Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be a combination of a few things that sets it off. It can be as simple as a coach leaving, recruiting staff leaving and so on.
Keeping Scott is important. He ties it all together and has taken some very flawed teams to finals/prelims.

Plus there's no hiding around the fact that we need to nail a couple of decent FA recruits. The salary dump of champion veterans required will need to be used on quality. Easier said than done.

Keeping Scott is important. He ties it all together and has taken some very flawed teams to finals/prelims.

Plus there's no hiding around the fact that we need to nail a couple of decent FA recruits. The salary dump of champion veterans required will need to be used on quality. Easier said than done.
I think Scott will be the one that causes the house of cards to fall the most.

As we have seen replacing a high calibre coach is no easy feat.

Well we didn’t think Wells could be replaced …nor our champions of the past …or our assistant coaches …or our CEO…I’m sure we will be fine when he does eventually walk away from the club but it won’t be for awhile yet

Geelong will always attract elite talent from other clubs. This will ensure they remain relevant as much as opposition supporters dislike to hear it.

You add in the home ground and new stadium, they have made the most of the opportunities presented to them this past decade.
In essence, blame the AFL as they are the ones who continue to change off field policies and if you have smart people employed at clubs, they identify future needs accordingly.

Geelong will always attract elite talent from other clubs. This will ensure they remain relevant as much as opposition supporters dislike to hear it.

You add in the home ground and new stadium, they have made the most of the opportunities presented to them this past decade.
In essence, blame the AFL as they are the ones who continue to change off field policies and if you have smart people employed at clubs, they identify future needs accordingly.
Elite talent means stuff all if you don't have the right management at the top along with the right fit environment.

If you mismanage your talent you don't get the best out of them.

You guys must be tired of other clubs/supporters looking at Geelong plotting the downfall
Honestly, I started following footy properly in 1993 and can only pinch myself at how lucky I've been.

Grew up with a team that was great to watch, but couldn't land a flag - and honestly, I think that was actually good for me, made it better when it actually happened.

Got to watch possibly the most dominant side in living memory in 07/08, got to watch two of the greatest footballers to ever pull on a boot, got to watch more flags in 15 years than I almost might have the right to expect in a lifetime. Seriously, my best mate follows Essendon and she's not liked these last two decades.

Elite talent means stuff all if you don't have the right management at the top along with the right fit environment.

If you mismanage your talent you don't get the best out of them.

Geelong will always have good people at the top.
Their succession plans are years lying in wake. Wouldn't be surprised Nigel Lappin has been given a verbal agreement to be our next coach when Scott decides to hand over the reigns.

Geelong will always have good people at the top.
Their succession plans are years lying in wake. Wouldn't be surprised Nigel Lappin has been given a verbal agreement to be our next coach when Scott decides to hand over the reigns.
I hope they're actually lying in wait and not dead already. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I highly, highly doubt this. It's bad management - you don't restrict yourself to just the candidates you know when you're looking for a head coach.

We faced the same question at the end of 2010, and wound up going external with Chris Scott, over an extremely qualified internal candidate in Ken Hinkley.

I highly, highly doubt this. It's bad management - you don't restrict yourself to just the candidates you know when you're looking for a head coach.

We faced the same question at the end of 2010, and wound up going external with Chris Scott, over an extremely qualified internal candidate in Ken Hinkley.

Even just - maybe I'm out of the loop - I can't recall Lappin's name regularly coming up as a candidate whenever a senior vacancy comes up, like it has with Caracella, like it is with King now, like it did with Hinkley, McCartney and many others over the journey.

Maybe he's content being an assistant? Maybe he'll move into a Director of Coaching role? I can appreciate that. It wouldn't be for everyone.

Even just - maybe I'm out of the loop - I can't recall Lappin's name regularly coming up as a candidate whenever a senior vacancy comes up, like it has with Caracella, like it is with King now, like it did with Hinkley, McCartney and many others over the journey.

Maybe he's content being an assistant? Maybe he'll move into a Director of Coaching role? I can appreciate that. It wouldn't be for everyone.
Scott has mentioned a few times that he's just not interested in senior coaching. He's ready to go but doesn't want to live that life.

It has occurred to me recently that one thing being in the upper echelon does is make forward planning way more easier.

I sometimes think that Geelong (and Sydney) are making decisions with three years' ahead in mind, whereas a lot of middling teams are thinking about next year only.

Yeh that's a good point.
There is sometimes talk internally about Lappin's overall influence on the club. Particularly his work in mentoring new players. If you remember back a while, Brendan McCartney was critical during his time with the club.
Fast forward many years later and he was not quite the senior coach the Western Bulldogs had hoped.

Yeh that's a good point.
There is sometimes talk internally about Lappin's overall influence on the club. Particularly his work in mentoring new players. If you remember back a while, Brendan McCartney was critical during his time with the club.
Fast forward many years later and he was not quite the senior coach the Western Bulldogs had hoped.
I reckon he copped a bit of a bum steer at the Dogs in some ways - coaches need a little luck, and a little time.

Scott has mentioned a few times that he's just not interested in senior coaching. He's ready to go but doesn't want to live that life.

I don't blame him. I reckon a lot of people on here would look at their own jobs and what the big wigs get paid, what they have to do to get that title and that salary and say "Eff that, I'm pretty happy where I am."

IMG_1234.jpeg

Hmmm that’s weird. I see players in there that Geelong drafted and both were outside first round picks.

Oh right, silly me…West Coast academy and Werribee did all the development…how could I be soo stupid! Evil Cats just grabbing players they didn’t put any time or effort in.

Pathetic club!

Roos - Longmire
Roos - Goodwin

Both instances of hiring within and it working.
Longmire - absolutely. Not sure about the second example there. Given the Dees list, they have significantly underperformed under Goodwin, and the club is falling apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back