Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 93 44.3%
  • Dusty

Votes: 122 58.1%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 64 30.5%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 59 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:

Don't forget us ;)

Prelim appearances from Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood since 2005.

2005 = Sydney
2006 = Sydney
2007 = Geelong, Collingwood
2008 = Geelong
2009 = Geelong, Collingwood
2010 = Collingwood, Geelong
2011 = Geelong, Collingwood
2012 = Sydney, Collingwood
2013 = Geelong, Sydney
2014 = Sydney
= Geelong, Sydney
2017 = Geelong
2018 = Collingwood
2019 = Geelong, Collingwood
2020 = Geelong
2021 = Geelong
2022 = Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood
2023 = Collingwood
2024 = Geelong
Not going to lie, I'm a little worried you guys missed the finals because it's been a long time since we won a flag without going through Collingwood on the way

Edit: I just checked and of our 10 flags, only 1931 and 1963 didn't involve a win over Collingwood

Last edited:
Don't forget us ;)

Prelim appearances from Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood since 2005.

2005 = Sydney
2006 = Sydney
2007 = Geelong, Collingwood
2008 = Geelong
2009 = Geelong, Collingwood
2010 = Collingwood, Geelong
2011 = Geelong, Collingwood
2012 = Sydney, Collingwood
2013 = Geelong, Sydney
2014 = Sydney
= Geelong, Sydney
2017 = Geelong
2018 = Collingwood
2019 = Geelong, Collingwood
2020 = Geelong
2021 = Geelong
2022 = Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood
2023 = Collingwood
2024 = Geelong

Didn't need to stop at '05 either. Geelong made the prelim in '04 too and Sydney in '03. If we're counting Collingwood, that includes '02 and '03 as well.

I think Geelong and Hawthorn have a mutual respect as well run clubs on and off the field.

Lots of clubs consider Geelong to be their rivals, but Geelong only think that about Hawthorn I reckon.

Glad we're unlikely to meet the Hawks this year :)

Exactly, there is only and always only will be one.

Teams like Brisbane and Pies and Blues and Tigers trying to manufacture rivalries with us….
It’s the Don Draper meme. “I don’t think about you at all”

Hawks are a fantastic club, love the way they go about it.
But they are also Piss and Shits and can go burn in hell <3

1000011148-png.2101859

It’s a very impressive record, the industry is often referred to as high performance and there’s a huge focus on flags but they are damn hard to win and this level of sustained success is outrageous in an 18 team comp with equalisation measures.

For what it’s worth, I think the location Geelong is in, the lifestyle that can support as well as Geelongs Coterie business connections help immensely with player attraction and retention but none of that matters if your coaching and development is rubbish. Geelongs coaching and development is elite, as is their talent identification with mature age players.

Irrespective of their results from here for them, another successful season.

Credit to them. That's why I consider our 2020 Premiership to be our most significant victory, especially against Geelong, a team that has historically got the better of us.

You can thank Shaun Grigg for coming in and forcing Cats to adopt a similar game plan to Richmond.
McRae did the same thing with Pies.

Richmond took it from Bevo and the Dogs scrappy style that moved away from complete kick/mark conservative game plans to 1 on 1 contested scrap football that relied on high pressure and ground ball wins

Good coaches adapt to the new style of footy that changes the game and put their own tweaks on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake.. the AFL are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot, trying to grow the game! Why would people from growth areas such as NSW, NZ and QLD want to follow the AFL when they know the sport revolves around Geelong?? The league is becoming too Geelong centric, and the issue needs to be fixed!

It's bad enough with the accusations of Victoria bias.. but the real issue is Geelong bias!
If it helps, I think Richmond is the best and biggest club EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There isn't anything extraordinary about the Cats, they just draft well, trade well and develop well. We are in a time of unparalleled shitness across the competition. It is making reasonable clubs look exceptional.
Their coach is pretty good at match day tactics too.

Still trying to figure out how they've fleeced $60m from the state government to upgrade Alphabet stadium, but Hawthorn have needed to start a Go Fund Me to finish off their new training base, despite also asking for assistance from the same government.
Google "Marginal Seat".

Still trying to figure out how they've fleeced $60m from the state government to upgrade Alphabet stadium, but Hawthorn have needed to start a Go Fund Me to finish off their new training base, despite also asking for assistance from the same government.
*40m.

20m will be funded by the club and private business.

Make no mistake.. the AFL are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot, trying to grow the game! Why would people from growth areas such as NSW, NZ and QLD want to follow the AFL when they know the sport revolves around Geelong?? The league is becoming too Geelong centric, and the issue needs to be fixed!

It's bad enough with the accusations of Victoria bias.. but the real issue is Geelong bias!

1. Set up competition with 18 teams
2. One of the sides wins a premiership once in the last decade
3. Oh the humanity
4. Government needs to stop their domination

Maybe just sit down mate

Geelong have a cultural advantage built on the back of their geographical location.

It's the only club with a small bubble country city with 99% Geelong supporters.

For as long as that's the case, they will never be down for long.
We lose as many as we gain on that geographical niche.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back