Geelong loses by $600,000 by the AFL Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Denno said:
Exactly, you say they should have in theory, which basically means because Essendon did, everyone else must. There are no hard and fast rules. Just because Essendon and other clubs have been stupid enough to pay huge, backloaded contracts to overrated players at inflated prices, and keep tacking on performance bonuses year after year (meaning there is a blowout eventually), doesn't mean all clubs follow the same rule.

Yes - it does raise the question about the salary cap - why are some clubs so inept?

Woewodin doesn't count. You're only paying around half his salary (good work Melbourne). Then again, he is only half a player.......

HA? Think you missed the point. Brisbane have a SCC that no one else has that they clearly do not need and have used to retain a superior list than other clubs. The issue is about fairness not about how well they manage their cap ....

im sick and tired of everyone saying how brisbane get an extra $600,000. get over it. i hardly ever hear anyone go on about how sydney get way over one MILLION extra. ill tell you what? the majority of you suffer from "TALL POPPY SYNDROME!" this is when people want the champion to lose because they are sick and tired of the champion winning. if they are champions dont u think they deserve it? just remember half those players took pay cuts to stay there, they are not earning millions like the bucklys and koutas of the game. you all listen too much to people like eddie maguire. you all better get used to it because brisbane is about to win their 4th flag this saturday! :D
aka can get the four finger salute ready! :)

Maybe someone can clear these points up for me:

1.My understanding is that the Lions are not GIVEN any money but are allowed to spend an extra $600,000 of their own.

2. Some Victorian teams receive handouts just to survive so therefore wouldn't be able to spend it even if allowed.

3.These arguments started after the first Grand final win with complaints that it was the extra cap allowance that enabled the win but assuming the allowance was used completely in that year wouldn't keeping 22 premiership players be as hard relatively speaking ? I mean as no extra money would be available to meet the new demands/expectations ?

4.If the allowance enables the stars to be kept at the Lions shouldn't the bottom 15 players on the list have been easy to pick up at a bargain price by the other clubs ? yet who has left that the Lions didn't get a good deal on ?

These are serious question on my behalf as I continue to read these arguments yet cannot help but think that apart from the first year when you are suddenly allowed to spend more money and you could in theory go out and buy players ( well 1 star or 2 good players ) the extra allowance would only be helpful as a retention tool for a team that has a large percentage of players that if earning the same money may prefer to return to the state they grew up in ? As a Crows fan I have no problem with this allowance and think that all players playing in a state that didn't grow up in should be compensated, maybe this can be done by the AFL so that the club doesn't get the blame

Ok these are just of my thoughts on the matter, carry on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong loses by $600,000 by the AFL Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back