Geelong West (red)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly some only remember west in their last years. It must be noted that before North Shore and South Barwon were considered the best 'next' level in Geelong there was the roosters. The club has (I say has considering it is still in existence in some form GWSP) won 33 flags between 1838 and 1988. Gee whiz, think of the players and the football that they played, most notably Goggin, his brother Charlie, Eric Nicholls, David Darkie Harris, Terry Fulton (51, 52), George Goninion, Gilmore, Terry Bright, Brushfield, Bow, Radojevic, Sells, Wells x 2, Yates, Eddy, Gibson, Browne, Mick Higgins (Seans dad), Mark Dahlhaus (Lukes dad), Scarlett (Matts Dad), Gary Malarky, Rex Deeth, local legend Jock Evans (what a player) and even Ron Watt played for West.

There were 2x the Eddy's. Barry and Malcolm (also known as Gumby). Gumby was a bit of a freaky player. I saw him play out of his skin in a final 1/4 to almost single handedly beat Port Melbourne.
There also was Ian Durran, Robbie Mott, Roo Hammond, John Barry and Brett Torney, along with the previously mentioned Mark Dahlhaus. All who at one stage played at my club St.Albans in the Geelong Footy League. Then there was Peter McKenna (Coll, Carl, Northcote, Port Melb), Glen Middlemiss (Geelong, St.Kilda), Frazer Murphy (went on to play for Carlton), a ruckman David Manson, Steve Parsons (ex Richmond, who was involved in the big blue at Windy hill in the early 70's along with Mal Brown). There also was a Ricky Brown(e) (as well as Mark Browne, don't know if they were related) who played at West in the early seventies. Kevin Hannam, Stephen Wolfe who played in the '75 flag and wore #34 and I think that Ivan Russell also played at West. And at 2am I don't think that I can recall any others.

Nice bump The rabbi

Not sure how I missed this thread first time around. I too was a red West junior. Sounds like a later vintage than most in here. I started off at St Peters Bullants in the 1980s then at some point we moved over to West.

The centre of the ground was generally a bog all winter. It was a nice big ground though. Plenty of room for a sheep dog like me. :D

That velodrome was deadly if you had a head of steam up!

I drive past the ground each weekday too and from work

All I can add is that some of the netballers seem very attractive that I see while waiting at the lights after working back :D

My dad &uncle played VFA for red Wests. My cousin played for them in GFL. I played bullants for them as a kid till we moved.
Played against them a fair bit.Loved the grandstand. I played an inter league game there once in U/18's and I did a good kick on the wing and the crowd in the grandstand clapped it. I felt like an AFL player for a second.
Also my mum used to tell me that my grandpa used to dink her down there as a kid and then go in races on the bike track!

I used to love training under those lights.

My weeks were full back then. 2 nights training at GW and 2 nights training at north shore. Played on saturday mornings for GW (and I dont remember a hard middle to be honest, all I remember is how much dew and fog there used to be) and I played for the North Shore juniors on the sunday.

Was Goggin coach there before Geelong? I knew he'd coached there but I cant place a time on it.

Was Radojevic the one who used to kick 10 all the time?
Also didn't higgins play there after Geelong? He was the curly haired guy wasn't he? Always liked him for some reason.
Like you I lived next to the North Shore ground for a while.(2 doors down on Rose ave). I reckon I woulda struggled to get a game in North sure U/18's if we stayed there. They used to be strong from juniors all the way up. They were winning the flag every year in the seniors and ressies. Dunno what happened.
Used to like playing there also. Some of the locals were colourful.

Nice bump The rabbi

Not sure how I missed this thread first time around. I too was a red West junior. Sounds like a later vintage than most in here. I started off at St Peters Bullants in the 1980s then at some point we moved over to West.

The centre of the ground was generally a bog all winter. It was a nice big ground though. Plenty of room for a sheep dog like me. :D

The raised centre could be as hard as a rock in the warmer months.
I played for St.Albans as a kid and I would not be surprised of the old St.Albans Park ground was bigger than West. But when you take into account that the old VFA system that I watched only had 16 players on the ground for each team (for the Gen Xers, there were no wings in the VFA) and that made for some very fast transition of the footy and avoided the horrible modern AFL game style of playing like U/10's with 36 players in one half of the ground.

Something on the main board made me think of them.

Did anyone here play at the ground? Go and watch games etc?

I played for them in juniors for 1 year I think. Maybe 2. But the seniors were already done.
Big stand, huge clubrooms for juniors to be in. It was like I'd been shunted into a different world.

For some reason I felt special on that ground.
Maybe it was respect for all the guys I used to watch there live and on TV.
Or maybe it was the running track. It always made you feel like the wings were truly massive.

They used to get massive crowds (relatively) in the early days at that ground.
I remember wishing when they folded that the GFC reserves would start playing there. Just to get that deep community feel back that I missed so much.

And I lived next to and played at North Shore, but for some reason GWFC always connected with me more.

Does anyone else have any memories / pictures?
I have no pictures at all.

Nah I have nothing either. Played for them late 80s.

Loved going to their games. Radonovic was unreal.

I played in the u/16, then had to play u/19 as they had no players. So we got thumped every game. But u/16 we were quite good. They folded a year after I left, badly organised at the end.

I was one of the lucky ones that being over 6ft at 14-15 I could handle the transition to u19s but, gee there was some smaller and skinny kids playing at the level of nearly men's footy

Last edited:
Something on the main board made me think of them.

Did anyone here play at the ground? Go and watch games etc?

Yes, both. As a kid I played for St.Albans at West and we got pantsed. It was a bit unfair as St.Albans had an "A" and a "B" junior side and West did not but played against our "B" side. They beat everyone convincingly, but I could not understand why they did not play the 1st 18 sides in the GFL in those days. St.Augustines also played in the "B" grade competition with only one side but they were not very competitive at the time.

I was a regular at West oval in the Halcyon days of the VFA. I also made the trip to most of the other grounds to watch the Roosters. I would often stay and have a beer in the Pavillion after the game with the likes of old Frosty one of the trainers. He also had a bit to do with North Shore.

Williamstown could be bloody freezing with that chilly wind coming off the bay. But then again, so could West. Port Melbourne were the team that I despised the most. And most of their players and supporters had tattoos before they became cool. They were like Hawthorn to me. If Port were on TV (and they were often) I would always barrack for their opponent. Hated 'em.

I almost live across the road from the old West ground these days with the Telegraph and Saleyards hotels as bookends.

Yes, both. As a kid I played for St.Albans at West and we got pantsed. It was a bit unfair as St.Albans had an "A" and a "B" junior side and West did not but played against our "B" side. They beat everyone convincingly, but I could not understand why they did not play the 1st 18 sides in the GFL in those days. St.Augustines also played in the "B" grade competition with only one side but they were not very competitive at the time.

I was a regular at West oval in the Halcyon days of the VFA. I also made the trip to most of the other grounds to watch the Roosters. I would often stay and have a beer in the Pavillion after the game with the likes of old Frosty one of the trainers. He also had a bit to do with North Shore.

Williamstown could be bloody freezing with that chilly wind coming off the bay. But then again, so could West. Port Melbourne were the team that I despised the most. And most of their players and supporters had tattoos before they became cool. They were like Hawthorn to me. If Port were on TV (and they were often) I would always barrack for their opponent. Hated 'em.

I almost live across the road from the old West ground these days with the Telegraph and Saleyards hotels as bookends.
Ha ha. My mates dad played for Port and he had dodgy tatts that aren't even close to being cool now. Dodgy mo too. Was such a rough joint back in the day.
Now Port is full of yuppie/some hipster.
I go fishing behind the Willy oval. heck it's freezing when the wind is blowing.

Like you I lived next to the North Shore ground for a while.(2 doors down on Rose ave). I reckon I woulda struggled to get a game in North sure U/18's if we stayed there. They used to be strong from juniors all the way up. They were winning the flag every year in the seniors and ressies. Dunno what happened.
Used to like playing there also. Some of the locals were colourful.
Hang on.....

What year are we talking for rose avenue? I don't remember any kids living 2 doors down.

Ce, what year at red west?
And rabbi, I remember frosty. Well not the face, but I remember him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on.....

What year are we talking for rose avenue? I don't remember any kids living 2 doors down.

Ce, what year at red west?
About 89. Near where the cars drive in. Was only young but remember it had white fence. Still used to go to NS games with my stepdad after we left

About 89. Near where the cars drive in. Was only young but remember it had white fence. Still used to go to NS games with my stepdad after we left
I think that house was right on the border of Windsor park.
The back fence had gates?

I grew up at 45 rose avenue.
My parents were still living there in 89.

How old are you? Your name isn't Daniel is it?

No it's Dave. I'm 31 now. I can't remember if it had gates or not. Remember the shops were pretty much across the road

Oh ok. You would have been 2 when I left to join the army :D

Nice bump The rabbi

Did you play under 18's?

There also was Ian Durran, Robbie Mott, Roo Hammond, John Barry and Brett Torney, along with the previously mentioned Mark Dahlhaus. All who at one stage played at my club St.Albans in the Geelong Footy League.

Roo is actually my uncle and at 50+ still thinks it's a good idea to occasionally have a run around in some league in WA

I went to the primary school in Plume street up until 88.

Played all my juniors at Windsor Park and surrounds.

There were 2x the Eddy's. Barry and Malcolm (also known as Gumby). Gumby was a bit of a freaky player. I saw him play out of his skin in a final 1/4 to almost single handedly beat Port Melbourne.
There also was Ian Durran, Robbie Mott, Roo Hammond, John Barry and Brett Torney, along with the previously mentioned Mark Dahlhaus. All who at one stage played at my club St.Albans in the Geelong Footy League. Then there was Peter McKenna (Coll, Carl, Northcote, Port Melb), Glen Middlemiss (Geelong, St.Kilda), Frazer Murphy (went on to play for Carlton), a ruckman David Manson, Steve Parsons (ex Richmond, who was involved in the big blue at Windy hill in the early 70's along with Mal Brown). There also was a Ricky Brown(e) (as well as Mark Browne, don't know if they were related) who played at West in the early seventies. Kevin Hannam, Stephen Wolfe who played in the '75 flag and wore #34 and I think that Ivan Russell also played at West. And at 2am I don't think that I can recall any others.

Reading your bumped thread - and the earlier posts - i mentioned an Oakleigh Geelong West game the only game i attended their - you mention a John Barry - which twigged my memory - i thought GW had a Jamie Barry - half forward flanker

That game i attended Jamie Barry did something which shows what players would do to win a game of football back then- in the last couple of minutes GW were leading by less than a goal - and the ball was in a precarious place - about 50 metres out from the Oakleigh goal - on the outer side - and there was an all in brawl -the umpire was distracted by that -and totally involved in that - so Jamie Barry moved the ball about 15 metres further out from Oakleighs goal - and lied on top of the ball chest downwards thus it was a kick and a bit from goal - and Barrys opponent ( the only 2 not involved in the fight) -was trying to drag Barry back along the ground with the ball to where it should have been

The umpire after breaking up the fight - looked to see where the ball was - and bounced it - to where Barry had moved it to - 65 metres out from Oakleighs goal - true story that

Like Vdubs I ventured down to the Church Street oval and watched as many games as I could. The period 1972 - 1975 were definitely the halcyon days for the Roosters. Undefeated in 1972 in 2nd Division, and then a first division premiership a few years later. Supporting Geelong West made sense in that period. The Cats were crap and the Roosters were sensational. Names like the Browne brothers, Terry Bright, Rex Deeath, David Manson, Joe Radojevic, David 'Darky' Harris (very politically incorrect nickname) and Glenn Middlemiss - all went on to play for Geelong.

In 2011 The Footy Almanac put together a team of the decade for the Roosters, including wingmen to get the full quota

B B Eddy, J Smith, H Smith

H/B: J Kline, J Friend, I Russell

C: D Harris, A Gilmore, G Wells

H/F: R Browne, P Stephens, T Bright

F: G McLean, J Radojevic, S Wells

Foll: W Yates, M Browne, W Goggin

Inter: D Manson, A Lynch, G Middlemiss, P Evans

Emer: R Deeath, J Barry, T Colley, C Arklay

Coach: W Goggin

What I never appreciated back then was that Geelong West only played in the VFA for 25 years, from 1963 to 1988. Note too 'S Wells'!! We have to thank Geelong West for producing that gem.

Do you remember Hoggy?

He was always down there on a Sunday.
He is now more known for his infamy these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong West (red)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back