Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 10 is closer to Geelong in 09. Won 18 home and away games, eased past the doggies, thrashed a pathetic side in the prelim and squeezed past St Kilda with a bit of luck. Geelong in 07 only has one peer and that is Essendon 2000.

Collingwood 10 is closer to Geelong in 09. Won 18 home and away games, eased past the doggies, thrashed a pathetic side in the prelim and squeezed past St Kilda with a bit of luck. Geelong in 07 only has one peer and that is Essendon 2000.

Nope, Geelong were not the best team in 2009. You stole that flag, as Hawthorn did the previous year. The only difference is that Hawthorn won the '08 GF pretty comfortably. Collingwood 2010 were the best team all year.

Nope, Geelong were not the best team in 2009. You stole that flag, as Hawthorn did the previous year. The only difference is that Hawthorn won the '08 GF pretty comfortably. Collingwood 2010 were the best team all year.
:thumbsu:

Geelong were not the best team in 2009, but won the GF. St.Kilda were clearly the best team all year in 2009, and if you look here http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19362289&postcount=1 have have given St.Kilda performace a ranking of of number 3 of epic GF failures.

Geelong gets number one ranking as they should have won in 2008 as their year was great and very dominant. It got tarnished a lot by losing GF to the Hawks. If Geelong had won it would have been better than Essendon in 2000 as a single season performance.

Actually that is a pretty accurate comparison.

Although I'd rank Collingwood of 2010 marginally ahead.

The Geelong 2007 side was better than the Collingwood 2010 side, but I'd say the Collingwood 2010 side has more improvement than the Geelong 2007 side.

However things can undoubtedly go wrong. Although we've already seemed to have strengthened our list from 2010.

The Geelong 2007 side was better than the Collingwood 2010 side, but I'd say the Collingwood 2010 side has more improvement than the Geelong 2007 side.

However things can undoubtedly go wrong. Although we've already seemed to have strengthened our list from 2010.

Good point, going ahead you could expect Collingwood to have an even greater year then 2010, but Geelong didn't have a better year then 2007.

If you go on the criteria of how many games lost for the year, wouldn't st kilda of 2009 be the best team out of the three?

I'm not saying they are, but I'm just showing you how ridiculous of an argument that would be.

Geelong of 2007 were a better team, there absolute dominance on the '07 GF day shows that.

I think Collingwood gave their opposition a bit of a sniff when they should have had the game won (accuracy in front of goal, the gf being an example), I don't remember Geelong doing this. For this reason I would rate Geelong higher, but only just.

It is hard to compare 2 eras, to say that collingwood given 3 years to work on a game plan to combat 2007 tactics, would beat teams of that era doesn't mean much. In 3 or 4 years time, the best team in the comp will be the one that has come up with a game plan that works against the current collingwood plan. This will not make them better than collingwood who are better than geelong. It's just evolution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 had too many weak teams, 2010 was a stronger bunch. However, 2011 looks like being a weaker year again.
Pies slightly better because of all ground strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back