Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 95 42.2%
  • Dusty

Votes: 136 60.4%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 77 34.2%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 51 22.7%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 64 28.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
It’s almost like the rule change did sweet FA to Richmond and it was more their best players declined and weren’t replaced with players of the same calibre.

Not sure why Richmond supporters want to claim it was all down to the stand rule, almost seems as if they are talking down why they were good.
You don't get it, if we can go to Adelaide and beat Port without Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Rance, Martin and Houli (there was also a couple more missing) and win, what has players declining got to do with anything when we could win without them then?

It was about the system for Richmond. We had a lot of injuries in 2019 but stil did enough to make top 4 and win the flag, we win the flag in 2020 and then get told by the AFL that we can't play the way we used to anymore because the Handbaggers couldn't handle the heat. It would've been frustrating for our players knowing that there was more we could've did if were allowed to play our game.

Surely you agree that it's ridiculous for a Geelong supporter to say that Richmond couldn't adapt to not being able to play their way, lol why would Richmond want to play another way when Geelong had no answer to our way?

So the AFL knowing they couldn't tell 17 other teams to get out of the AFL kitchen if they couldn't handle the heat, had to turn down the heat, and this is special needs being met.

You know there is a reason Chris Scott figured out how to beat Richmond in 2021 and not before?

So now you see what happened, the AFL took our game out of our hands so the other teams could be more comfortable in the kitchen.

So who benefits from Richmond not being able to turn up the heat in the kitchen? Obviously not Richmond, because we were the only ones who could handle the heat.

Anyway, look at Carlton, one injury to Curnow and you f*** up your whole season lol!

Anyway, that's it for me for this thread, if you non-Richmond fans can't see that figuring out how to beat someone on your own is better than having your special needs met, then I can't help you.

You don't get it, if we can go to Adelaide and beat Port without Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Rance, Martin and Houli (there was also a couple more missing) and win, what has players declining got to do with anything when we could win without them then?

It was about the system for Richmond. We had a lot of injuries in 2019 but stil did enough to make top 4 and win the flag, we win the flag in 2020 and then get told by the AFL that we can't play the way we used to anymore because the Handbaggers couldn't handle the heat. It would've been frustrating for our players knowing that there was more we could've did if were allowed to play our game.

Surely you agree that it's ridiculous for a Geelong supporter to say that Richmond couldn't adapt to not being able to play their way, lol why would Richmond want to play another way when Geelong had no answer to our way?

So the AFL knowing they couldn't tell 17 other teams to get out of the AFL kitchen if they couldn't handle the heat, had to turn down the heat, and this is special needs being met.

You know there is a reason Chris Scott figured out how to beat Richmond in 2021 and not before?

So now you see what happened, the AFL took our game out of our hands so the other teams could be more comfortable in the kitchen.

So who benefits from Richmond not being able to turn up the heat in the kitchen? Obviously not Richmond, because we were the only ones who could handle the heat.

Anyway, look at Carlton, one injury to Curnow and you f*** up your whole season lol!

Anyway, that's it for me for this thread, if you non-Richmond fans can't see that figuring out how to beat someone on your own is better than having your special needs met, then I can't help you.

Geelong had no answer for your way? Except for halves, and three quarters of football at a time, or in some cases full games. Yeah it was the manning of the mark that cost us in the 2019 prelim and 2020 grand final, not one of the all time great players turning on some of the all time great finals performances. It was Richmond manning the mark too hard.

FMD.

Proof is in the eating of the pudding and in the arguments put forward by your cohorts. "The rule change emasculated" the team. If it wasn't the rule change how do you reconcile the decline of Richmond between 2020 and 2024? I know how I reconcile it. A team stuck in the past

In 2010 Collingwood spanked Geelong in the PF. In 2011 Cats beat Collingwood 3 times, the only team to defeat Collingwood that year. Coaches find ways to exploit weaknesses in teams. It happens, and Scott has proven to be the master of this. He has also changed Geelong's game style multiple times. Richmond simply never adapted. That's why Dimma departed

LOL

Rebuilds are not linear, success is not linear.
Rebuilding does not guarantee future success and to suggest so would be incredibly naive.

You could draft 3 flops and it keep you down the bottom for a decade+
You could draft the next Dusty and become a dynasty.

There is no guarantee.
This is the smartest thing posted on this hread since Saturday night.

Of course, same applies to Geelong.

Geelong had no answer for your way? Except for halves, and three quarters of football at a time, or in some cases full games. Yeah it was the manning of the mark that cost us in the 2019 prelim and 2020 grand final, not one of the all time great players turning on some of the all time great finals performances. It was Richmond manning the mark too hard.

FMD.
Ok then, this is my last comment in this thread.

What you don't understand PhatBoy is that the player manning the mark could previously apply pressure on the kicker and delay him from moving the ball on quicker, which is one of the other reasons the stupid looking rule was brought in.

Why couldn't coaches work out a way for their teams to move the ball quicker before the stupid rule, Richmond didn't have a problem?

This is the descrition from one the AFL experts when talking about Richmond during that glorious run,

"Then you see the brilliance in which they move the ball, the forward handball game."

“Giving up clearance advantage to the opposition, not getting consumed by having to win every ball, but when you win it, you’re gone."

“I think we should all just say thanks because for the best part of the last five to six years when they’ve been super strong, the game has been awful."

Why was the game awful? Because only one team could move the ball quickly against their opponents?

As a Richmond fan I don't care for being thanked, what I want is a game where coaches work out a way to beat the top team by not having their special needs met because the game was awful. It wasn't awful to me, but that's maybe because I only watched Richmond, a "super strong" side that loved turning up the heat in the kitchen.

Turning up the heat is the same as raising the fight, and you saw what happened in 2020 when we did that?

Interesting how many new participants we have in this thread in the past 24 hours. Shouldn't Richmond fans be more concerned with their real rivals, North and WCE?

I’m not a new participant, I’ve been in this thread before and you haven’t answered whether you would have counted the 2020 flag as “real” if Geelong had won it instead.

Ok then, this is my last comment in this thread.

What you don't understand PhatBoy is that the player manning the mark could previously apply pressure on the kicker and delay him from moving the ball on quicker, which is one of the other reasons the stupid looking rule was brought in.

Why couldn't coaches work out a way for their teams to move the ball quicker before the stupid rule, Richmond didn't have a problem?

This is the descrition from one the AFL experts when talking about Richmond during that glorious run,

"Then you see the brilliance in which they move the ball, the forward handball game."

“Giving up clearance advantage to the opposition, not getting consumed by having to win every ball, but when you win it, you’re gone."

“I think we should all just say thanks because for the best part of the last five to six years when they’ve been super strong, the game has been awful."

Why was the game awful? Because only one team could move the ball quickly against their opponents?

As a Richmond fan I don't care for being thanked, what I want is a game where coaches work out a way to beat the top team by not having their special needs met because the game was awful. It wasn't awful to me, but that's maybe because I only watched Richmond, a "super strong" side that loved turning up the heat in the kitchen.

Turning up the heat is the same as raising the fight, and you saw what happened in 2020 when we did that?

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you weren’t unbeatable. You even lost a final in one of your premierships - yes it wasn’t to us, but it was a defeat nonetheless. This wasn’t a system that nobody could get past. In 2019 you got beaten 6 times by 5+ goals.

You were unequivocally the best team, there has never, ever been any denial of that. But if you’re holding on to the fact that it was because of a rule rather than the ability of your players to simply be better than their opposition, then you’re selling your own players short.

I’m not a new participant, I’ve been in this thread before and you haven’t answered whether you would have counted the 2020 flag as “real” if Geelong had won it instead.
Absolutely not, it wasn't a real season of AFL football, it was a lightning cup

From my perspective of course it's real. I'm not one of these tossers like Meteoric Rise who claims, for example, that Geelong's 2022 premiership cannot be counted because the opposition was a "Division 2 team" whatever that meant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty rich considering they struggled to beat St Kilda in a GF with one of the worst lists ever to be assembled. I’d trade in that flag for a pre-season cup any day.

So I guess tigers fans will be gloating for about a week at most, but what happens then? The dynasty thing is getting old. Any new exciting ideas?
Probs trade Cumbo to you guys for a jar of vegimite so that the Pussies and Tiges fans can all have chuckle together when he plays hok handsies with the Box Hill boys.

Pretty rich considering they struggled to beat St Kilda in a GF with one of the worst lists ever to be assembled. I’d trade in that flag for a pre-season cup any day.
Did you actually watch football in 2009? The Saints were one of the best ever performed teams in the H&A. Cats and Saints were 13-0 coming into their R14 clash, and you claim the Saints were shit?

Saints % in 2009 was 155.7%. Compare that with Richmond 2017 - 118%; 2018 136.1% (when you finished on top in H&A); 2019 - 118.3%; and 2021 - 139%

You were unequivocally the best team, there has never, ever been any denial of that. But if you’re holding on to the fact that it was because of a rule rather than the ability of your players to simply be better than their opposition, then you’re selling your own players short.
Are these the same players the Geelong fans are saying couldn't adapt to a rule change?

What's really going on here is that you Geelong fans are selling our system short, and we know why that is.

Are these the same players the Geelong fans are saying couldn't adapt to a rule change?

What's really going on here is that you Geelong fans are selling our system short, and we know why that is.
Richmond had the worst season any team has had in the AFL era, no one's selling your system short, you've done that yourselves

21 losses. Yikes

Absolutely not, it wasn't a real season of AFL football, it was a lightning cup
It was the 17 game season that your leader PhatBoy wants, no easy draw that allowed the '22 premiers to make the top 4 in '24!

The 2020 flag really is the greatest flag of all time, made better because we were shitting ourselves at HT 🤣🤣🤣 and then turned up the heat, turning up the heat is the same as raising the fight, after 2020 we couldn't do that anymore, good for you, not for us.

That is not true. It's nice to cling to good memories, but like most teams that experience highs, they are followed by lows. Richmond supporters are the only people blaming the rule change.

Richmond supporters claim the rule change emasculated the team? I put it to you it was (a) a failure to adapt and change the game plan, and (b) a rapid decline in the playing list.

Just look at the 2017 team. 7 players left by 2024, and in 2025 you will be lucky if there are still 4 in the team. That's not a turnover caused by a rule change, unless you concede the retirees and departees left because they couldn't adapt?

It was the 17 game season that your leader PhatBoy wants, no easy draw that allowed the '22 premiers to make the top 4 in '24!

The 2020 flag really is the greatest flag of all time, made better because we were shitting ourselves at HT 🤣🤣🤣 and then turned up the heat, turning up the heat is the same as raising the fight, after 2020 we couldn't do that anymore, good for you, not for us.
Nice melt over a lightning carnival, 21 losses though, that must burn, no?

Richmond had the worst season any team has had in the AFL era, no one's selling your system short, you've done that yourselves

21 losses. Yikes
I was talking about our system before we were emasculated.

We had so many injuries this season and you're not even mentioning that, and there's a reason for that, because injuries didn't matter with our old system. But the fact is we were emasculated after 2020, and injuries impact our performances now, as we saw this season.

Probs trade Cumbo to you guys for a jar of vegimite so that the Pussies and Tiges fans can all have chuckle together when he plays hok handsies with the Box Hill boys.
Pardon, Can you please rephrase this?

Now I see why the cats posters are constantly replying to Richmond fans.

Like what this peasant has posted for example. Sir I have no Idea what this means.
Do all Tigers fans struggle with coherent sentences or is this person a outlier?

I was talking about our system before we were emasculated.

We had so many injuries this season and you're not even mentioning that, and there's a reason for that, because injuries didn't matter with our old system. But the fact is we were emasculated after 2020, and injuries impact our performances now, as we saw this season.
Emasculate derives from being masculine, emasculate means to make a man feel less masculine. You've got to stop telling everyone the rule change made Richmond footballers less masculine, LOL. It is embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back