Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 92 44.2%
  • Dusty

Votes: 121 58.2%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 73 35.1%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 63 30.3%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 58 27.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Lol, Cats fan still angry at Tigers for all the finals thrashings has just realised to his horror injury ravaged Richmond move into pole position in the draft and all the concomitant benefits that brings in bargaining power. Admirable the way you have tried to spin this shocking-for-you news into some sort of a win.

Can't way to see the "At Least We Made It" Cats go through the finals trap door in typical style. :)
Tigers will be cellar dwellers for the foreseeable future. Bookmark it.

Who would I rather support? A team that is a perennial finals participant and has won the equal most premierships in the 21st Century, or a team that won the wooden spoon in 2007 when Geelong won its first of 4 premierships this century and is wooden spooner AGAIN while Geelng is still in the finals??

The demise of Richmond was as swift as the brief rise last decade!

Who would I rather support? A team that is a perennial finals participant and has won the equal most premierships in the 21st Century, or a team that won the wooden spoon in 2007 when Geelong won its first of 4 premierships this century and is wooden spooner AGAIN while Geelng is still in the finals??

The demise of Richmond was as swift as the brief rise!

That is only if you can't foresee much future. For those of us who can we can already see the rising tiger on the horizon, which must be a terrifying thought for Geeriatric fans. :)

Lol do't come crying to us in future years saying "but but but you guys had all the high draft picks" then.

Has anyone cried about it previously? One of your friends seems to have a major issue with any success our team has had and seems to want to excuse it all away by pointing to anything he can (father son picks, a home ground etc: you know, things every team has had access to).

Naturally the obvious response to this is ‘your club put its only recent success together across numerous drafts often with a lot of high picks accrued courtesy of being down the bottom of the ladder.’

It’s the system. That’s how it works. But if someone is going to try and discredit the achievements of one club then I think it is pretty normal that it will be pointed out to them that their own club owed much of its success to, in essence, being ordinary.

If you rise back up the ladder, good luck to you.

Huh? Mr Meow gave the definition. I’m agreeing with it.

And this thread is not over. It’s just a continuing thread to have banter, so it doesn’t end or anything.

But anyway like the Hawks supporter says, most people know you aren’t a dynasty. I’d argue if the order of dynasties went Lions, Hawks, Richmond then the Geelong team as the most recent they definitely wouldn’t have been considered.

People just wanted to have a comparison against the Lions 3 peat as they were the only AFL dynasty at the time and they thought hey 3 flags is enough I guess to put Geelong in the convo. But that’s become obsolete now. We have real AFL dynasties to compare them with. Better luck next time.

The "dynasty" that had like 16 players who played in the Lions' threepeat? The dynasty that barely managed to remain competitive for five years, let alone in contention. Against the 50+ premiership teammates of Joel Selwood? "Most people" struggle with the English language, clearly.

It will be renamed the sinking star if 15th in line 3rd year scared of body contact Dempsey Bradbury's it.
I don’t come here very often - usually to have a look at your posts…. Which by and large are logical (in an advocacy sort of way), sometimes humorous …. And then occasionally (like this post) you get pushed into an unnecessary comment that doesn’t suit your other posts, to try and win an argument

I always love it when posters resort to questioning young men’s courage in the contest - I imagine behind the keyboard is usually a fat (probably very) man who gets his workout typing…or a young skinny angry man who would balk at the shadow of that AFL player…. (I am sure you are neither and you have a genuinely held view that young Ollie is weak and overrated!)

In the end, awards are often won by people who might not win if someone else wasnt injured or suspended (or wasnt a midfielder!) - but that doesn’t make the winner any less deserving of praise in my view. It certainly doesnt change the record! Maybe Daicous would have one last year if not injured at end…but Neal will rightly be remembered as a multiple Brownlow great player.

In terms of rising star it is irrelevant conjecture as to whether Harley or Sam would have won….I love both of them as players and they will be superstar players. As I do nearly every other player who I expect to get a vote tomorrow night (the two Roo boys, Windsor, St Kilda boy, Wizard not so much!).

It is great to have them in the competition so us (fat) old boys can enjoy…for Ollie to be recognised in that group (assuming he wins) by an independent panel of experts is I suspect pretty special for him given the journey. The noise about being a “third year player” is also pretty much a distraction from haters…In the 30 years that the rule has existed I think he will be the first “third year” winner so it isn’t as if it is “unfair”. In fact the last decade it has been top 10 draft picks as winners.

He started this year having played 3 full games (2 before he was ready year 1 and 1 in a dead rubber last year) and would have not been thought of as in rising star frame - so I am happy to celebrate that a young kid can come from nowhere.

If someone else wins it as a surprise, equally happy.

The "dynasty" that had like 16 players who played in the Lions' threepeat? The dynasty that barely managed to remain competitive for five years, let alone in contention. Against the 50+ premiership teammates of Joel Selwood? "Most people" struggle with the English language, clearly.

What is your point here. The dynasty is 3 flags and period from the 1st flag to the last flag. Nobody cares what happens after. Geelong 4th flag in 2022 was to far away from 2011.

The demise of Richmond was as swift as the brief rise last decade!

I’d rather supporter a big club with more flags and 2 dynasties. But if you like mediocrity that’s fine, you do you.

I’d rather supporter a big club with more flags and 2 dynasties. But if you like mediocrity that’s fine, you do you.

I'm happy to announce Richmond has just equalled Fitzroy on the Wooden Spoon ladder. That is some feat. Since Geelong last won a spoon 66 years ago in 1958 Tigers have won 6. And between Richmond's last 2 wooden spoons Cats have won 4 premierships. Now that is dynastical by the Cats

I don’t come here very often - usually to have a look at your posts…. Which by and large are logical (in an advocacy sort of way), sometimes humorous …. And then occasionally (like this post) you get pushed into an unnecessary comment that doesn’t suit your other posts, to try and win an argument

I always love it when posters resort to questioning young men’s courage in the contest - I imagine behind the keyboard is usually a fat (probably very) man who gets his workout typing…or a young skinny angry man who would balk at the shadow of that AFL player…. (I am sure you are neither and you have a genuinely held view that young Ollie is weak and overrated!)

In the end, awards are often won by people who might not win if someone else wasnt injured or suspended (or wasnt a midfielder!) - but that doesn’t make the winner any less deserving of praise in my view. It certainly doesnt change the record! Maybe Daicous would have one last year if not injured at end…but Neal will rightly be remembered as a multiple Brownlow great player.

In terms of rising star it is irrelevant conjecture as to whether Harley or Sam would have won….I love both of them as players and they will be superstar players. As I do nearly every other player who I expect to get a vote tomorrow night (the two Roo boys, Windsor, St Kilda boy, Wizard not so much!).

It is great to have them in the competition so us (fat) old boys can enjoy…for Ollie to be recognised in that group (assuming he wins) by an independent panel of experts is I suspect pretty special for him given the journey. The noise about being a “third year player” is also pretty much a distraction from haters…In the 30 years that the rule has existed I think he will be the first “third year” winner so it isn’t as if it is “unfair”. In fact the last decade it has been top 10 draft picks as winners.

He started this year having played 3 full games (2 before he was ready year 1 and 1 in a dead rubber last year) and would have not been thought of as in rising star frame - so I am happy to celebrate that a young kid can come from nowhere.

If someone else wins it as a surprise, equally happy.

If Oliver Dampsquib ;) wins the award good luck to him. I am just striking pre-emptively to remind cats fans that the award won't mean he is the best young player in the game or anywhere near it.

His real cohort is 21yo's. He is the 10th highest rated 21yo in 2024 in the AFL based on official player ratings, and is in fact Geelong's 3rd highest rated 21yo based on average performance in 2024. And beneath him in those ratings are quite a few mainly taller players who would likely have a much higher trade value right now. Darcy, Andrew, Gibcus, Rachele, Owens, Amiss. So I do mean to put a dampener on things with Dempsey, just so you guys don't get too far ahead of yourselves about him and end up embarrassed.

And let's not forget there are also 6 x 19 & 20yo's rating higher than Dempsey this year.

So if by Rising Star we mean the 16th best performed 21yo or younger player and about the 40-50th highest trade value, then I think we are entitled to cast some shade on the cachet winning that award would have.

I'm happy to announce Richmond has just equalled Fitzroy on the Wooden Spoon ladder. That is some feat. Since Geelong last won a spoon 66 years ago in 1958 Tigers have won 6. And between Richmond's last 2 wooden spoons Cats have won 4 premierships. Now that is dynastical by the Cats

See sophisticated supporters care about flags not spoons.

I’ve been arguing a lot about how Geelong supporters thinking is generally backwards to the norm. This proves it.

Facts are:

13 v 10 flags

2 v 0 dynasties

3 in 4 v 3 in 5

We win

If Oliver Dampsquib ;) wins the award good luck to him. I am just striking pre-emptively to remind cats fans that the award won't mean he is the best young player in the game or anywhere near it.

His real cohort is 21yo's. He is the 10th highest rated 21yo in 2024 in the AFL based on official player ratings, and is in fact Geelong's 3rd highest rated 21yo based on average performance in 2024. And beneath him in those ratings are quite a few mainly taller players who would likely have a much higher trade value right now. Darcy, Andrew, Gibcus, Rachele, Owens, Amiss. So I do mean to put a dampener on things with Dempsey, just so you guys don't get too far ahead of yourselves about him and end up embarrassed.

And let's not forget there are also 6 x 19 & 20yo's rating higher than Dempsey this year.

So if by Rising Star we mean the 16th best performed 21yo or younger player and about the 40-50th highest trade value, then I think we are entitled to cast some shade on the cachet winning that award would have.

Oh good another lesson about Ratingz 😂😂

I’m surprised you aren’t running an online TAFE course on this very subject attended entirely by 3 chronic masturbators and half a dozen basement shut-ins who’s sole source of income is completing surveys and weekly prizes in European fantasy ice hockey leagues.

It’s very disappointing to know that a player we have no intention of trading has lower trade value than players we have no intention of trading for. Thanks for clearing that up; that’s a tremendous weight off all of our minds and frankly answers a question that at least 50,000 Cats fans had been waiting to have addressed for 6 months.

I just hope that come finals time, if Dempsey gets injured, we can slot a Player Rating into his jersey and get 2-3 goals out of them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been arguing a lot about how Geelong supporters thinking is generally backwards to the norm. This proves it.

Facts are:

13 v 10 flags

2 v 0 dynasties

3 in 4 v 3 in 5

We win
What would you put Richmond's underperformance in the 21st century down to? Little old Geelong with 4 premierships is already playing finals again while Richmond with just the 3 are the current wooden spooners. Joel Selwood alone has won more flags this century than the entire Richmond FC...

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Facts are:

13 v 10 flags

2 v 0 dynasties

3 in 4 v 3 in 5

We win

Yeah, and normal human beings are able to understand that being a non existent presence in any sort of competitive sphere for almost 4 decades kind of weakens your argument when you try and heap shit on anyone, particularly when the people you’re trying to heap shit on weren’t alive to see all these successes that you’re so emotionally attached to. You can enjoy them all you like. What the hell do we care about them.
I’ve spent 36 of 40 years of my life with your club being the joke of the entire competition. Why would that change in my eyes because you’re older than me?

Last edited:

Just more to go into our trophy cabinet, along with our 15 senior flags, all our reserves and u/19 flags and McLelland Trophies, our wheelchair flags(including the very topical 2024 title) our u/17 flags.....so don't worry, we will fit it in the cabinet there somewhere, buried beneath this plethora of titles. :)

Funny

I am so grateful that you care so much about me to make sure I don’t get embarrassed somehow. You must be a wonderfully good person to think of others like that.

I apologise as I thought you were coming across as a really grumpy jealous person who loved to put people down and didn’t get enjoyment about seeings kids do well. I got that wrong that you are indeed just a genuinely happy person who doesn’t want my ignorance to lead me astray. I will try to do better

I do laugh at every footy show that pleads for the Tigers to take "this opportunity of a lifetime " to stockpile all of these draftpicks and in the next segment berates the Kangaroos for their lack of competitiveness.

It's a cause and effect thing.

It is pretty funny all the pundits telling most recent dynasty list manager Blair Hartley how to manage a list BigFrizz.

How is Andy going these days?

How he’s ‘managed’ to turn it from what it was to what it is now in four years is almost miraculous in itself

Lol so it's the list manager's fault half our team has been injured every week.

If you think the list is no good, have a look at the clubs queueing up to give us first round draft picks for several of our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back