VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I didn’t watch. Sounds like it was agonising. Shame the Bankers have dropped away so drastically. At least we are getting games into the younger players and no new injuries.

Couple of questions about the boys that might be borderline list -
  • did Frank show anything in midfield?
  • Stevens again big numbers. How is his disposal generally?

Also - how did Simpson go? Any chance for 22, before finals? (At his best, Sam is close to it IMO, but this season he’s starting too far back and probably ‘break glass’ depth, I assume).

Glad I didn’t watch. Sounds like it was agonising. Shame the Bankers have dropped away so drastically. At least we are getting games into the younger players and no new injuries.

Couple of questions about the boys that might be borderline list -
  • did Frank show anything in midfield?
  • Stevens again big numbers. How is his disposal generally?

Also - how did Simpson go? Any chance for 22, before finals? (At his best, Sam is close to it IMO, but this season he’s starting too far back and probably ‘break glass’ depth, I assume).
SS got better as the game went on. Looked to me to be our best, but also I was looking for him more than others. Not a single standout. Stevens had many insignificant stats.
Shocking conditions, and all (our) big blokes looked clumsy and inept as a result .
I was disappointed in Sav, but delivery to him was poor.
I only watch the VFL to check our listed AFL players, and to spot our next Tom Cat- Stewart, Atkins...and that could be Chalcraft- not sure which one, but looks a prospect.
Did not see Zac Williams- not sure if he played.

Last 6 games been terrible and I don't mind losing but we are getting smashed by teams below us with AFL listed players, not a good look

Our last 4 first quarters at VFL level - 2.8.20 to 19.11.125.

Any danger of the coach getting the players switched on from the opening bounce next week?

SS got better as the game went on. Looked to me to be our best, but also I was looking for him more than others. Not a single standout. Stevens had many insignificant stats.
Shocking conditions, and all (our) big blokes looked clumsy and inept as a result .
I was disappointed in Sav, but delivery to him was poor.
I only watch the VFL to check our listed AFL players, and to spot our next Tom Cat- Stewart, Atkins...and that could be Chalcraft- not sure which one, but looks a prospect.
Did not see Zac Williams- not sure if he played.
Thanks VDubs - appreciated.

If Sam can avoid more concussions or big injuries, think he’s got a spot in our 22 when Duncan, Selwood, Danger retire (presume next year or two).

I think Sav is getting hardly any decent delivery from mids. That, combined with windy, heavy suburban grounds, makes it immensely hard to get any rhythm. Having said that, Sav had fallen away from anything remotely like form. It must be pretty hard on his confidence. As I’ve said before, I hope he’s getting the support that we’d expect from our club.

Thanks VDubs - appreciated.

If Sam can avoid more concussions or big injuries, think he’s got a spot in our 22 when Duncan, Selwood, Danger retire (presume next year or two).

I think Sav is getting hardly any decent delivery from mids. That, combined with windy, heavy suburban grounds, makes it immensely hard to get any rhythm. Having said that, Sav had fallen away from anything remotely like form. It must be pretty hard on his confidence. As I’ve said before, I hope he’s getting the support that we’d expect from our club.
Always liked Simpson, (and Sav) so hoping there is a role for him this year, and that we keep him on our list- not sure where he sits contract-wise, but really lengthy recovery from concussion. Looked really up and about today.

An earlier post of mine said I bet the social media team make it look like Narkle played a good game given he kicked 2 goals in the last qtr.

I watched the whole game (at the ground freezing and grumpy!) and he really looked disinterested other than a handful of efforts (all of which were captured in the tweet) - which makes you more frustrated as he put that effort in all game he could help the younger guys develop and put himself forward for a premiership in case of emergency.

It is misleading IMO to portray he had a decent game just because he had a few highlights (when the game was lost)

Haven’t got the VFL players to compensate for the immaturity of the AFL list guys. They played the conditions way better too.

Need to look at bringing in more experienced players to the vfl list next year.

An earlier post of mine said I bet the social media team make it look like Narkle played a good game given he kicked 2 goals in the last qtr.

I watched the whole game (at the ground freezing and grumpy!) and he really looked disinterested other than a handful of efforts (all of which were captured in the tweet) - which makes you more frustrated as he put that effort in all game he could help the younger guys develop and put himself forward for a premiership in case of emergency.

It is misleading IMO to portray he had a decent game just because he had a few highlights (when the game was lost)

Narkle is gone at years end.

Aren’t Coburg a non affiliated vfl side?

Embarrassing to loose to them.
You are correct.

But they have more mature bodies plus, more importantly, they know how to play together. At the ground it was stark how well they played both with and then against the wind with a real plan. That required all being in the right position to switch etc. They looked very connected.

In contrast our team had zero connection. Very disappointing but maybe they have an out given they have 5-6 changes or more every single week

They have also lost any intensity in terms of something to play for

I am hopeful that next year they get a core group of mature VFL listed players (which Cats should be able to attract?) recognising that we will only ever have less than 10 (sometimes less than a handful) of AFL listed players - and all of those are young and inexperienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our last 4 first quarters at VFL level - 2.8.20 to 19.11.125.

Any danger of the coach getting the players switched on from the opening bounce next week?
Today however it was a 5-6 goal win so I was ok at qtr time. At half time however I was not happy!!

You are correct.

But they have more mature bodies plus, more importantly, they know how to play together. At the ground it was stark how well they played both with and then against the wind with a real plan. That required all being in the right position to switch etc. They looked very connected.

In contrast our team had zero connection. Very disappointing but maybe they have an out given they have 5-6 changes or more every single week

They have also lost any intensity in terms of something to play for

I am hopeful that next year they get a core group of mature VFL listed players (which Cats should be able to attract?) recognising that we will only ever have less than 10 (sometimes less than a handful) of AFL listed players - and all of those are young and inexperienced.
VFL for us is just a feeder for our AFL team at present. It could change once we drop out of contention, but not going to hold my breath about that.

VFL for us is just a feeder for our AFL team at present. It could change once we drop out of contention, but not going to hold my breath about that.
Understand. Same for other vfl clubs but I think they have better balance. Cats list much older which means we have more injuries and managed/rested players. Most afl clubs have a dozen and up to 18 in its vfl team each week. More importantly often half a dozen experienced players looking to get selected. Since the first few rounds We have had more than 10 twice I think (with a few senior players in that group) and both times they were good games against top teams. In the first few rounds where we saw Dempsey have stand out games and Mitch and scratcher they were supported by sone players now in best 22. Last dozen games not so much.
so whilst it is subservient to afl program I think they are hurting development of your afl draftees by not having more mature bodies each week. Maybe as you say it corrects when afl team has lower age profile and less injuries/maangeed

Need to look at bringing in more experienced players to the vfl list next year.

Being a aligned vfl team is hard to attract experiences players for the vfl squad as they become 2nd fiddle to the afl players.
This is regardless that they may be better and that’s even if they get a game as afl always come first.
Our best games this season have been when less afl players play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aren’t Coburg a non affiliated vfl side?

Embarrassing to loose to them.

Answer to the first question - yes

Answer to the second question - not really...

While we are an AFL affiliated VFL side, this season we haven't exactly been senior player strong in the VFL - the lowest tally of AFL listed players in our VFL team this season has been 3 (Rohan, Neale & Dahlhaus) in round 7, but spent most of the season with 6 or 7 listed senior players

And while we're now back up around double digits, it's a lot of inexperience within that group - our experience is from the likes of Dahlhaus, followed by Ratugolea, Narkle & now Simpson

Of course winning would be the ideal outcome, but our VFL team is more about development - though hopefully for next season we get some more experience out on the field to help those youngsters with their development

Really illustrates we are in a world of hurt after this year is done. The emphasis for the seniors to win a flag is that much more important. No one will give a damn if we drop down mid-table for the next decade. Four flags was well worth it.

Really illustrates we are in a world of hurt after this year is done. The emphasis for the seniors to win a flag is that much more important. No one will give a damn if we drop down mid-table for the next decade. Four flags was well worth it.
True that.
I would not be against multiple retirements and a slide if we win it this year.
But knowing how hard they are to win, it's not my expectation.

Would a grand final be a pass mark?
Absolutely.
Playing Demons or Pies at the G in a GF, at their home ground- we have to be a 6 goal better team to beat them and their supporters.
Swans would be in our favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back