Geelong - have to trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Bomber just said in the post game press conference the cats have salary cap issues - in a nutshell will need to trade away players for picks and develop kids again. He is looking forward to this next phase etc.

So who could trade bait. And picks are what they are after, not players (non base payment ones anyway).

It would have to be players who are on a little bit of coin, obviously. So no obvious delistings.

Wojinski? One of their small forwards?

Cant see them letting one of their blue chip go for a stack of picks.

Would mind Nathan Djuerkka if he came in the typical Geelong salary cap trade.

Would give them Pick 52 for him.

IF they have salary cap issues it has to be players who are on a bit.

But lets say Mooney, Milburn and Harley retire, or two of. I would think theat frees up a bit of cash.

You would think Blake could be let go for the right price. Wojak maybe stokes?

Taylor, Hawkins and Selwood would be up for pay rises, so they could be targeted.

considering harley, milburn, mooney will be retiring by the end of next season.

they could let woj, david johnson and kane tenace go.

lonergan and stokes should be trade bait.

might aswell trade a few of their players for half decent picks, so that they wont be down the bottom for long and have to rebuild, and still keep those key players like ablett, selwood, bartell, johnson, chapman etc.

IF they have salary cap issues it has to be players who are on a bit.

But lets say Mooney, Milburn and Harley retire, or two of. I would think theat frees up a bit of cash.

You would think Blake could be let go for the right price. Wojak maybe stokes?

Taylor, Hawkins and Selwood would be up for pay rises, so they could be targeted.

Selwood aint going anywhere, future club captain and champion.

It would be most likely the fringe players who've been around for a little
Looking at guys like Kane Tenace, David Johnson, Josh Hunt, Tom Lonergan, David Wojcinski

Geelong are in a tricky situation is some respects. Their best 22 is so good that plenty of young guys have had limited opportunities and a couple may wither on the vine. I think there will be a clearout on some level.

My guess is Harley will pull the pin. Dual premiership captain is better way to be remembered than a guy who went one season too long. Wojo too? Hunt will be back.

Of the guys mentioned here Tenace, Johnson and Lonergan (along with Mumford, Gamble, Gillies, Djerkurra) played in Geelong's VFL final loss. One game I know, but here's what I reckon.

Gamble is the only one who out and out looked an AFL footballer. Mumford will be good but he is a year away from being a solid contributor.

Tenace, Johnson, Lonergan are done. Lonergan may find another home but I
would be staggered if you ever saw Tenace or Johnson on an AFL field again.

Djerkurra just went. Looks like he is carrying a couple of kilos too many.

Gilles I didn't mind. Worth developing.

Bad time to be trading. Still as Carlton is showing. Some clubs will let good picks go if the player is quality. Doubt anyone will let go early picks for fringe players. Fringe at Geelong could equal best 22 elsewhere though I suppose like Prismall.

Ablett will never, repeat never, leave Geelong.
Even if you have your fantasies ( and by God you need then barracking for Essendon) of such phantastical proportion, please keep them to yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with two of our highest paid players on half price in scarlett and ottens now on the veterans list, their wont be any issues, and from what i have heard it is only selwood they need to sign up, the rest have all had their contracts dealt with, and he is as loyal a geelong boy as anyone you could meet, if selwood leaves, i will shave myself down below, place an ice block over my member for 2 hours, and then streak down chappel street naked at 1am, no chance in this world he would leave geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - have to trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back