Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I am relatively confident in winning this game , and dare I say it the GF. For one reason.

All year it's seemed like the rest of the comp thinks we need Dangerfield, Cameron and Stewart to carry us to a flag. And yes, absolutely. We do need all those guys playing well. BUT.

All season it's seemed to me like it's actually been the younger contingent that's driven a lot of the wins. It's been Holmes, Dempsey, Humphries, Mannagh (not young but inexperienced). All four of those blokes stood up in the QF.

Then there's others like Shannon Neale who has been solid. Bowes and Bruhn played their roles perfectly against Port.

This is not a side that needs Patrick Dangerfield to carry them.

I am relatively confident in winning this game , and dare I say it the GF. For one reason.

All year it's seemed like the rest of the comp thinks we need Dangerfield, Cameron and Stewart to carry us to a flag. And yes, absolutely. We do need all those guys playing well. BUT.

All season it's seemed to me like it's actually been the younger contingent that's driven a lot of the wins. It's been Holmes, Dempsey, Humphries, Mannagh (not young but inexperienced). All four of those blokes stood up in the QF.

Then there's others like Shannon Neale who has been solid. Bowes and Bruhn played their roles perfectly against Port.

Yes it does need dangerfield. But it needs the inexperienced players as well.

I disagree with this. I think that without Dangerfield, we have serious issues controlling clearances, especially given our weakness in the ruck.

Dangerfield carried us across the line against both Fremantle and Adelaide in the last 2 months alone. Without him, we don't have enough star power in depth in the middle to win most games against top line opposition.

I'm usually glass-half-empty type, but I see plenty of things in our favour heading for this game, so if we are good enough, we should win.

Brisbane is nothing special this year.

We had the week off to refresh.

Brisbane travelling 2 weeks in a row without the week off.

Brisbane being bad enough to get 44 points down last week before GWS choked (again).

Our record over Brisbane (even this current Brisbane) has been pretty good.

Brisbane 1 and 1 at the MCG this year (lost to Pies last time there)... We are 4 and 2 at the G.

Lachie Neale clearly injured (this is actually huge).

Daniher has had his accurate game and now can go back to missing.

Scott has spoken all year about peaking at the right time and I usually don't think much of it but maybe (hopefully) that is exactly what we are doing... CS even said pre-match v port that he expected us to get better the longer the game went on and spoke with confidence... the team backed that confidence up.

All year I haven't thought we were good enough and then BANG! We belt Port and I get hope. Hope can hurt :(

We shouldn't have any excuses if we lose this one. If we are good enough, we win.

Next week V the Swans could be a different story but you gotta be in it to win it (i'd pay good money for a 2022 repeat).

Winning the flag this year would be ridiculous and I'm all for it happening.

Last edited:
I'm usually glass-half-empty type, but I see plenty of things heading in our favour heading into this game, so if we are good enough, we should win.

Brisbane being bad enough to get 44 points down last week before GWS choked (again).

Brisbane 1 and 1 at the MCG this year (lost to Pies last time there)... We are 4 and 2 at the G.

Scott has spoken all year about peaking at the right time and I usually don't think much of it but maybe (hopefully) that is exactly what we are doing... CS even said pre-match v port that he expected us to get better the longer the game went on and spoke with confidence... the team backed that confidence up.

All year I haven't thought we were good enough and then BANG! We belt Port and I get hope. Hope can hurt :(

We shouldn't have any excuses if we lose this one. If we are good enough, we win.

Next week V the Swans could be a different story but you gotta be in it to win it (i'd pay good money for a 2022 repeat).

Yep. This game is definitely ours to lose despite the hype around Brisbane.
Nice cold Melbourne night at the G please..

I'm usually glass-half-empty type, but I see plenty of things heading in our favour heading into this game, so if we are good enough, we should win.

One thing that did worry me about the Neale injury is that when they flicked Ashcroft in there he was brilliant. That kid is amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will counter that their star players like Joe and Hipwood often goes missing and that really affects their gameplan
Hipwood i agree but not joe. He is a huge big time player and thrives in finals.

Its probably worth discussing also that our A graders are heavily skewed to our forward line and backline. With the only one in our midfield bein Dangertield what is 34yo. Brisbane have a good spread across the field.

I think the simple way this will play out will be if geelong can be 50-50 in midfield, we will win as our small forwards and transition game will get ontop.

If neale dunkley ashcroft mcluggage get a hold of us and get breakaway quality stoppages we are in the sort of trouble we had during that losing streak mid year.

I back us to beat anyone if the midfield battle is 50/50 as we have the league covered pound for pound defence and forward match ups.

Loving your optimism. Not feeling it myself, but loving the read of it.

Looked like a sprained ankle in the last qtr I think? Just depends how well he recovers from it and how much it’ll impact him this week I guess
He did an interview on it on SEN this morning. He's been carrying and injury and they just jab him with pain killers. With the pain killers working it's not an issue really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back