Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

The game plan that Geelong had in 2007 would have smashed Collingwood also. Melbourne play a similar game plan to Geelong just not with the quality that Geelong have.

The same gameplan could only get over a 10 goal inferior Collingwood side (to the current one) in the PF by 5 points.

That 2007 side had 16 players that were all good enough to start in the midfield.

Name them. Collingwood's midfield would slice apart Geelong's with their use of the rotations.

The same gameplan could only get over a 10 goal inferior Collingwood side (to the current one) in the PF by 5 points.

Name them. Collingwood's midfield would slice apart Geelong's with their use of the rotations.

Ablett
Corey
Enright
Selwood
Ling
Johnson
Millburn
Chapman
Stokes
Byrnes
Hunt
Wojo
Mackie
Rooke
Bartal
Kelly

Throw in two dominent ruckmen and the best full back in the last 15 years and there you have it.

The game plan that Geelong had in 2007 would have smashed Collingwood also. Melbourne play a similar game plan to Geelong just not with the quality that Geelong have. That 2007 side had 16 players that were all good enough to start in the midfield. All players all had exceptional foot skills somthing that cant be said about Collingwoods 2010 side.

WTF ?? :thumbsdown:

What ever you are drinking can i have some. :p

Something that many scribes have said that it was Collingwood use of the ball around the boundary lines rather than "thru the corridor" which was a great part of winning the flag this year. Suggest you go and look at few of our games a little more before posting dribble.

The game plan that Geelong had in 2007 would have smashed Collingwood also.
what was the major differences in geelong's gameplan between 2007 and 2010, out of interest?

Thompson said the Geelong coaching staff had tried to instill in the players in the off-season that the frenetic, handball-based style that had carried them to two of the past three premierships would not cut it when it counted this year.

As happened against the Magpies in round 19, the Cats’ high-possession style floundered in the face of Collingwood’s ferocious defensive press, Geelong having 79 more disposals but never getting into the contest.

Thompson said even as it became obvious the Cats’ playing style was being cut apart by the Magpies on Friday night, the coaching staff were unable to get their message through.

“We try to handball our way through it, we’ve got habits, I think we have to be better than that,” he said. “We rarely go slow with the ball and (Friday night) we played on 100 per cent from marks and we were screaming for our boys just to slow it down, so we could regain our composure. “The message just wasn’t going anywhere, it didn’t happen and we got smashed.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/09/19/geelong-too-slow-to-evolve-thompson/

WTF ?? :thumbsdown:

What ever you are drinking can i have some. :p

Something that many scribes have said that it was Collingwood use of the ball around the boundary lines rather than "thru the corridor" which was a great part of winning the flag this year. Suggest you go and look at few of our games a little more before posting dribble.

Toovey Ball McCaffer Obrien Maxwell Shaw Johnston all have below par footskills compared to the 2007 Geelong comparison.

And the gameplan that smashed Collingwood by 12 goals in the PF 2009. Or was the 2009 Pies 11 goals worse than the 2007 Pies?

Persisting with this line is dumb. Really really dumb. For real. If you want to keep it going - Collingwood 2010 lost to Brisbane. Brisbane. Close the thread now.

what was the major differences in geelong's gameplan between 2007 and 2010, out of interest?

Thompson said the Geelong coaching staff had tried to instill in the players in the off-season that the frenetic, handball-based style that had carried them to two of the past three premierships would not cut it when it counted this year.

As happened against the Magpies in round 19, the Cats’ high-possession style floundered in the face of Collingwood’s ferocious defensive press, Geelong having 79 more disposals but never getting into the contest.

Thompson said even as it became obvious the Cats’ playing style was being cut apart by the Magpies on Friday night, the coaching staff were unable to get their message through.

“We try to handball our way through it, we’ve got habits, I think we have to be better than that,” he said. “We rarely go slow with the ball and (Friday night) we played on 100 per cent from marks and we were screaming for our boys just to slow it down, so we could regain our composure. “The message just wasn’t going anywhere, it didn’t happen and we got smashed.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/09/19/geelong-too-slow-to-evolve-thompson/

How does it make sense to compare a side that pioneered a gameplan that took them to unprecedented winning %s, an all time record GF winning margin, etc - to a side that had 4 years to tailor it's gameplan to counter that side? As admitted by Malthouse.

How does it make sense to compare a side that pioneered a gameplan that took them to unprecedented winning %s, an all time record GF winning margin, etc - to a side that had 4 years to tailor it's gameplan to counter that side? As admitted by Malthouse.
huh? you are pretty much arguing my point; take a look at what i was responding to.

And the gameplan that smashed Collingwood by 12 goals in the PF 2009. Or was the 2009 Pies 11 goals worse than the 2007 Pies?

We are talking about Geelong 07' V Collingwood 10'. At the same stage of the season in 09', Swan was injured, Pendlebury was out & compared to the 07' version, we didn't have as many senior players. On average, the 07' version was 2 years older than the 09' version (I think from the 07' PF side, we turned over 14 players to the 09' PF side).

The Geelong 07' version was only an incorrect freekick to Mooney away from elimination.

We are talking about Geelong 07' V Collingwood 10'.

Then why the feck do you keep bringing up Collingwood 07?

At the same stage of the season in 09', Swan was injured, Pendlebury was out & compared to the 07' version, we didn't have as many senior players. On average, the 07' version was 2 years older than the 09' version (I think from the 07' PF side, we turned over 14 players to the 09' PF side).

Greeeeeaaaaat.

The Geelong 07' version was only an incorrect freekick to Mooney away from elimination.

Yeah sure. I would say the only reason they were that close was an incorrect free kick to Rocca in the final minutes, but that's whiny loser talk. I'll leave that to you.

Collingwood were a bad bounce away from losing their GF and not winning a flag at all. Turns out they drew one anyway, and should be disregarded from any discussions regarding dominant premiership sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood were a bad bounce away from losing their GF and not winning a flag at all.

That is true to a point. The point remains, St. Kilda 10' were clearly a superior unit (& by superior, I'd say at least 7 goals) to the unit Geelong could only defeat in the PF in 07' by 5 points. If were dealing in hypotheticals like you are, if Josh Fraser played in that PF, Geelong wouldn't have won..

It's interesting to note that Geelong supporters in this thread still haven't this question, who were the eq versions of St. Kilda & Geelong of 10' in 2007 quality & win/loss wise.

That is true to a point. The point remains, St. Kilda 10' were clearly a superior unit (& by superior, I'd say at least 7 goals) to the unit Geelong could only defeat in the PF in 07' by 5 points. If were dealing in hypotheticals like you are, if Josh Fraser played in that PF, Geelong wouldn't have won..

It's you. You're the one dealing in hypotheticals.

It's interesting to note that Geelong supporters in this thread still haven't this question, who were the eq versions of St. Kilda & Geelong of 10' in 2007 quality & win/loss wise.

Who gives a shit, completely irrelevant.

If you must do this, Port Adelaide finished with 15 wins for the season, the same as St Kilda. We smashed them by 20 goals in the GF. You drew with St Kilda.

Probably because they were a kick from denying Geelong 07 a premiership.

And Collingwood 10 lost to Brisbane. Results of single matches have very little bearing on a clubs performance over a season. How can you not see this?

True, it could have been anybody who nearly denied Geelong the 07 flag.

Pretty much, considering Collingwood were about the 4th best club that year. The Cats didn't deal well with the week off and were sluggish all night. Geelong played well below their best that night, you could tell from the opening minutes with Harley dropping sitters they weren't completely switched on.

He would play in front of Dawes anyone can see that.
So he will play a mid CHF/FF position in between Cloke and Dawes? Mooney is not that great and is only functional enough to take advantage of the Geelong midfield with regards to the salary cap constraints. They would have liked a Jon Brown or Fevola but couldn't possibly with the salary cap.

Geelong
B: 2 Tom Harley (c) 30 Matthew Scarlett 8 Josh Hunt
HB: 4 Andrew Mackie 39 Darren Milburn 40 David Wojcinski
C: 11 Joel Corey 3 Jimmy Bartel 44 Corey Enright
HF: 20 Steve Johnson 21 Cameron Mooney 14 Joel Selwood
F: 35 Paul Chapman 23 Nathan Ablett 27 Mathew Stokes
Foll: 6 Brad Ottens 45 Cameron Ling 29 Gary Ablett Jr.
Int: 1 Steven King 17 Shannon Byrnes 9 James Kelly
33 Max Rooke

Who is better and who is worse compared between 2010 and 2007? Varcoe takes up some of the slack from the decline as does the JPod (NABlett out, JPod in is probably a positive net). Bartel is probably down but that is more than countered by the rise of Selwood. GAJ is a better player now than he was in 2007, Ling is being found out now by quick teams and is so down. All up the 2010 version is not much worse than the 2007 version if at all, the off field distractions probably confirm that they are worse but I would counter that the difference isn't huge (as shown by Geelong supporters still sprouting the dynasty talk before the first quarter of the PF).

Collingwood 2010 beat Geelong 2007 with the time machine hypothetical, Geelong's 2007 season was more impressive than Collingwood's 2010 season.

why dont we wait and see what collingwood do over the next 3 years, if the cats did what hawthorn did after there premiership(hypothetical eg:injuries) this would be a no contest. if collingwood win 2-3 premierships i think most views will change.

keep this thread on hold, hopefully for us will be a very even debate in a few years at the moment cats by a fair way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back