Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as the win was … , and it was a great win...Id not be getting to carried away. I cant imagine us getting the sort of looks we got V Port if we have been playing a Ross Lyon side. A lot of our flaws were covered by their flaws….

That smelled like a coach killer. Unless Ken can turn lead into gold this week ..Id be surprised to see him at Port next year.

Really we should have won by over 100. There are some guys on our list that look to have huge upside..and I hope they can see that if they just add a reliabel conversion to their game it will only make them better. Not everyone can be like Danger and get to where he has despite his kicking.

Overall id say the best plus from the game … was the six finals debutants that now will have positive memories about finals ..and will carry that forward.

What we paid for Cameron ..and the results we have got for that probably will only encourage us to pay what ever for the right player in the future. Get the player you want ..and. the cost will be tied into performance. I cant remember the last time some said we paid too much. (even though he should he been free) ..

The clubs the right reign more often than not. If we trade more than we want for a player in the future to get the deal done..then so be it.

Is this the first time we have played away in the first final and won it? Seems different to our other flags years… although now we have it all there if we are good enough.
Thankfully Ross isn't coaching a finals worthy team.

Gotta be in it to win it and if we bring that level of intensity we can get over the remaining finalists.

If anyone wants a laugh, have a read of Fox Footy's player ratings:

• 4 Geelong players with a rating of 4 or lower, plus you can add Tuohy who they gave an N/A to make it 5
  • 2 further players rated only at a 5
  • Port with 7 players rated at 6 or higher

And for Port that included the 8 disposal, 1 goal & 2 goal assist player Willie Rioli rated at a 6:
15. Willie Rioli
He ran riot against the Cats earlier this season for his 4.3, and looked lively early doors despite getting little ball. Was labelled as ‘dangerous’ by Leigh Montagna alongside McEntee up forward, but a lack of opportunity really cost him a chance to build on his momentum in the second half. Despite the lack of opportunity, still had his moments after half time - highlighted by a cheeky goal assist for Burgoyne in the last quarter. 6
Meanwhile, Jed Bews who played on him for the night & kept him quiet was only rated at a 4:
24. Jed Bews
Bews never puts up huge statistical numbers, but he plays a crucial role in curtailing the influence of opposition small forwards. Spent time on the likes of Willie Rioli and Francis Evans. 4

And don't get me started on the BS write-up on Scratcher
33. Shannon Neale
Competed well in the air to give his midfielders something to kick to but will no doubt face a nervous wait ahead of the preliminary final, with veteran Tom Hawkins set to feature in the VFL this weekend. Took nine marks and kicked 2.2. 5

Neale doesn't have to be the match winner off his own boot, what he does have to do is play his role. Last night he finished with:
  • 9 disposals from an equal team high 9 marks (it's already been pointed out that Tom has a season high 6 marks)
  • He kicked 2.2, and on another night that could have been 3.1 or 4.0; the last time Tom hit the scoreboard 4 times in a match was round 3 when he kicked 4.1 versus Hawthorn in game 350

It may not have been the perfect game from Scratcher, but he damn near played his role to perfection - and when you've got the likes of Cameron & Stengle up forward, alongside Henry, Mannagh, Miers & Close, he did what he needs to be doing

Some people seem to be looking for ways for Scratcher to fail so that there's this fairytale ending for Hawkins. How about we instead back in the #33, understand there'll be ups & downs but the upside he brings looks to present more opportunities for the team than what we saw from Hawkins in his last 9 games

Plus, what he showed last night would suggest that he's not overawed by the situation, and that he's ready to take advantage of things should the opposition decide to not respect him

I guess if you have to over rank the spud Rioli, you have to underrank the guy who shut him down.

What an embarrassing article

I'm still seeing comments like:
  • we must play Hawkins
  • Hawkins can be a game changer
  • Hawkins is a big game player
  • Apparently Hawkins can even kick goals from 60m 🤨

If we remove the emotion & sentiment from the decision, can anyone give one valid, objective reason as to how the Hawkins we've seen in 2024 makes us a better team compared with what we've seen from Neale this season

I have to admit I thought Sav did well dragging Henry away from the forward line and he did some solid marking around the ground …the problem and much like JHF is that he did nothing when he did get it
Yeah but that's fine. Dragging CBF* away leaves more space for the smalls to work in.

*Collingwood's Best Forward/Can't Be Farked

Mannagh was unbelievable tonight. He is so strong on the ball, tackles hard, runs all night, clever unorthodox up and under loopy kicks which move fast (like reverse miers), really clever where he puts the ball, and a super strong finisher. Absolutely unbelievable a guy whose played a less than 10 games playing in a high pressure final away from home.
How good could he actually get ?
To be fair, Mannagh is a VFL player and Port are a VFL side...

Nah just kidding he was PHENOMENAL. Doesn't look phased. Doesn't look off the pace. Doesn't look arrogant. He's got his opportunity and he's grabbing it with both hands and booting it through the big sticks

I guess if you have to over rank the spud Rioli, you have to underrank the guy who shut him down.

What an embarrassing article

I know that some defenders like Stewart, Humphries and even Guthrie have shown a regular ability to rack up disposals, but that's not every defender nor is it their roles

If a defender is selected primarily for a defensive, shut down role, then what I want to see is how they go in that role - disposals collected after that are a bonus

So when I'm rating the games of Bews & Kolodjahnij from last night, they both stood up defensively which was their primary focus, and were barely beaten at the contest - their games were well above a 4/10

• we must play Hawkins

If we remove the emotion & sentiment from the decision, can anyone give one valid, objective reason as to how the Hawkins we've seen in 2024 makes us a better team compared with what we've seen from Neale this season

Nope. In fact I think our forward line has functioned better overall in his absence.

I get that Port Adelaide were terrible last night but we were fantastic in our forward line.

I’m not saying he didn’t I’m saying sav’s movements and efforts around the ground wasn’t as bad as it’s being made out to be imo

Just ineffective

This is literally Sav in a nutshell though.

I never rated him as a Cat and last night made me happy he's not with us anymore

Has always looked like he could be good, but just hasn't been able to deliver.... ....just ineffective

• we must play Hawkins

Agree - there was a time when we could have looked at all 3 in the same team but that bird has flown.
Cameron and Neale as the talls allows us to add Mannagh with OH as the 3rd hybrid tall - that's a far better and balanced structure than substituting Tom for Neale or playing him as well as Neale/Cameron.
Tom is an absolute legend but father time has come calling.
Neale has just turned 22 , his potential is super exciting and he has earnt his spot well and truly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't watch most of the game. How did that happen? Anyone care to write me a brief breakdown? 😁
Suggest you prepare an antipasto plate, open a bottle of fine wine + watch the replay

Spifflication, but brutal and lingering..

Brutal because a heavy loss to the Cats is more demoralising because we demolish their vaunted strengths (like Port's vaunted midfield yesterday).

Lingering because they lose more than one match (Lose one and lose another for free, if you will..) or in some cases, even their Coach.

Post-Geelong loss stats (i.e Games lost; Personnel lost (through injury or sacking)) would be interesting..
I went through this a few years back and it's something like 4 coaches have been sacked within 2 weeks of losing to Geelong.

This is damning - Port had the top 5 for offensive work rate, but no one in the top 5 for defensive work rate. Front runners?

View attachment 2102365
View attachment 2102366
I'd say it's unsurprising the two are inversely correlated because they are referring to the same part of the ground (i.e., our defensive part of the ground = their offensive part of the ground).

Maybe just as simple as the ball is in their forward half/our defensive half for much less of the game, meaning it's easier to maintain a higher average, for both respective teams. Or when it went it there, it generally went back out quickly meaning our defenders and their attackers moved at higher speeds (e.g., less F50 marks, 7 vs 22, or less F50 stoppages which would bring down everyone's average speed).

I love the big fella, always have, always will, but I'm hoping he decides to help the kids out and politely declines if Scott comes knocking on his door.

Our forward structure looks far more agile, unpredictable and dangerous in his absence, and that's not a knock on Hawkins.

Hawkins doesn't move that well anymore, and his presence would cause the boys to just bomb it on his head, which is far too easily repelled.

I prefer the chaos that the movement of Cameron, Neale, Mannagh, Miers, Close and Dempsey creates.
Joel said yesterday in the post-game that the performance of the team last night showed why he knew he had to step aside.

I'd like to think Hawk is of the same mindset.

Would be incredibly tough on Neale to miss now, this is almost 2011-esque Hawkins arrival.

As already mentioned, I think this year Hawkins needs to take the Mooney approach.
Was more impressed with him last night than I have in most other games this season, despite his stat sheet looking almost identical.

Thought they may have toyed with bringing Hawkins back if Nealle was anonymous in the first final, but unlikely to be dropped now. And more confident than I have been that he might turn into a good player in the long term.

I love that Scott shows his emotion when he's in the coaches box & that he's unapologetic for doing so

**** wanting coaches to be robots & straight faced all the time - let them enjoy themselves and watching their team

The day we stop seeing the emotion from Scott will be the day he knows it's time to walk away - but until then, we have the best coach in the league, and let's make sure we keep getting the right support around him because he has repeatedly shown he & his group know how to get the best out of this squad
He seems to still be really loving it.

As much as the new guys have reinvigorated the team and it's abilities, I reckon it's reinvigorated Scotty too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back