GDFL Geelong and District Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
R U serious.

Was at Bannock and East game and was suprised how one way it was in the first quarter. Bannock were very well drilled, skillful and looked quick through the mid field (but every side does when they are on top) however the key was the 2 big blokes down forward which allows bannock to kick it long with confidence. After quarter time the game evened out but it was all over and both sides new it.

Ben Naylon is a great pick up for Bannock. He suprised me with how much he has improved since he was last in the league and his ability to play up the ground and do the hard yards means TMG can stay close to goal and also only has to contend with one opponent rather than the 2 or 3 from previous years.

Very impressed with Bannock and for mine they should be installed as the favourite for the flag.

Bannock do have two nice forwards i'll pay that but i'm not sure how they'll cope with quality defenders. on the other hand how are the tigers going to cope with the hawks "triple threat" up forward.

also to make east geelongs midfeild look slow is like shooting fish in a barrell. i watched anakie do it 3 weeks ago so my advise would be to back the hawks at 14 now before they get crunched after this weekend.

contenders or pretenders? you decide.

Bannock do have two nice forwards i'll pay that but i'm not sure how they'll cope with quality defenders. on the other hand how are the tigers going to cope with the hawks "triple threat" up forward.

also to make east geelongs midfeild look slow is like shooting fish in a barrell. i watched anakie do it 3 weeks ago so my advise would be to back the hawks at 14 now before they get crunched after this weekend.

This weekend probably will answer your question jayc. Beat Bannock and we have to be serious about the Hawks.
Gotta say though having seen Bannock over the last few weeks they seem to have a quiet confidence abount them. They've beaten three finalists from last year, and only lost to Thomson. Given Corio aren't living up to the $2 for the falg hype just yet, the two tigers are the yard sticks of the comp. Beat them and the hype you and your cohorts are generating will be justified!!

dont know who were worse. the west crowd around the coaches box were a disgrace, the west senior team which is full of undiciplined hero's or the 2 central umpires.

one thing for sure is thomson are class and so is wallace

I would have to agree with you on the Geelong West subject i went and watched Belmont play them first game and there supporters were abousloute losers carrying on it wasnt a good a place to be at they need to have a good hard lokk at themselves:mad:

I will give you 3 names
Brett Fishcer - one of the best backman who has gone around the "minor" leagues over the past 10 years and better judges than I will support me on that one
Dan Gibbs - tough player and tough opponent has played on and beaten the best that the GDFL has thrown up during his time at North and Bannock and one of only a handful of backman to the would have the wood over Sean O'Leary when he was firing prior to injury
Ross Dando - underrated but gets the job done
and if that doesn't suit add in Nick Toohey. Had first hand experience of them last week and they are pretty good.

Also if East are so slow how come they ran away from you blokes in round 1.

I will give you 3 names
Brett Fishcer - one of the best backman who has gone around the "minor" leagues over the past 10 years and better judges than I will support me on that one
Dan Gibbs - tough player and tough opponent has played on and beaten the best that the GDFL has thrown up during his time at North and Bannock and one of only a handful of backman to the would have the wood over Sean O'Leary when he was firing prior to injury
and if that doesn't suit add in Nick Toohey. Had first hand experience of them last week and they are pretty good.

Granted we did lose to East the first game, but we didn't do ourselves any favours by kicking so many points. We had more scoring shots than they did in that match, just didn't take our chances. (9/16 to 17/4)

Granted we did lose to East the first game, but we didn't do ourselves any favours by kicking so many points. We had more scoring shots than they did in that match, just didn't take our chances. (9/16 to 17/4

Bad kicking is bad football. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Thomson have more shots than Inverleigh in round 2?
So which game should you have won?

Bad kicking is bad football. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Thomson have more shots than Inverleigh in round 2?
So which game should you have won?[/quote]

you were talking about speed in the mid field and the East game unless i was mistaken, As this was the first game of the season too.

So which game should you have won?

you were talking about speed in the mid field and the East game unless i was mistaken, As this was the first game of the season too.[/quote]

I dont really care who wins out of Inverleigh and Bannock on the weekend but I am moving towards Bannockburn as the place would be unbearable if the Hawks win.

Already we have jaychawk, inverhawk, leigh boy and a number of others on here sprouting about all things Inverleigh imagine if they win we will be overrun by a aerie of hawks.

I will give you 3 names

Would have to agree with you there, Drago. Have played on all three of them over the years and would rank up there with some of the toughest opponents I've played on. The fact they have different styles makes them
a difficult prospect.
Fish is like Inpector Gadget, longest arms in the business ( except maybe Aitchy from Thomson).
Gibbo is tough and uncompromising and reads the play as well as any backman around.
And as you said, Ross Dando just keeps going and rarely gets beaten.
Credit must go out to the Hawks as they have taken all before them this season, but Banno are flying at the moment and will really test the young kids from Inverleigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you were talking about speed in the mid field and the East game unless i was mistaken, As this was the first game of the season too

We were talking about that. Then you sprouted that you would've beaten East if you kicked straight, but you didn't. Thomson should've beaten you in round 2 if they kicked straight but they didn't.
You beat Geelong West by 10 points and were only 6 goals up against Winch at half time. If you think you should be flag favorites you gotta do better than that against the bottom sides. Like Thomson and Bannockburn.
Good test for Inva this week but god I hope Bannock win. Couldn't bear more Hawks telling me how good they are and that Brent Ling should've played ahead of Matty Scarlett for the big V.
Where were all of you last year? Fair weather supporters? Win a few games and come out of your stick and mud huts to blow smoke up their arses?

you were talking about speed in the mid field and the East game unless i was mistaken, As this was the first game of the season too

We were talking about that. Then you sprouted that you would've beaten East if you kicked straight, but you didn't. Thomson should've beaten you in round 2 if they kicked straight but they didn't.
You beat Geelong West by 10 points and were only 6 goals up against Winch at half time. If you think you should be flag favorites you gotta do better than that against the bottom sides. Like Thomson and Bannockburn.
Good test for Inva this week but god I hope Bannock win. Couldn't bear more Hawks telling me how good they are and that Brent Ling should've played ahead of Matty Scarlett for the big V.
Where were all of you last year? Fair weather supporters? Win a few games and come out of your stick and mud huts to blow smoke up their arses?

Brent Ling is a reserves defender from Lara at best. Trotter too scared to play GFL.

i dont have to go to a geelong west game to know whats going to happen.. 2 things that you can always expect while watching a west game.. they are most like going to get pumped and their supporters that hang around the box are going to carry on like headless chickens. its the culture of the geelong west sporting club..

I think you are all a bunch of morons, that have nothing better to do, than winge and bitch about struggling clubs!!!!
LEAVE WEST ALONE and worry about your own damn club.
I went to a function there not too long ago and it was the best club function i have been too in along time! The Culture of the GWSC has changed! Its the perception from all you other bastards that f#$k it up for them. Good Luck in the Future Cheetahs:thumbsu:

can anyone tell me if thomsons hamstrung 2's wingman got through his 1st game unscathed. i very much doubt his fragile frame will get through many games

He def got through Norfolk, and the most useful thing he did was position himself as a step ladder for a GW player to take mark of the century over him. There was a whisper he had stop marks on his ear and shoulder.

If Brett Fisher is playing, him and Dan Gibbs are quality defenders who are proven at GFL level. If you're counting on Brett Ling to stop Tom Mullane Grant,thats a big ask. Brett Ling has a go, I'll give him that but he couldn't get a consistent game at Lara when they were ordinary and Tom Mullane Grant proved himself at Geelong West and over the years at Bannockburn. In saying that, I'm not writing off Inverleigh just stating Mullane Grant would be licking his lips if Brent Ling lined up on him.

Brent Ling is a reserves defender from Lara at best. Trotter too scared to play GFL.
To all the forum members bagging Inverleigh supporters, for being a little over excited about the way we are going at the moment, ease up a bit, since reforming in 2002 we have been at the bottom end of the ladder and before the start of this season most pundits had us at the bottom for 2008, so let us enjoy the way we are traveling. To those that take cheap shots at Clayton Trotter, do you even know the bloke or are you just going on hearsay because if you got to know him, as I have, you would find that he is a very loyal and well respected clubman. Clayton who is one of only two players that have been at the club since reforming has won five club best and fairests, one runner up and a g.d.f.l. league best and fairest. It is also worth noting that Clayton reached his 100th club game milestone last year, having missed only one game in six years, to bring his tally to 110 games for the Inverleigh Football club. Enough said GO HAWKS.

To all the forum members bagging Inverleigh supporters, for being a little over excited about the way we are going at the moment, ease up a bit, since reforming in 2002 we have been at the bottom end of the ladder and before the start of this season most pundits had us at the bottom for 2008, so let us enjoy the way we are traveling. To those that take cheap shots at Clayton Trotter, do you even know the bloke or are you just going on hearsay because if you got to know him, as I have, you would find that he is a very loyal and well respected clubman. Clayton who is one of only two players that have been at the club since reforming has won five club best and fairests, one runner up and a g.d.f.l. league best and fairest. It is also worth noting that Clayton reached his 100th club game milestone last year, having missed only one game in six years, to bring his tally to 110 games for the Inverleigh Football club. Enough said GO HAWKS.

This is a "Forum", people are here to give honest opinions and call it how they see it, if dealing with peoples opinions is too hard, feel free to leave. We dont need 50 replys on an opinion, it is just that, an opinion. If you prefer reading non negative, unprofessional, non researched and blatant crap, stick to the Geelong Advertiser!

As you said the side has been at bottom for years so i dont think for a player like trotter to win 5 b+fs wouldnt be that hard , red hair stands out.

Would have to agree with you there, Drago. Have played on all three of them over the years and would rank up there with some of the toughest opponents I've played on. The fact they have different styles makes them
a difficult prospect.
Fish is like Inpector Gadget, longest arms in the business ( except maybe Aitchy from Thomson).
Gibbo is tough and uncompromising and reads the play as well as any backman around.
And as you said, Ross Dando just keeps going and rarely gets beaten.
Credit must go out to the Hawks as they have taken all before them this season, but Banno are flying at the moment and will really test the young kids from Inverleigh.
spider i don't want to break up you and drago's ross dando love fest but the bloke who yhas been referred to as "looking like tarzan and playing like jane" left the country this week for 6 months.

also to make east geelongs midfeild look slow is like shooting fish in a barrell.
If its so easy why couldn't your invincible hawks do it in round 1?

because i wasn't playing.

Did you have to set your alarm to kick the dew off for the big boys? Keep trying champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back