VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really illustrates we are in a world of hurt after this year is done. The emphasis for the seniors to win a flag is that much more important. No one will give a damn if we drop down mid-table for the next decade. Four flags was well worth it.
Depends on what trades we make this off season. In the best case scenario, we'd be up again for another 2-3 years.

Being a aligned vfl team is hard to attract experiences players for the vfl squad as they become 2nd fiddle to the afl players.
This is regardless that they may be better and that’s even if they get a game as afl always come first.
Our best games this season have been when less afl players play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We were 6 and 2 with very little AFL players playing because of injury, then a few AFL players came back now we are 6-9 and our young kids are tired now

Narkle Sav Dahlhaus are playing like they won't be at Geelong next year, they are useless better off with the top up players at least they try
Agree. It was obvious that we had no connection and these three in particular are disintereste.

Narkle highlights all happened in 4th qtr when game was over. up until then none of those senior players had any influence. All left to young guys and vfl

We were 6 and 2 with very little AFL players playing because of injury, then a few AFL players came back now we are 6-9 and our young kids are tired now
They are the facts. I think early it was some excitement with first years plus those (few) older afl players all playing like they wanted to get a spot in afl team. In fact all afl players had a good shot of debut or more games (and a handful got a chance). Miers, Narkle, Frank, Stephens all contributed early as did Sal when he played. And cegs when he played made a difference along with zuthrie and Gola Rohan when came back via vfl

‘’so yes still smaller afl numbers in first half but they weee more motivated. And better players on average. Now we have got some new first years counting as afl listed players but they are not much better than vfl listed. Indeed a couple of them would not make the coburg team to be honest.

that has all gone over last few weeks as obvious no spot up for grabs this year.

plus as you say other younger ones have looked a bit mentally cooked. Mitch and Ollie in particular it has been a long draining (exciting) year. Plus they run a lot (ollie did another 14-15km) and gets missed (either ignored or skills not there) with no connection…that wears I assume over a long year.

just hope it hasnt held back development for Ollie, Toby, mitch and even Stephens. think they will be ok…but need a couple of bigger bodies on vfl list next year!

That was some of the dumbest footy I've seen from a Geelong side in quite some time.
Do they not play in wind anymore?
Refused to attack from the right side of the ground when we had the wind ( gets locked into the boundary) , players playing from behind against the wind ( ball drops short) , no one out the back of the pack when kicking with the wind( mopped up by the opposition ), Conway on the wrong side at boundary throw ins ( wind takes it away from him) , dumbarse kicking for goal ( not allowing for the wind) , didn't man up when Coburg predictably kicked short into the wind. Staggeringly inept.
Won't comment on players except for Willis - He's showed glimpses in the couple of games I've seen which are encouraging - obviously built well but is quite dynamic around the footy and looks very quick off the mark with solid skills. Could surprise in 2023 with a full preseason.

That was some of the dumbest footy I've seen from a Geelong side in quite some time.
Refused to attack from the right side of the ground when we had the wind ( gets locked into the boundary) , players playing from behind against the wind ( ball drops short) , no one out the back of the pack when kicking with the wind( mopped up by the opposition ), Conway on the wrong side at boundary throw ins ( wind takes it away from him) , dumbarse kicking for goal ( not allowing for the wind) , didn't man up when Coburg predictably kicked short into the wind. Staggeringly inept.
Won't comment on players except for Willis - He's showed glimpses in the couple of games I've seen which are encouraging - obviously built well but is quite dynamic around the footy and looks very quick off the mark with solid skills. Could surprise in 2023 with a full preseason.
Sounds like poor coaching and lack of senior leadership on the field. All basic obvious stuff.

Narkle Sav Dahlhaus are playing like they won't be at Geelong next year, they are useless better off with the top up players at least they try

As Mark McVeigh would say, "You've checked out".

I don't blame them tbh. Probably been told no matter what you do in the next couple of weeks we will not be offering you a contract.

A couple of decent VFL games in August isn't exactly going to convince opposition clubs to bang the door down for your services either. The poor blokes are in limbo atm.

I could not agree with your post any more emphatically (I even wanted a longer sentence than “i agree” to prove my point!!).

It was embarrassing in terms of team work. I made the (regretful) decision to stay in Ballarat (actually Saturday night was nice with the wife and no kids!) and froze everything off watching Coburg kick 75% of their goals over the back with the wind….and Coburg defend the wind with someone over the back!

Then when Coburg was against the wind they switched back and forth and had 50% more possessions that us. They knew where they all would be

This was coaching in my view. Maybe it doesnt matter to them to win i suppose. Even things like putting Dempsey on the wing in 3rd qtr (given he couldnt get in the game given how poor the team went going forward in first half) - which was a great move, he got 10 touches including a couple of goal assists against the wind. But then in last qtr he goes back to backline (with the wind!) and Sav goes onto the wing (and then go forward!). Maybe again it is a small example of it being more about experimentation rather than focussed on winning. Ok, but players work that out and don’t put the extra effort in?

I agree that I think Willis could build into something. Hasn’t got much of the ball in last couple of weeks but I think, if he stays healthy, he could build over next year or two.

You have to wonder about O Bree's coaching. The conditions were such that it would have been better to keep the ball low even when kicking with the wind, but our players just bombed long and the ball went out of bounds time and again.

Meanwhile the young players are probably feeling the pinch and the 'AFL' players were mediocre, Sav in particular.

As Mark McVeigh would say, "You've checked out".

I don't blame them tbh. Probably been told no matter what you do in the next couple of weeks we will not be offering you a contract.

A couple of decent VFL games in August isn't exactly going to convince opposition clubs to bang the door down for your services either. The poor blokes are in limbo atm.
Sav has a contract though to 2023, I think...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riccardi to debut in vfl for cats on Sunday
To be honest he's been a little underwhelming this year for the Falcons but I put that down to a lack of size.

He's got some speed and class but he just doesn't get enough of the ball.

I haven’t seen him but speed and class at least provide something to work with.
He has got some skill and is quick but he's Tom Thumb like in size.

Sunday's team

VFL Round 16 Team

Ins:
Z Tuohy, O Riccardi, S Higgins, S Menegola, B Lloyd, O Tate

Outs: J Evans, L Waddell, A Byrne, S Neale, K Chalcraft, C Stephens

Team:

Backs47. M. Ling50. D. Capiron54. O. Tate
Half Backs41. Z. Williams17. E. Ratugolea21. N. Stevens
Centreline4. S. Higgins20. J. Willis10. M. Knevitt
Half Forwards37. S. Simpson73. Z. Zdybel52. J. McLachlan
Forwards31. F. Evans36. P. Tsapatolis28. O Dempsey
Followers6. T. Conway19. Q. Narkle40. L. Dahlhaus