Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership hasnt been won yet , but you can only commentate on the finals game played so far

But after watching the full replay , that is one of the best exhibitions of precision kicking at top speed and precision one grab o/head marking and also play on at all costs outstanding link up play that ive seen

That was Geelong alah 1960s champagne type football but without the drop kicks and stab passes and just a pleasure to watch

The opposition was very very poor , but Geel cant play any better than that , and i think neutrals would have enjoyed watching it because the skills were so good and it was so entertaining/exciting to watch

In Stewart

Out , One very unlucky player , because no Geel player deserves to lose their spot after that performance
Only real knock on the game was the horrendous goal kicking.

This is also my fear.
A 2016 prelim type performance after winning week 1 would be crushing.
Yep. As good as we were, Port were equally as bad and pretty much gave up after half time. Therefore, they enabled us to look (undeservedly in view) like all out Champions.

I think many people (both fans and those in the media) are getting extremely carried away about the Cats, and seem to have already forgotten how we got completely towelled up against the Saints only 3 matches ago.

Not saying we can't win it, but I am extremely cautiously optimistic.

Yep. As good as we were, Port were equally as bad and pretty much gave up after half time. Therefore, they enabled us to look (undeservedly in view) like all out Champions.

I think many people (both fans and those in the media) are getting extremely carried away about the Cats, and seem to have already forgotten how we got completely towelled up against the Saints only 3 matches ago.

Agree with some but the media aren’t really saying anything about us at all.
It’s currently all about Hawthorn and Sydney. Apparently the Hawks are the favourites to win the flag and the Swans just pulled off the greatest finals win in the history of the game.

When Paddy plays like he did against port, explosive and daring yet playing within himself and not trying to be superman (altho he did do that in 1 passage early...) he's a brilliant player who turns us from a possible contender to just about favourite for the flag.
He was amazing in the 2022 finals series and looks set to recapture that form.
Danger is still close to the best mid in the game it's just he can't do it for as long as he used to and not for a whole year nonstop either

Non All Australians from the squad of 44, Holmes and Stengle, getting 12 coaches votes in an away preliminary final.

Moore, Blakey, Butters, Bontempelli, Treloar, Gulden, Warner not on the scoreboard.
Would like to see an “all finals” team. And see how it looks compared to AA

It’s currently all about Hawthorn and Sydney. Apparently the Hawks are the favourites to win the flag and the Swans just pulled off the greatest finals win in the history of the game.
And GWS are certainties to “swing around” now and make the Grand Final 🙄

I noticed in the coaches votes that one coach gave Blicavs 4 votes and the other coach gave him 0 votes. I wonder if that was Ken trying to take the heat off himself for picking Dixon...
Maybe a bit of an indication he expected more from Dixon. I don't think CS would have expected Dixon to impact, he'd have been licking his lips

As they say in life - " things are seldom as good as they seem and they are seldom as bad as they seem"

We were awesome in that game and yes , Port were poor.
The reasons are the interesting bit - I'm an optimist so my take is we brought 4 quarters of pressure footy , we were clean with first touch , took away their strengths and defended the ground superbly.
That game was eerily similar to the 22GF - we got in their heads , never let up ( Dog hungry) and put manic pressure on the ball carrier and the next possession.
It's a huge ask to do this twice in a row from now but you never know with this Club.....

The elephant in the room is Scott and our coaching group - we plan meticulously and when the players buy in and execute we are extremely difficult to play against. This is our One Wood in my opinion, that and our versatility.

How awesome is it to be a Cats Supporter !!!!

I noticed in the coaches votes that one coach gave Blicavs 4 votes and the other coach gave him 0 votes. I wonder if that was Ken trying to take the heat off himself for picking Dixon...

Nah I'd put money on it being Scott. He loves Blicavs and normally key defenders getting votes is because of a structural role they played well which he would understand.

He was superb although I might've had J Henry just ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is great. The less said about us the better. 16 days between games does dilute any momentum or form we had, although many of our team will benefit from the week off.
Just getting to the Prelim is huge imho, and I can live with a loss against Lions or GWS- both these teams I rate highly, and I think they will be desperate for that elusive flag.
We are certainly capable of winning, but anything goes this season- no such thing as an upset.

I think it’s a fallacy. King is generally very complimentary of the cats in my opinion.
There's been a bit of a change in King this season and not just in regards to Geelong. One of the few to call a spade a spade in regards to Port and very complimentary of Chris Scott in particular.

I think it’s a fallacy. King is generally very complimentary of the cats in my opinion.

Kingy has undeniably been deathriding us for 12-14 years, whether it’s anything to do with a grudge for making him look stupid in 2011 or year after year he just genuinely believes that ‘this is finally the year’ is up for debate; I suspect it’s the latter as I don’t believe MOST media figures are that immature and more likely he just does the sums each year and says ‘well sooner or later the Cats have to drop so I’ll keep betting on it until they do.’

But I will say this for him - whenever we front up and do what we are doing now, he acknowledges it. He’s very forthright in pointing out what we as a supporter group know but a lot of people ignore - the Cats always front up and you know what you’re going to get and they make you beat them.

As they say in life - " things are seldom as good as they seem and they are seldom as bad as they seem"

We were awesome in that game and yes , Port were poor.
The reasons are the interesting bit - I'm an optimist so my take is we brought 4 quarters of pressure footy , we were clean with first touch , took away their strengths and defended the ground superbly.
That game was eerily similar to the 22GF - we got in their heads , never let up ( Dog hungry) and put manic pressure on the ball carrier and the next possession.
It's a huge ask to do this twice in a row from now but you never know with this Club.....

The elephant in the room is Scott and our coaching group - we plan meticulously and when the players buy in and execute we are extremely difficult to play against. This is our One Wood in my opinion, that and our versatility.

How awesome is it to be a Cats Supporter !!!!
I'm disappointed to see so much kudos for Geelong's final AFL 3rd ladder position and Thursday night's Qualifying final dominate win was mainly attributed to the genius of Chris Scott and although Scotty has done an amazing job, it's really been the likes of Max Holmes, Ollie Dempsey, Shaun Mannagh, Lawson Humphries, Tanner Bruhn, Jack Bowes, Shannon Neale, etc (of which they all have literally come from left-field) that have been driving this club, along with a fit and revitalised Danger but basically we would be nowhere without this young &/or AFL inexperienced group. What they have achieved this year is nothing short of remarkable, especially in the back-half of season. GO CATS !!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back