Geelong vs WCE 2006 comeback- were you there?

Remove this Banner Ad

No one is questioning our past results except the media and jealous easterners.

Anyone who knows anything about football understands that its a team game with 22 players each week and Ben Cousins the man in question never tested positive to anything.

Anyway, this game was awesome. And then we followed it up the next week again Carlton.. wow. I was so close to turning off my tv at half time. Then we started to get the ball and everything we touched turned gold. :D

When does he get out of rehab again?

if you believe the comeback was drug assisted, then you yourself are on the shit.
Question wce peformances all you like, but while your at it, question every other clubs including your own. Our laundry is aired in the public for full view. If you dont think there are people in most clubs atleast dabbling in illegal substances then you are quite naive.

Stick to the topic. All i asked was what was the mood like after the game because it was almost a game of 2 halves by 2 good football teams.

C'mon pat you aren't that naive to think only junkies do drugs.

If you seriously think that these drugs are performance enhancing, you are deluded.

If you seriously think that only WCE players have ever touched the stuff, you are even more so.

Besides, I don't doubt the validity of your late-80s/early-90s GF appearances based on the actions of some players.

Exactly....so why question the comeback win alone? why not all clubs wins? Just accept it for what it was...a great comeback by what was and still is, a good footy team

Because, whether you like it or not, the actions of certain West Coast players and accusations of drug abuse have tainted any Eagles victories, especially miraculous ones, with the possibility that they may not have been achieved fairly.

Was pretty shattered that day, but in hindsight, I see it as a bit of a turning point. It showed me (and everyone else at Geelong) that we could play some absolutely amazing football, which resurfaced this year, and it showed the players what happens when they drop their bundle and lose it mentally.

This year, we saw more of the football that destroys opposition, and the players were more mentally prepared for the challenge. I bet Bomber used the WCE game as ammunition at half time during some of this years games.

As others have pointed out however, the pain that was generated by this game is numbed now that we are the reigning premiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because, whether you like it or not, the actions of certain West Coast players and accusations of drug abuse have tainted any Eagles victories, especially miraculous ones, with the possibility that they may not have been achieved fairly.

you live with the happy little elves dont you? Where no bad things ever happen. Drugs? No elf knows the meaning of this word.

Get your head out of the sand. Drugs are everywhere. They are probably in geelong, you just dont know it.

you live with the happy little elves dont you? Where no bad things ever happen. Drugs? No elf knows the meaning of this word.

Get your head out of the sand. Drugs are everywhere. They are probably in geelong, you just dont know it.

There would not be a football club in Australia higher than high school level where no player uses illegal drugs, and I have no doubt about that. Anybody trying to tell themselves otherwise is dreaming. West Coast has been unfairly treated IMO and Cousins has been dragged across the coals. If a Melbourne club had had similar problems, the uproar from both the media and the football public would not have been nearly as big.

The only people who honestly see this as a WCE problem rather than an AFL problem or a problem with the whole of society are those who run around with blinkers on and do not truly understand what the world is like these days.

If you seriously think that these drugs are performance enhancing, you are deluded.

If you seriously think that only WCE players have ever touched the stuff, you are even more so.

Besides, I don't doubt the validity of your late-80s/early-90s GF appearances based on the actions of some players.

In small amounts yes.

No i don't think the Eagles are the only club.

And i never said anyone for that matter was on drugs during that game.

There would not be a football club in Australia higher than high school level where no player uses illegal drugs, and I have no doubt about that. Anybody trying to tell themselves otherwise is dreaming. West Coast has been unfairly treated IMO and Cousins has been dragged across the coals. If a Melbourne club had had similar problems, the uproar from both the media and the football public would not have been nearly as big.

The only people who honestly see this as a WCE problem rather than an AFL problem or a problem with the whole of society are those who run around with blinkers on and do not truly understand what the world is like these days.

You've got to be kidding?? Do you seriously think that West Coast have been targeted by the media and are really no worse than any other club in the AFL when it comes to drugs??

West Coast have a drug culture and have covered it up as it's spiraled out of control over the past decade. Their handling of Cousins, Gardiner, Chick and a series of unnamed players has been a disgrace and has put a permanent stain on their club. Between the two WA clubs there is a blatant contrast in the off-field characteristics of their players. While the Dockers aren't angels, I'd imagine that they represent what the typical club is like and they look like Mother Theresa next to West Coast. The fact that West Coast let Cousins' problem continue on for so long and it took the media reports some 5 years later for them to finally sack him as captain says a lot about the club.

Whether meth etc. are performance enhancing or not is still questionable, but the fact that they are stimulants and the potential for performance enhancing effects means that there will always be question marks over Cousins' performance and that of the Eagles. There's nothing solid but there will always be question marks. I guess it's a bit like hiring Matt Barber as your strength coach and all of a sudden being the biggest team in the league...

I was also there, and as soon as Embley kicked his first goal in the third quarter, I knew we were in a spot of bother.

We were still a bit stiff not to hang on in the end, but it was a bitterly disappointing afternoon for myself, no doubts about it.

You've got to be kidding?? Do you seriously think that West Coast have been targeted by the media and are really no worse than any other club in the AFL when it comes to drugs??

West Coast have a drug culture and have covered it up as it's spiraled out of control over the past decade. Their handling of Cousins, Gardiner, Chick and a series of unnamed players has been a disgrace and has put a permanent stain on their club. Between the two WA clubs there is a blatant contrast in the off-field characteristics of their players. While the Dockers aren't angels, I'd imagine that they represent what the typical club is like and they look like Mother Theresa next to West Coast. The fact that West Coast let Cousins' problem continue on for so long and it took the media reports some 5 years later for them to finally sack him as captain says a lot about the club.

Whether meth etc. are performance enhancing or not is still questionable, but the fact that they are stimulants and the potential for performance enhancing effects means that there will always be question marks over Cousins' performance and that of the Eagles. There's nothing solid but there will always be question marks. I guess it's a bit like hiring Matt Barber as your strength coach and all of a sudden being the biggest team in the league...
Do you put the same question marks over the past greats of your own club?

will never forget that game. switched off the tv and got ready to go to the pub to drown my sorrows. sister storms in and screams wce are only a few points down. screamed louder at the end of the game more than the gf. simply unbelievable. at that point i thought we could go all the way. though next week nearly sent me to hospital.

Absolutely true. Cousins is fanatical on the field, fearless, runs all day, almost superhuman and without any fear of consequences. One can only surmise if some of these qualities that made him such a brilliant player were assisted by alternate means. As a footy fan, i reserve the right to simply treat West Coast, and all who sail in her, with disdain and a lack of respect. Great performances by them in the past couple of years will always have questions against them.

At least in the eyes of many footy fans. Whether they did or not is only a supposition, but one that has been brought upon the Eagles by the actions of a few of their players, and the lack of action brought on by the coach. I have vivid memories of Cousin's wild arm-swinging action up on stage upon holding the 2006 Cup with Judd. I will eat my hat if Geelong find at the end of 2008 neither Harley or Bartel at the club.
Guess you had better do the same for the Geelong team of the early 90's and especially the performances of "God", their best player, Gary Ablett Snr. given that he is a known drug user.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs WCE 2006 comeback- were you there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back