Geelong are cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was Brown and Goldilocks and the 3 cats out there today:

Too old - Johnson, Bartel, Enright, Mackie (pulled out in warm up), Kelly, Lonergan, Stokes
Too young - Gregson, Cockatoo, Lang, Simpson (only 24 games), Blicavs (when used as a defender), Bews, Smedts (only 34 games)
Just right: Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins, Clark, Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, Rivers

Seriously hard to beat the best team in the comp with that mix.

But Gregson and Cockatoo have a heap of talent, they'll impact this year. Same with Lang. Simpson is serviceable against lesser teams and the cats aren't short of ruck options (even if none are perfect). Blicavs would be a perfectly acceptable CHB in some teams if that was the final plan for Geelong, he does a great job shuffling roles so often for an inexperienced player. And the older guys were right at the top of the possessions, they just don't make the same impact with them as they used to.

The question for Geelong is not can they bounce back, win plenty of games this year and still be a serious show for top 4. Because they can. It's whether it's the best thing to do to increase chances to win a premiership in the future if it requires Kelly, Johnson and Bartel in the midfield and Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, Rivers, Taylor in the same backline with an average age of about 30.

Chappy left Geelong because he was offered a 1 year deal as a 11 game player. I wonder if the Cats will decide any of their older brigade - who can all still play AFL level footy - should be 11 game players.

It was Brown and Goldilocks and the 3 cats out there today:

Too old - Johnson, Bartel, Enright, Mackie (pulled out in warm up), Kelly, Lonergan, Stokes
Too young - Gregson, Cockatoo, Lang, Simpson (only 24 games), Blicavs (when used as a defender), Bews, Smedts (only 34 games)
Just right: Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins, Clark, Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, Rivers

Seriously hard to beat the best team in the comp with that mix.

But Gregson and Cockatoo have a heap of talent, they'll impact this year. Same with Lang. Simpson is serviceable against lesser teams and the cats aren't short of ruck options (even if none are perfect). Blicavs would be a perfectly acceptable CHB in some teams if that was the final plan for Geelong, he does a great job shuffling roles so often for an inexperienced player. And the older guys were right at the top of the possessions, they just don't make the same impact with them as they used to.

The question for Geelong is not can they bounce back, win plenty of games this year and still be a serious show for top 4. Because they can. It's whether it's the best thing to do to increase chances to win a premiership in the future if it requires Kelly, Johnson and Bartel in the midfield and Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, Rivers, Taylor in the same backline with an average age of about 30.

Chappy left Geelong because he was offered a 1 year deal as a 11 game player. I wonder if the Cats will decide any of their older brigade - who can all still play AFL level footy - should be 11 game players.
Fair summation

They have lots to like about them. They just ran into the best team in the comp having the 22 they want to pick all out there and in great form. Lets not forget that the Hawks carried injuries all through the season. Today they looked fresher than they have for ages and Geelong copped it all.

I do think that Geelong is going to have to get some more experienced players big bodies on the ball.

If Hawthorn are at 100%, no one is beating them as seen by the GF and this afternoon after Qtr time. Geelong will make the lower end of the eight with their Simonds Stadium advantage and they still have more than enough talent to beat up on teams at the lower end of the ladder. I do see them getting knocked out in an elimination final though.

Very early to write them off. Was concerning seeing Enright and Bartel making basic mistakes which is rightout of character. The older set present a problem of how to transition them to retirement over the next 1-2 seasons. It's a problem that's great to have when it comes off the back of 3 flags. Hawks will have similar concerns in the seasons ahead with Hodge, Mitchell et al. Price of success and difficult to manage. Still if you can get 3 flags or even 4 in quick time the price is so worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For as long as I've been watching footy (and it's been a while now) Geelong have been near unbeatable at home. I expect that to continue and for them to win 80-100% of their games at Simonds, and should be good enough to win 50% of their others. Even though they look cooked they'll still be thereabouts in September.

Agree not in Hawks league anymore and really haven't been for 2 years.

Prob a 5th to 8th side. Looking forward to a developing year for some of the younger set.

Be happy in 2015 to blood some younger players, make 8 and win a final (given have lost 5 of past 6 finals played)
Sorry but I think majority think the top 4 will be Freo Port Syd Haw.

but 5-13 will end up being 1-2 wins between them and one bad match is probably going to screw a teams year. So really we are a 5-13 team not a 5-8 team.

I dont think the cats are that far off. They have all the tools but need some depth and experience for midfield rotations

When they played their best players in there, they did OK or broke even

Mitch and porkins will terrorise a few teams

Hawthorn will make most sides look bad this year, I'd still expect Geelong to play finals but they might struggle to make top 4 and I can't see them being a serious premiership threat when they were so far off the pace against Hawthorn.

It's only Round 1 and they played against a team that were as dominant as Collingwood were 4 years ago.

It's not like we should re-locate Geelong down to Tassie just yet.

Although the Tasmanian Cats does have a nice ring to it. :p

Hawthorn will make most sides look bad this year, I'd still expect Geelong to play finals but they might struggle to make top 4 and I can't see them being a serious premiership threat when they were so far off the pace against Hawthorn.

They say Freo at Subi is one of the toughest proposition for teams to face i would argue facing Hawthorn at the MCG is even tougher.

Personally for me, I'm starting to think a change of the coach is on the cards.

How will that improve/change a playing list that has just six players (only one of whom is a midfielder) in that "prime" age group (25-29 years)? That's the real problem - Too many players that are either past it or not quite there yet. The age profile of their squad just isn't right at the moment for a serious flag tilt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back