Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowes was big in some important moments which was great to see, he has been an absolute steal. Bowes, Stengle, Bruhn great recruiting from the trade team and the players for port we got rid of to make space for them where on display as well!
Also thought that Humphries showed some poise beyond his years. They were a couple of plays in that second qtr when game was right in the balance where he unnervingly hit targets. Composure like that is gold in a 10 game player

For the few left that are pushing for Hawkins to replace Neale I think they should watch Dixon’s performance last night. Both to me have gone one season too many. I don’t want Hawkins to be embarrassed as Dixon was last night.

Neale in any case did the job and has developed his forward craft over the season. He’s mobile and normally a good set shot. He’s importantly gaining in confidence and last nights game should tell him he’s up to this level now.

9 marks, 2 goals for Neale in his 1st Final.
Excellent return.
Been really well developed by the club, but lots of credit to the big cowboy, has the physical tools, the work ethic and has shown commendable patience.

Like this clickbait article?

Very generous of Neale. Not sure I’d be as charitable. In fact I’d be pissed if Hawkins replaced him now. Dare say it was just for the media though. Privately I’d be surprised if he really felt that way.

That was the best we have played since 2022 and probably the only true 4 quarter performance since.

Top 5 if we were picking would be ****ing hard but ill give it a go

Holmes
Danger
J Henry
Stengle
Mannagh

Not one player had a bad game some weren't really influential but none were bad

Some thoughts on players not in my top 5

Neale was very good all night and should of had 3 goals
Humphries is a ****ing star not in the making a ****ing current star
Miers just did what Miers does and kicked some goals
Close my god what a man he almost does the perfect thing with every disposal congrats to game 100
Mullin was good had some good plays and not bad ones nicely done
Bews was probably our weakest link but still played with the heart we all know he has

Hawkins hasn't taken 9+ marks in a game since r7 last year vs Essendon, when he kicked 8. The most he took this year is 6. Not to mention all the packs that Neale crashed to bring the ball to ground, which Hawkins is physically unable to do these days.

Hawkins has been my favourite player for a decade, but Neale has booked his spot in the PF and, if we get there, the GF with last night's performance. He was marking it like Stewie Loewe - to do that in his first final, in a hostile environment is super exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd they include the sub in the "average speed" category.

Easier to maintain a 9.4km/h speed over a quart than over 4 quarters, I'd have thought.

The sub could come on 1min into the game and play four quarters though, so you can’t exclude it as a rule.

That was the best we have played since 2022 and probably the only true 4 quarter performance since.

Top 5 if we were picking would be ****ing hard but ill give it a go

Holmes
Danger
J Henry
Stengle
Mannagh

Not one player had a bad game some weren't really influential but none were bad

Some thoughts on players not in my top 5

Neale was very good all night and should of had 3 goals
Humphries is a ****ing star not in the making a ****ing current star
Miers just did what Miers does and kicked some goals
Close my god what a man he almost does the perfect thing with every disposal congrats to game 100
Mullin was good had some good plays and not bad ones nicely done
Bews was probably our weakest link but still played with the heart we all know he has
Good shout out on J Henry

9 marks, 2 goals for Neale in his 1st Final.
Excellent return.
Been really well developed by the club, but lots of credit to the big cowboy, has the physical tools, the work ethic and has shown commendable patience.

Possibly the best game I have seen him play. He did what he had to. Beat a mediocre opponent. Took marks. Kicked the goals he should have. I like his trajectiry. Im still not sure he will ever be the number 1 forward but by the time he has played 7o games..he is going to be something quite handy.

As good as the win was … , and it was a great win...Id not be getting to carried away. I cant imagine us getting the sort of looks we got V Port if we have been playing a Ross Lyon side. A lot of our flaws were covered by their flaws….

That smelled like a coach killer. Unless Ken can turn lead into gold this week ..Id be surprised to see him at Port next year.

Really we should have won by over 100. There are some guys on our list that look to have huge upside..and I hope they can see that if they just add a reliabel conversion to their game it will only make them better. Not everyone can be like Danger and get to where he has despite his kicking.

Overall id say the best plus from the game … was the six finals debutants that now will have positive memories about finals ..and will carry that forward.

What we paid for Cameron ..and the results we have got for that probably will only encourage us to pay what ever for the right player in the future. Get the player you want ..and. the cost will be tied into performance. I cant remember the last time some said we paid too much. (even though he should he been free) ..

The clubs the right reign more often than not. If we trade more than we want for a player in the future to get the deal done..then so be it.

Is this the first time we have played away in the first final and won it? Seems different to our other flags years… although now we have it all there if we are good enough.

Spoke to an Adelaide friend (Geelong supporter) just now. The husband of her friend was having a prostate operation yesterday. Surgeon rang + asked him to come in earlier, as he wanted to go to the game
😹 😹 😹

Hawkins hasn't taken 9+ marks in a game since r7 last year vs Essendon, when he kicked 8. The most he took this year is 6. Not to mention all the packs that Neale crashed to bring the ball to ground, which Hawkins is physically unable to do these days.

Hawkins has been my favourite player for a decade, but Neale has booked his spot in the PF and, if we get there, the GF with last night's performance. He was marking it like Stewie Loewe - to do that in his first final, in a hostile environment is super exciting.

It's really no longer a conversation.
Neale's second efforts are precisely what we have been craving for years. Just wait until he begins clunking everything as he gets stronger.

Having said that, watch Hawk boot 7 goals in the VFL on Saturday 😁

I love the big fella, always have, always will, but I'm hoping he decides to help the kids out and politely declines if Scott comes knocking on his door.

Our forward structure looks far more agile, unpredictable and dangerous in his absence, and that's not a knock on Hawkins.

Hawkins doesn't move that well anymore, and his presence would cause the boys to just bomb it on his head, which is far too easily repelled.

I prefer the chaos that the movement of Cameron, Neale, Mannagh, Miers, Close and Dempsey creates.

Neale showed his versatility early in the game by being a roaming CHF - got plenty of it early and enabled Jezza to play closer to goal where he can , and was , a nightmare.
Neale had 2 : 2 but should have had 3 : 1 - that's a bloody good game considering the smalls di most of the damage overall.

If anyone wants a laugh, have a read of Fox Footy's player ratings:

• 4 Geelong players with a rating of 4 or lower, plus you can add Tuohy who they gave an N/A to make it 5
  • 2 further players rated only at a 5
  • Port with 7 players rated at 6 or higher

And for Port that included the 8 disposal, 1 goal & 2 goal assist player Willie Rioli rated at a 6:
15. Willie Rioli
He ran riot against the Cats earlier this season for his 4.3, and looked lively early doors despite getting little ball. Was labelled as ‘dangerous’ by Leigh Montagna alongside McEntee up forward, but a lack of opportunity really cost him a chance to build on his momentum in the second half. Despite the lack of opportunity, still had his moments after half time - highlighted by a cheeky goal assist for Burgoyne in the last quarter. 6
Meanwhile, Jed Bews who played on him for the night & kept him quiet was only rated at a 4:
24. Jed Bews
Bews never puts up huge statistical numbers, but he plays a crucial role in curtailing the influence of opposition small forwards. Spent time on the likes of Willie Rioli and Francis Evans. 4

And don't get me started on the BS write-up on Scratcher
33. Shannon Neale
Competed well in the air to give his midfielders something to kick to but will no doubt face a nervous wait ahead of the preliminary final, with veteran Tom Hawkins set to feature in the VFL this weekend. Took nine marks and kicked 2.2. 5

Neale doesn't have to be the match winner off his own boot, what he does have to do is play his role. Last night he finished with:
  • 9 disposals from an equal team high 9 marks (it's already been pointed out that Tom has a season high 6 marks)
  • He kicked 2.2, and on another night that could have been 3.1 or 4.0; the last time Tom hit the scoreboard 4 times in a match was round 3 when he kicked 4.1 versus Hawthorn in game 350

It may not have been the perfect game from Scratcher, but he damn near played his role to perfection - and when you've got the likes of Cameron & Stengle up forward, alongside Henry, Mannagh, Miers & Close, he did what he needs to be doing

Some people seem to be looking for ways for Scratcher to fail so that there's this fairytale ending for Hawkins. How about we instead back in the #33, understand there'll be ups & downs but the upside he brings looks to present more opportunities for the team than what we saw from Hawkins in his last 9 games

Plus, what he showed last night would suggest that he's not overawed by the situation, and that he's ready to take advantage of things should the opposition decide to not respect him

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back