerkovich, Denenman all 30+. Vardy, Costello, Lennon, Anderton close to 30. Costello and Lennon could be 30 now.
I don't think the "youth policy" is so important in the GDFL as it is in higher competitions. Even South Barwon showed a few years ago that experience from older players is more important then having a ton of youth.
I know its important to have younger players coming through to maintain the standard of success but Thomson, like other local clubs, ahve improved their junior structure this year and have gone out and recruited younger key players in the off season.
In round one, when Thommy beat Anakie by 10 goals, seven of the 12 players mentioned played with Gardiner and Denenman the only two mentioned in the best players. Other names in the best players were all young guys who are around 20 mark (Curtis, Calder, Benson). I think while the Tigers won't be as dominant as previous seasons, their mixture of youth and experience will put them in good touch for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also, vardy isnt playing anymore, and ando is only 26
Also read last week that A.Koch was named best in the thomson twos. This 21yr old key forward trained a few times at the hawks nest prior to xmas, and looked to have the goods. Would be interested to hear if anyone saw his game last week? and whether he looks like pushing for a ones birth for the grand final re-match this w.e?

Also read last week that A.Koch was named best in the thomson twos. This 21yr old key forward trained a few times at the hawks nest prior to xmas, and looked to have the goods. Would be interested to hear if anyone saw his game last week? and whether he looks like pushing for a ones birth for the grand final re-match this w.e?

Yeh I played against him 2 weeks ago. Massive mits but his kicking was poor. He kicked something like 1 goal 7. Saw him at halftime in the ones, still wearing his footy shorts.... is there something wrong with him?:confused:

Doubt he would get into the ones, the tigers were pretty strong against us. Dunno wether Wallace will play after Berg K.O'd him, might take his place :confused:

Was speaking to a father of one of the Thomson reserves players during the ones, he counted 9 blokes out there below 23 for them, we had 7 also.

16 kids under 23 in one game would have to be some sort of record?

Roos to win by 60+ over Winchelsea this weekend, might even get myself a promotion to the ones :thumbsu: hope you read this Gav ! :thumbsu:

yep, Blake is a gem of a footballer and one of the real bright lights for the future of the North Geelong footy club

as much as i'd love to see Blake in the Falcon's side I think there are a number of factors preventing him from getting a game..

a) he's a midfielder, the falcons are absolutely bursting at the seams with quality midfielders

b) he's listed at only 171cm's or something like that.. too small to make it at AFL level (remember the TAC Cup is an AFL pathway program, development takes priority over winning)

It's great to see a few young GDFL guns getting into the Falcons squad though:thumbsu:

Afraid i have to disagree with ya there bourky. The falcons have shown time and time again that winning is more important then developing players. They have the opportunity to play 50 of the best kids in the area through out the year and if there winning the only change to the team is if injury occurs. Mick Turner picks his favorites and makes sure they are looked after and well lets not forget buddah went there in hope of getting an AFL coaching role in the future. But i do agree hutchy and armistead from north are gun players

corio brainstrust spotted at the snake pit keeping a close eye on a ex-nth geelong and leagu b&f could be a move of club 4 the gun player

Lol.. Why didn't you just say Hardman?
keep dreaming corio ur days of winning are gone;just like potters days of playing 4 u gone. no respect 4 ur players its all about o;toole and we no it was potters b&f last year not o;tooles. no wonder potters gone big loss huge

as for Blake i actually think he's definitely in the best 25 players on that list and will surely get a crack throughout the season (particularly if he keeps the good form up) but as much as i'd love for him to prove me wrong I think Blake will always be a gun country footballer, nothing more, nothing less. and there is no shame in that.. there is no doubt the kid can play.. but so can a couple of hundred kids in the country at his age level..

the main factors that come into it now are physical build (height being the big one, weight can be gained) as well as scope for improvement in all facets of the game.. unfortunately for Blake he isn't the typical build of what recruiters are looking for these days and as I mentioned earlier the TAC cup is about development (winning is just an added bonus).

I don't see much more improvement left in Blake (not saying he won't get better with experience, rather i'm suggesting that he's got to where he has today through natural ability and hard work) he's definitely a natural footballer but these days teams seem to be looking for athletes who have loads of potential/upside.

definitely not writing him off but he'll be hard pressed to get a regular game for the Falcons let alone get drafted. (not that anyone in this thread was suggesting he would)

il have to disagree with some of the comments mate.
you sound like you think you are an AFL coach or selector or something.
i gather not, so you shouldnt make comments stating that this blake kid wont improve and wont get drafted. have you even seen him play? you may be right in saying he may be 17cm but making statemnts that he wont get drafted due to this is stupid.
you forgotten players like aaron & alwyin davey? david wirrapanda, matty stokes, shannon byrnes, cyril rioli, leon davis, matt campbell? just to name a few. david rodhan is only 172cm and has been a great player.
people sometimes forget that players like luke power and ben cousins arent even 180cm, and cousins even won a brownlow.
(not that me or anyone else in this thread was suggesting that blake would win a brownlow of course)
i am not saying he will get drafted either, but give him a fair go.
he doesnt need to read that crap before his season has even started. anyone agree?
haven met the bloke but good luck

shit mate, i wasn't having a go at him. just stating a few facts.. i wasn't writing him off, but it certainly makes things harder for him.. i have seen him play on numerous occassions and he's a bloody fantastic footballer.. blake is a completely different player to nearly all those AFL players you've listed. he's a hardworking midfielder, not a freakishly talented goalsneak. i'm not saying his height completely rules him out of being drafted.

oh and mate i've followed the system for quite some time and i think i know enough to comment on it, after all this forum is for expressing opinions.. some of the best TAC cup players of all time (Club and League Best & Fairest Winners in the TAC Cup) have been passed up on draft day altogether because of their height (some of them even taller than blake).. i sincerely hope Blake gets a crack and does his best and i'd be stoked for the kid if he got drafted.. i was merely responding to a post asking as to why he wasn't playing and i gave him a few reasons as to maybe why he wasn't.

talk about storm in a teacup.

shit mate, i wasn't having a go at him. just stating a few facts.. i wasn't writing him off, but it certainly makes things harder for him.. i have seen him play on numerous occassions and he's a bloody fantastic footballer.. blake is a completely different player to nearly all those AFL players you've listed. he's a hardworking midfielder, not a freakishly talented goalsneak. i'm not saying his height completely rules him out of being drafted.

oh and mate i've followed the system for quite some time and i think i know enough to comment on it, after all this forum is for expressing opinions.. some of the best TAC cup players of all time (Club and League Best & Fairest Winners in the TAC Cup) have been passed up on draft day altogether because of their height (some of them even taller than blake).. i sincerely hope Blake gets a crack and does his best and i'd be stoked for the kid if he got drafted.. i was merely responding to a post asking as to why he wasn't playing and i gave him a few reasons as to maybe why he wasn't.

talk about storm in a teacup.

I think this may be the case in why Jimmy Allen never got drafted, he use to pick up 40-50 touches a game at TAC level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back