Geelong are cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They say Freo at Subi is one of the toughest proposition for teams to face i would argue facing Hawthorn at the MCG is even tougher.

If we do 3 pete, that will be a factor when comparing to the lions efforts on the road

i feel a lot more confident knowing finals will be likely at the mcg, and the pundits have grossly underestimated it two grand finals running

Enright, Stokes, Johnson, Bartel, Lonergan all looked slow and sluggish today. Stokes effort to chase in that last qtr was diabolical. Bartel and Enright made basic skill errors that we have rarely seen from them in the past years.

Their ruck division is in real trouble in my opinion. Simpson was slaughtered by Cegler. They have an ageing McIntosh who is also cooked.
The likes of Smedts dont not even close to taking the next step.
your new to this i see

They say Freo at Subi is one of the toughest proposition for teams to face i would argue facing Hawthorn at the MCG is even tougher.

They are even better at home down here at aurora

Especially Bartel?????? Are you fair dinkum? You're so far off the mark.

Looks cooked. So does Goodes and I'll be honest there. A day like today should suit him. We will see hope he has a great season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concern for Geelong as I see it is:

Not including rookies:
2007 draft - Harry Taylor (mature ager), Dawson Simpson, nothing
2008 draft - Mitch Brown, Gillies, Motlop, Taylor Hunt
2009 draft - Menzel, Duncan, Christensen, Vardy, Cowan
2010 draft - Smedts, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Schroder
2011 draft - Hamling, Kersten, Murdoch, McCarthy, Bews, Blicavs
2012 draft - Caddy trade, Thurlow, Hartman

I remember thinking sometime in 2011 that the Geelong era would never end. Motlop, Menzel and Duncan were freaks. Then Vardy popped up and looked like Paul Salmon. Mitch Brown seemed to have a heap of talent. Christensen was clearly a player. Taylor Hunt had speed and pace. Then it was Guthrie and Horlin-Smith impressing. Most of that lot would've had Brownlow vote getting games at times.

But since then this group of players haven't really impressed me much. The ones in red have had a tonne of injuries and are still injured. Taylor Hunt regressed and Mitch Brown didn't come on but maybe they were moved on a year too soon? Christensen left. Smedts isn't impressive and Horlin-Smith hasn't kicked on, I'd say they'd be doubt if they will make it long term. Kersten and Murdoch looked like guns but now 2 kids in their first season coming from half a preseason have gone passed them? Caddy might be the biggest disappointment of the lot considering he was so highly rated.

Were these guys overrated by playing with such champs next to them? Or are they fumbling through that extended 2nd year blues phase where players struggle to bridge the gap from talented kids to consistent performers? Are they starved for opportunity and responsibility at senior level? Is Chris Scott and the development program at Geelong lacking in taking players up a step? What the heck is the deal with so many career threatening injuries?

If the Cats are to stay strong then when all the 30+ guys go in the next few years these guys will have to step up. Duncan, Motlop and Guthrie will, but I don't know about the rest.

How will that improve/change a playing list that has just six players (only one of whom is a midfielder) in that "prime" age group (25-29 years)? That's the real problem - Too many players that are either past it or not quite there yet. The age profile of their squad just isn't right at the moment for a serious flag tilt.

That's true, but we've been poor like this since 2012. Which means it hasn't been addressed (or an attempt to except getting Boak) We've had a few players in that group that we've opted to trade/de-list, and while not guns would help bridge that age gap.

It was Brown and Goldilocks and the 3 cats out there today:

Too old - Johnson, Bartel, Enright, Mackie (pulled out in warm up), Kelly, Lonergan, Stokes
Too young - Gregson, Cockatoo, Lang, Simpson (only 24 games), Blicavs (when used as a defender), Bews, Smedts (only 34 games)
Just right: Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins, Clark, Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, Rivers

Seriously hard to beat the best team in the comp with that mix.

But Gregson and Cockatoo have a heap of talent, they'll impact this year. Same with Lang. Simpson is serviceable against lesser teams and the cats aren't short of ruck options (even if none are perfect). Blicavs would be a perfectly acceptable CHB in some teams if that was the final plan for Geelong, he does a great job shuffling roles so often for an inexperienced player. And the older guys were right at the top of the possessions, they just don't make the same impact with them as they used to.

The question for Geelong is not can they bounce back, win plenty of games this year and still be a serious show for top 4. Because they can. It's whether it's the best thing to do to increase chances to win a premiership in the future if it requires Kelly, Johnson and Bartel in the midfield and Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, Rivers, Taylor in the same backline with an average age of about 30.

Chappy left Geelong because he was offered a 1 year deal as a 11 game player. I wonder if the Cats will decide any of their older brigade - who can all still play AFL level footy - should be 11 game players.
Rivers is the same age as lonergan

Rivers is the same age as lonergan
True. For whatever reason Rivers felt a bit younger out there. Maybe 2 functional kidneys and a bunch of years at Melbourne not playing all those tough finals.

I guess Rivers playing as a zoning 3rd tall could play that way for quite a while, Lonergan will bounce back, he's not done yet, but Geelong don't want to put him on Roughead and the Gunston match up is a nightmare for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back