GDFL Geelong and District Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect to North but by all reports Winch aren't much chop and will probably finish bottom this year.

I dont think you can comment about Winch Kooley. Your Mob got absolutely punished by Anakie on the weekend! It will take time, probably 3-5 rounds for the Winchelsea boys to gel and start playing better footy, as of the influx of new players. 11 players also were missing on the weekend, through other commitments and clearances not coming through. The CHF pulled out 1 hr before the game because of the flu, which left Winch with not much of a target up forward.

On another note how did the big fella go in the Ruck? And how did Kitcho go up forward??

My tips for round 1;

East over Inverleigh but the margin will be tighter than most expect. Scrobba not playing and missing a couple of others from last year thru injury being replaced by recruits who look the goods but yet to show the wares in the real thing. Inverleigh have also picked up a couple of good players without losing much from 2007.
BPH to beat Corio. The Hill have recuited well on top of a strong base in '07 which should see them get over Corio who have also spent there money wisely but struggled in '07. Also no R O'Toole.
Werribee to beat Anakie but only on the strength of the players leaving Anakie. I could be extremely wrong about this.
Nth Geelong to get over Winch in the closest game for the round.
Bannock to beat Thomson. Some very good recruiting for Bannock should see them hold there position from 2007. Thomson have some quality players but most are getting a bit long in the tooth.
Belmont to easily account for West.
yes... your tips did stink

Agree with most on the Corio V BPH game. Grgic was ordinary, Boofa and Cavka were pretty good. Stewy will be hard to get over for any team. Billy Nicholls will star after a few games under his belt. Fair result in the end, I think BPH are about 5 goals behind the best sides. As for this Moreland character who's been pumping up his own tyres all preseason, I kept a close eye on him throughout the game and wasn't overly impressed.

did you catch how big grgic went for the hill or tate by any chance mate?

Grgic well held early, moved to defence and improved. Tate did not play, not sure who they had in ruck, but no match for big Stewy.

Clifford is another I forgot to mention. Presented well all day.

beat players at each club now that recruiting has finished;

my best effort, no doubt ive left players out

anakie: sluggert, berg
bannockburn: mullane grant, woods, lewis
bell post hill: lewis, grgic,
belmont: williams, mahoney (best full back in comp)
corio: o'toole, nichols, stewart
east geelong: skroba, coy,
geelong west: spengler, sims
inverleigh: trotter, crerar
north geelong: hutchison, fitsimmonds
thomson: mcloed's, curtis, wallace
werribee: fastuca
winchelsea: worland

All that from just one game of footy? I thought the silly season was during the off season? I'd say give it a few weeks at least mate or until you have watched every club play a game

I dont think you can comment about Winch Kooley. Your Mob got absolutely punished by Anakie on the weekend! It will take time, probably 3-5 rounds for the Winchelsea boys to gel and start playing better footy, as of the influx of new players. 11 players also were missing on the weekend, through other commitments and clearances not coming through. The CHF pulled out 1 hr before the game because of the flu, which left Winch with not much of a target up forward.

On another note how did the big fella go in the Ruck? And how did Kitcho go up forward??
People are quick to write the lesser fancied opposition off. Winch mightn't have been much chop on sat but each game will improve the younger brigade as they go along. To have 3 under 18 players along with a number of players that were playing under 18s last year is a big ask but is needed for development.
People are quick on here to write the less fancied sides off, For instance Geelong West were admirable against Belmont Friday night and will be big improvers this season. In the papers they write how Battersby dominated the ruck but if that was so why were West getting alot of the clearances?

About as well researched as a Noel Fanning article because at East you would add in Hoey, Sinclair, O'Hara and Paisley only one of which is that well known outside the club.

i hope the pies come out and giv the tigs a touch up now... no need 4 these comments because u havnt seen the way both clubs play...
it was round one fella...
get a couple games in and see were the teams are at...
then allow urself to start being a mouth....
cant judge a book by its cover!!!

Forgot to mention that M Lewis from Bannockburn was seen in the crowd at Shell Oval during the last quarter.
Having been named to play for the Tigers on Sat, is he headed for different pastures?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to mention that M Lewis from Bannockburn was seen in the crowd at Shell Oval during the last quarter.
Having been named to play for the Tigers on Sat, is he headed for different pastures?

Wouldn't think so. He worked on Saturday and as he works at Shell I suppose he just called in to watch a few of his mates play from both Corio and BPH.

how about north geelong, big win over winch!! it will be a good test to see where we are at this week against banno[/quote
north played a side that was the equivalent to the kardinia cats and will get a touch up this week against the country tigers.

I heard u tore the dancefloor up Sat night citytigers, and that u aren't far away from returning to paddock after recovering from ur recurring hamstring injury? Any truth to the rumour?

When i see a side that only kicks 4 goals in game of footy on a perfect afternoon then it's fair to assume they aren't much chop.

When i see a side that only kicks 4 goals in game of footy on a perfect afternoon then it's fair to assume they aren't much chop.

Forward line looked the only real problem for Winch. Looked like they had two blokes down there that were injured for the whole match.

They'll come good.

Forward line looked the only real problem for Winch. Looked like they had two blokes down there that were injured for the whole match.

They'll come good.
Having two weeks before we start i watched the game saturday.. And ill put it this way, if matt worland misses any games this year they will be games in winch dont score.. they are terrible and showed no character other than the stand out of efforts of the one player who deserved to be in the bests.. Terrible

I heard u tore the dancefloor up Sat night citytigers, and that u aren't far away from returning to paddock after recovering from ur recurring hamstring injury? Any truth to the rumour?
well yes i did happen to do a bit of mingaling on the godfrey street dance floor and the hamstring stayed intact, but i think i've done some damage to the feet coz they were smokin that night, hopefully back on the park by round 3-4.:thumbsu:

how about north geelong, big win over winch!! it will be a good test to see where we are at this week against banno[/quote
north played a side that was the equivalent to the kardinia cats and will get a touch up this week against the country tigers.

we did play a very ordinary winch but we are not gona be a walk over.. can u remember the results last time, pretty sur we won, haha

what the hell happen to werribee centrals?

with the players they had picked up over the pre-season i would have thought they would have accounted for anakie at galvin park, considering anakie had lost a few from last year.

Does anyone know where to access the betting odds offered for the Geelong leagues this year??? Wouldn't mind having a multi bet with Werribee for the spoon into Corio for the flag!!!

Agree with most on the Corio V BPH game. Grgic was ordinary, Boofa and Cavka were pretty good. Stewy will be hard to get over for any team. Billy Nicholls will star after a few games under his belt. Fair result in the end, I think BPH are about 5 goals behind the best sides. As for this Moreland character who's been pumping up his own tyres all preseason, I kept a close eye on him throughout the game and wasn't overly impressed.

Hello all, have been a regular watcher of postings over the summer, having retired from local football a few years back I have kept in touch with Geelongs 3 leagues more recently sticking with the GDFL match of the rounds and finals. Its a great comp to watch clubs and young players develop in. The Corio v BPH game on Saturday was worthy of finals, cant recall seeing a bigger crowd (bar finals) at a GDFL match. Great atmosphere and two rivals playing hard with great spirit. Both these teams will be there come finals, I understand both teams had 4 to 5 out and both teams havent had a pre season to desire with alot of players involved in cricket, as have most GDFL clubs.
I think your a bit hard on Moreland, he is just a kid, lets not forget that most kids his age forget being loyal and move on, its great for the comp. Its great the McLeods have stayed true also.

Heard on the weekend that "interleague football" is once again scrapped for season 08. Can anyone confirm this?

With an abundance of talent at the leagues disposal, it would be disappointing not to be able to showcase it.

Heard on the weekend that "interleague football" is once again scrapped for season 08. Can anyone confirm this?

With an abundance of talent at the leagues disposal, it would be disappointing not to be able to showcase it.

Well, not surprised at all with that, after they tossed a coin for last seasons "Team of the Year" how would they be able to select an interleague team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back